Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit

More
25 Mar 2017 02:37 #90237 by tommylight
Nice! Glad you got it working.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2017 09:04 #90339 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
Working on button panel.... Going to get a wrap done... Need some colors on the machine....

Attachments:

More
27 Mar 2017 09:51 #90340 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
Love the bottom left. I think PCW should come up with an official MESA inside logo :)
Oh and the logo in the top right is cool too :ohmy:

More
27 Mar 2017 10:57 #90346 by bevins

Love the bottom left. I think PCW should come up with an official MESA inside logo :)
Oh and the logo in the top right is cool too :ohmy:

Thanks,

I need a higher res LinuxCNC logo, dont know if this will come out good. Maybe I will try and vectorize it and scale it up.

More
27 Mar 2017 13:18 #90364 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
Hmm, I'll put my old printers hat back on. A Vector would be best by far.

If you use a bitmap, 300dpi is preferred but on a digital colour output device, you can get away with 200 dpi and maybe even as low as 150dpi. Resize the image (without rescaling or rendering) to the required dpi and you will know the maximum safe size.

Also there is an image in the source code for LinuxCnc that is used on the opening splash screen, is that any better resolution?

And this one found by googling "Linuxcnc"logo" is big enough to print perfectly (3008 pixels wide so will print 10"wide) even if its not the official one....

diy.vegashelicam.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LinuxCNC-A.jpg

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Mar 2017 13:29 #90366 by bevins

Hmm, I'll put my old printers hat back on. A Vector would be best by far.

If you use a bitmap, 300dpi is preferred but on a digital colour output device, you can get away with 200 dpi and maybe even as low as 150dpi. Resize the image (without rescaling or rendering) to the required dpi and you will know the maximum safe size.

Also there is an image in the source code for LinuxCnc that is used on the opening splash screen, is that any better resolution?

And this one found by googling "Linuxcnc"logo" is big enough to print perfectly (3008 pixels wide so will print 10"wide) even if its not the official one....

diy.vegashelicam.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LinuxCNC-A.jpg

Oh, I like that one
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
27 Mar 2017 15:06 #90376 by tommylight
Me too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
24 Jun 2017 09:00 #94881 by jazial
Replied by jazial on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
Hi all,

I'm starting a retrofit on a rover 346 too.

I was planning to use Mesa cards, but I'm facing a dilemma : As the version of the machine I have is running serial modules for I/Os 2 solutions are possible.
1 - remove the serial modules and replace it with Mesa cards and relays (because most of solenoids are too powerful for just using Mesa cards outputs)
but I have a problem with the room available to fit relays and mesa cards into Z axis

2 - sniff and hack the protocol used by the modules and reuse it
but I don't have the knowledge to do it alone.

I have some details on the serial link, it is a fancy 9 bits protocol @ 750kbps

I've found source code for a C51 family processor that have been used to talk to this modules, but the programmer don't remember exactly how it works.

I plan to find or buy a protocol analyzer, and log the communications between CNC and modules.

At this time, I have electrical and pneumatic documentation, mesa cards (7i77, 7i84, 7i71 x2, 7i70, 7i73 and 7i74), a lot of relays (100+).
What I've done on the machine :

compressed air leaks (a lot)
mechanical fixes (a few, but a lot of cleaner and grease)

As it will take some time to re wire everything, it's an option for me to spend this time with serial protocol hacking. I can use the extra stuff in other machines, and I'll be pleased to make something that can be used by others. I've done a lot of retrofits using the knowledge I've found over the internet, so it's my turn to help others.

80C51 source code :

File Attachment:

File Name: uart_multi...er.c.txt
File Size:10 KB

Serial module brochure

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2017 12:23 #94887 by Todd Zuercher
Are you sure?,A Mesa 7i66 is rated at more than twice the current of your old boxes (2.5A vs 700mA)

More
24 Jun 2017 13:08 #94889 by jazial
Replied by jazial on topic Biesse Rover 346 Retrofit
You're right, 7i66 would do the job.

I didn't pay attention to this card, and it would have been easier to start from here...

I think I'll go that way, replacing CNI modules by 7i66 cards.

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds