Urgent help required with EMC please

More
18 Aug 2016 00:22 #78967 by sxyuklad
Ok, I googled a bit and I found out this is a windows to linux error thing. Lline feeds are different CRLF (Windows) and LF (Linux). But the question is how can I convert or see the linefeeds?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2016 00:28 #78968 by sxyuklad
Fixed. It was two mouse clicks operation to convert dos/windows format to unix/mac format with Notepad++

More
18 Aug 2016 08:40 #78977 by cncbasher
Be careful using windows to edit linux files , it can cause a multitude of problems
install geany on your linuxcnc machine ( sudo apt-get install -y geany )

More
18 Aug 2016 09:04 #78979 by sxyuklad
I was trying to install

sudo apt-get install notepadqq

I have already added repository and updated but it will still not install. I would try the one you suggested. Thank you. I am going to test my ATC comp in an hour, I am really hoping it works this time. Spent so many hours checking and making sure there are no error. Even checked the login with C IDE by giving dummy variable values, the result was positive. Now I am not sure it will work the same way as it compile with C IDE and ran perfect.

Wish me luck and I will update the post just in case anyone has the same setup as mine and he will not have to go through all what I did. (But only if it works perfect, lol). Can I put your name along with others who helped me in the credit sections of the comp?

More
18 Aug 2016 09:04 #78980 by andypugh
Notepad++ is line-end aware, and is a pretty nice editor. (has syntax highlighting, for example and a powerful macro system)
We have a macro at work for Notepad++ that lets you select a variable in a C-code listing and gets you the live value of the variable in the currently-running code on the engine control unit.

A bit of Googling suggests that there are plans for a NP++ Linux version. That would be nice.

More
18 Aug 2016 11:41 #78984 by sxyuklad
It will be wonderful if someone can bring Notepad++ to linux. I cannot resist using it as alternative to simple text editor. Any other suggestions for a nice text editor similar to NP++ for linux? I googled and found Notepadqq but sadly I cant install it from the sudo apt comannd and since I do not know any other way to install an application so I do know how I can install. Even this sudo apt-get installing method I learnt a day or two ago, lol.

Good news is after working and working and working on my comp, finally my ATC is working absolutely perfect now. I will post the detailed info on it later in case someone wants a readymade comp for the setup I have.

For now, I want to know if there is anyway I can send counted precise pulses to an output on the parallel port pin. I know there has to be, this is how steppers are working and making precise movement. But I do not know how to do that.

I will explain what I am trying to do here. I have an external counter. This counter has a Reset Pin and a Pulse pin. Since my tool change atc is working now. What I want to do is put this nice little counter on my machine for tool no. in turret. So basically when the tool change command is sent I want an output to reset is, it is pretty easy I can do it with a small relay. But by the end of toolchange process, I want to send equal pulses to an output pin. For example, tool 4 was called and it has been set, now that out must send 4 pulses to an outpin so that the counter says 4. And similarly for tool no. 5, 5 pulses and so on. I know it should be pretty easy with stepgen thing. But I do not know what to add in hal file and how to connect pins in my ATC component, though I have successfully created fully working ATC comp, hehehe.

Let us say a variable "tnumber" in my comp is holding the number of pulses to send out (tool no. in turret basically). What how will the code like like? And I want to use Pin 14 on my parallel port. What I need to add in hal file and how to connect pin to my component and what type of pin should it be for connecting between hal and comp (like s32, param or what)?

More
18 Aug 2016 11:56 #78985 by andypugh

I googled and found Notepadqq but sadly I cant install it from the sudo apt comannd and since I do not know any other way to install an application so I do know how I can install.

You can search for, and install, software with the Synaptic Package Manager application.

The default editor in Debian is Mousepad. I rather prefer Gedit, but Gedit gets installed with about 200MB of dependencies (basically the whole Gnome Desktop) so I can't really recommend it for Debian.

More
18 Aug 2016 12:14 #78987 by cncbasher
yes notepadqq is a bit involved to install as you need to build from source , however you'll find geany in synaptic package manager
or install using apt-get , it's far better than the buggy gedit .

i wonder why you want to export the tool number is this for a digital display , or to move a stepper , all this is within linuxcnc etc? ,
as for example the tool number can be shown in axis and all integral to linuxcnc .
i just wonder if you realise what is already in linuxcnc , and your thinking in terms of Mach3 and windows , which throws you off course .
linuxcnc has quite a lot under the hood and as it can easily output 9 or more stepgens etc .

More
18 Aug 2016 12:47 #78988 by sxyuklad
cncbasher

No, you did not get my point. The counter is a digital counter externally. See images attached. Not within the linuxcnc.

You can see, it has nice display. I can easily fit this inside my exterbal cabinet where my other external buttons are going to be. For now I have a few button at work, like estop. You can see it has a reset pin and pulse pin. The number of pulses it receives, it shows the number. So the idea is I want to send out exact number of pulses as to what the current tool is. So I hope you better understand now why I want to show tool no. It is for a nice looking machine cabinet.
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2016 12:48 #78989 by sxyuklad
counter
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds