LinuxCNC/Machinekit on i.MX6 board

More
22 Nov 2017 00:50 #102167 by savoyyang
morning sir,
I know LinuxCNC/ Machinekit can transplant to BeagleBoneBlack and Raspberry Pi3(Debian or ubuntu?),Now I want to transplant LinuxCNC/Machinekit on i.MX6 board,but can't find more information on internet. I know this is possible, but there is no more information, who has this experience and asks for communication , thank you very much.

This is some resources
image: Debian Image

realtime: Xenomai packages in Debian

This is what I think:
1、transplant debian to i.MX6 (or ubuntu??? Which is more suitable for transplantation? )
2、transplant Xenomai to i.MX6 ( or preempt-RT Which is more suitable for transplantation? )
3、transplant LinuxCNC/Machinekit to i.MX6 ( Which is more suitable for transplantation? )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2017 01:37 #102169 by InMyDarkestHour
I was going to suggest the machinekit group, but I see you have already posted there.

If you aren't going with any other motion control (eg MESA) I'd really think about the BeagleBone Black. The PRU module allows for step generation independent of the underlying OS. I was going to say hardware step generation, but the PRU is really a 200MHz micro controller. They are pre built images for it and I know someone who has some prototype boards for a cape that they are willing to give away to interested parties.

You'll hear about people harp on about the graphics on the BBB but honestly I don't really feel it's a problem even when running axis. I have it running my BF20 / G0704 mill.

That's just my 2 cents. If you have reasons to use your particular setup just ignore everything I've said about the BBB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: savoyyang

More
23 Nov 2017 01:36 #102237 by savoyyang
hello ozzyrob,
First,thank you for your suggestion.As you said I have reasons to use my particular setup.we want to control more than 4 Axis in motion control .The i.MX6 performance will be better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

More
23 Nov 2017 01:40 #102239 by InMyDarkestHour
Good luck my friend, let us know how you get on.

More
23 Nov 2017 01:47 #102240 by tommylight
If you need more than 4 axis, PiDicnc can do that with RPI3, i have a setup with 4 stepper and 4 servo (analogue -+10V) controlled by 1 RPI3 at the same time, making 8 axis. You can add cards as you need.
pidicnc.com/

More
26 Nov 2017 15:24 #102353 by andypugh

image: Debian Image

LinuxCNC and Machinekit can both run on RTAI, preempt RT or Xenomai.

You probably can't get RTAI for your kernel and hardware, and I would suggest that Preempt-RT might well be the easiest path to follow.

There might be information here that you can use: community.nxp.com/thread/395071

There is a good chance that the Machinekit folk have a pre-made kernel that will work.

More
26 Nov 2017 15:26 #102354 by andypugh
But, looking at the price of i.MX6 boards, I am not sure that a standard PC might not be cheaper, and will be a whole lot easier.

More
08 Dec 2017 02:18 #102756 by savoyyang
First,thank you for taking the time to offer your advice, I have already installed Xenomai based i.MX6 ,running Ubuntu 12.04, and next step is installation LinuxCNC/Machinekit,What I see on www.machinekit.io/docs/getting-started/i...kages/#configure-apt is based on Debian, and is Debian making it easier to install Machinekit / LinuxCNC in my i.MX6 board? Ubuntu can do it, too?

More
08 Dec 2017 02:27 #102758 by andypugh
You can probably get the armhf version of the executable from the buildbot, just follow the instructions here:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org

More
08 Dec 2017 02:28 #102759 by andypugh
But building LinuxCNC from source is also an option, and isn't all that hard.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds