Starting over

More
20 Sep 2016 17:06 #80678 by Patrick Obrien
Starting over was created by Patrick Obrien
I purchased a three axis kit with 4 steppers, 4' by 8'. Two on the X, one on the Y and the Z. I have it together and am installing limit switches on all the axis extremes. I don't have a router yet.

I bought a Mesa 5i25 and G540 before I'd thought it though.Linux I know but learning Linuxcnc, the Geko and the Mesa was a bit more than I expected. Not knocking them but I've since read of a lot of other frustrated guys fighting that config and having problems getting the HAL and INI worked out, especially on a 4-axis machine with a lot of switches.

I am not married to either the Mesa or the Geko. I would like to discover and use the hardware which has mature config files and best support within the forum. I realize I could get my existing hardware working after I do endless edits and hammer the forum with questions while you teach me esoteric HAL programming but I'd rather swim with rather than against the tide.

Which config is the most robust and best supported within the group? What hardware does it expect to interface too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2016 19:08 - 20 Sep 2016 19:10 #80685 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Starting over

Which config is the most robust and best supported within the group? What hardware does it expect to interface too?

Probably parallel port and G540.

And that might be the way to go. Set up for a G540 with stepconf and the parallel port. Then swap the parallel port for the 5i25 when you feel more comfortable with the rest of the system.

You don't have a 4-axis machine, you have a 3-axis machine. You can just connect X-step and X-dir to two pins each on the parport in stepconf.

Eventually I would suggest installing the 5i25 and upgrading LinuxCNC to 2.8 where support for systems with more than one motor per axis are significantly better supported.

Or, just hammer the forum with questions, it helps us feel useful :-)
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 19:10 by andypugh.

More
20 Sep 2016 20:05 #80688 by Patrick Obrien
Replied by Patrick Obrien on topic Starting over
I thought about the wiring shortcut but then remembered how many ways I could regret that. Just me.

Ok question one. I don't recall a global for the interface,something like

interface = parport
# interface = 5i25

so there must be a config rewrite. I looked through the forum but didn't find a guide.. If there is a form reference I missed, let me know.

More
20 Sep 2016 20:16 #80690 by andypugh
Have you tried running PNCConf?

More
20 Sep 2016 20:49 #80693 by Patrick Obrien
Not in a while. I recall it wanted an 5i25 with another mesa card. G540 was not an option.

More
21 Sep 2016 17:37 - 21 Sep 2016 17:44 #80728 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Starting over
Is the 5i25 flashed for the G540?

www.mesaus.com/info/mesaflash.html

The biggest problem people have are with the charge pump on the G540 which can be turned off.

If you have a lot of I/O you might consider a 7i76 or a standard breakout board attached to P2.

JT
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 17:44 by BigJohnT.

More
21 Sep 2016 21:52 #80749 by andypugh

Not in a while. I recall it wanted an 5i25 with another mesa card. G540 was not an option.

Because the pin allocation is set in firmware, and not HAL, it turns out that the HAL code is almost (and sometimes exactly) the same even if the firmware and physical pins change. So you can use the settings for a probotix breakout as long as your actual firmware is G540.

So, in PNCConf choose the 5i25 internal data and prob_rfx2 option (which is a simple dumb breakout). and choose "accept component changes"
Then configure connector 3. (which is the DB25 connector on the 5i25) and you will see "unused stepgens" numbered 0, 1, 2 and 3. Choose axes for these to suit how you want to wire the G540, for example 0 = X, 1 = tandem X, 2 = Y, 3 = Z.

I think that GPIO 000 is charge pump on the G540? If so then choose GPIO 000 as control-> charge-pump

This setup should be really very close:

Attachments:

More
21 Sep 2016 21:56 #80751 by andypugh
Having followed this through, I see that you can't change the PGain fro 50 for the stepper PID. Is that the right number?

More
21 Sep 2016 23:37 #80757 by Patrick Obrien

Is the 5i25 flashed for the G540? The biggest problem people have are with the charge pump on the G540 which can be turned off.

If you have a lot of I/O you might consider a 7i76 or a standard breakout board attached to P2.

It came that way and I've redone it several times. I'm not against either but I get into trouble doing configuration tweaks. My logic was to use what everyone else is using on an 4 motor 3-axis and avoid the hole most rookie tweakers fall into.

I would love to have an I/O problem. Not there yet.

More
21 Sep 2016 23:39 #80758 by Patrick Obrien

... you can't change the PGain from 50 for the stepper PID.

You lost me there but I will give the above a try.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds