Gcode sharing folder ( Debian / Windows 7)

More
08 Apr 2018 03:00 #108589 by papaours
How can i do to not use a USB key to transfert Gcode from windows CAM software to Linuxcnc ( debian Wheezi )

I am not good at all with Linux command but i can copy/past.
Debian wont let me do anything with "SUDO" and force me to use "SU"
I already failed trying to install Dropbox or configure Samba.

Thank you for Helping me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2018 07:16 #108591 by InMyDarkestHour
Samba is easy to configure, there are some great tutorials around.

Or you can use scp as described here:

www.garron.me/en/articles/scp.html#windows

There is nothing hard about using the command line, it just takes a bit of time to get used to it, eventually you will need to use it one day.

More
08 Apr 2018 14:14 #108602 by Todd Zuercher
I load and run files directly from a network server, a reasy-nas share.

More
08 Apr 2018 21:21 #108626 by rodw

I load and run files directly from a network server, a reasy-nas share.

Me too, except I use Synology. I just made a new user on the NAS with the same credentials as my LinuxCNC box uses so it gets its own home folder.

More
09 Apr 2018 19:13 - 09 Apr 2018 19:15 #108674 by papaours
Thank you for your answer.

After thinking of a 10000$ Sinumerik 828d retrofit, i finally call a friend who love plaiying with Linux terminal.

He dit it with teamviewer on my laptop wich was connected to the Cnc Pc trought "putty.exe"
We failed to install teamviewer on the Debian Wheezi.

At the end it was more easy to share folder from Linux to windows7 than the opposite, and Gmoccapy won't let me mount network drive so i will definitely go for a NAS solution. ( wich will not solve Gmoccapy network hiding )

In my opinion, for improvement in the future teamviewer or non commercial equivalent should be native on the Linux CNC liveCD, and the documentation should describe how to share file between other computer ( it was easier in Ubuntu )

If you look for SAMBA configuration in the forum, except this post which did not solve the "SMB" problem, there is nothing yet.......

Thank again to all of you.

M.P.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 19:15 by papaours.

More
10 Apr 2018 05:48 #108707 by Donno
You can install openssh on linux box but instead of using putty you can use WinSCP for easy dropping and dragging files across. You can have a permanent drive in windows file system if you install netdrive, it work like old map network drive but includes drives over SSH

More
10 Apr 2018 21:49 #108773 by tommylight
You can use VNC for complete remote control of the desktop environment, use samba or smb for network shares, use lisa daemon for finding network shares or use pynetwork for the same, use NFS for full access over the network, use FTP server and Filezilla with a GUI to transfer files, use SSH and terminal, etc etc etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: papaours

More
16 Apr 2018 20:01 #109140 by newbynobi
You can load within gmoccapy a file from any network location as a shared nertwork folder is also only a folder for linux!

Just mount the share at startup and you will be able to navigate to that folder.

Norbert

More
17 Apr 2018 02:31 #109154 by rodw
Mounting a share is one of the most confusing things. Everybody says just mount it but it is hard to find a step by step tutorial so it would be great if somebody could point us in the right direction o a complete example

This is more confusing today becasue Mint and other distros allow you to browse the network but if it not mounted to a folder programs like gmoccappy and heaps of others can't see it.

The closest I've come to is this which works for me, but I have been unable to make it stick so it mounts on startup
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=rod,password=xxxxxxxx //192.168.1.xxx/home /media/ds

This mounts my home folder on my Synology NAS to the folder /media/ds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bats

More
17 Apr 2018 03:06 #109157 by Todd Zuercher
The problem is there are multiple ways to do this, with different variations required depending on the Linux distribution and version that you are using. My best suggestion is to Google mounting a windows share with your specific distro. Most of my cnc mount the network share with a line in fstab. But I have also used a sim link to a .gvfs directory. Gvfs is how the gui apps usually see network file systems.

Time to create page: 0.825 seconds