General Help

More
04 May 2018 14:46 #110207 by tjd
Replied by tjd on topic General Help
Limited success today. Got the X axis servo and encoder working. Thry're going in the right directions and counting pulses.
However, when in PNCconf and after clicking on TEST and enabling amplifier, the servo begins to drift ever so slightly in one direction.
I've played around a little with the PID figures but nothing I do seems to remove or even increase the drift.
Initial figures are deafult: P=50, FF1=1

Tuning documentation says to increase P until loop becomes unstable (I'm assuming this means the axis oscillates in both directions ??) but increasing P doesn't seem to change anything.

Any thoughts???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2018 15:34 #110209 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic General Help
If it drifts it suggests that you are not actually in control.

Is the PID active? Have a look at the error and output pins in Halmeter.

More
04 May 2018 15:43 #110211 by tjd
How do I know if PID is enabled? (rookie question, I’m sure!)

Must confess I don’t really understand enough about the HAL side of all this - took me all day to get the halscope working!

So far I’ve been doing all my testing and tweaking through the PNCconf setup wizard, using the open loop encoder/servo rest. I read somewhere else in the forum today I can actually run some test through AXIS itself???

More
04 May 2018 16:20 #110212 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic General Help
The key words in the pncconf test are "open loop", so drift is expected
you need to run a real configuration in axis (or other GUI) to actually tune your system
Do expect runaways when you start until you have the feedback direction correct so make sure
your drive enables are working and you hand is over the estop button/power switch

More
04 May 2018 16:35 #110215 by tjd
Sound advice!!
Ok, thanks very much for all the help so far.... keep you posted!

More
08 May 2018 10:19 #110373 by tjd
Hi all,
Have made some progress with servos and encoders on the X axis. Am trying to set up the limit switches. I've got them to deliver a signal correctly but now, when in Axis I can drive the table to the limit switch but then Axis stops and I can't back off the limit switch?
Is there some setting I have to check or do I need to edit the software?

More
08 May 2018 10:46 #110376 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic General Help
You should have an "ignore limits" check-box in the left-side section of the screen.

(If you have separate max and min limits set up I think that you are allowed to jog off the limit automatically, but if both limits share an input pin the system has no way to know which way is "off")
The following user(s) said Thank You: tjd

More
08 May 2018 15:48 #110388 by tjd
OK thanks for that. I've noticed that the 'ignore limits' check box is greyed out though some of the time.

Am now trying to have a go at PID tuning. Have followed documentation and have got some signals on the halscope. However, when I go to jog the axis it seems to jump then smooth out. Can I count this jump as the 'oscillations' refered to in the documentation?

More
08 May 2018 15:52 #110389 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic General Help
I have separate min and max limits, and still have to check the override limits to be able to jog off of one. It is a small check box on the left side of the screen. It is normally greyed out until you hit one of the limits.

More
08 May 2018 23:56 #110404 by JohnnyCNC
Replied by JohnnyCNC on topic General Help

You should have an "ignore limits" check-box in the left-side section of the screen.

(If you have separate max and min limits set up I think that you are allowed to jog off the limit automatically, but if both limits share an input pin the system has no way to know which way is "off")

THANK YOU! That is really helpful info. I never noticed that checkbox because it was grayed out. Occasionally I get my Z stuck on the limit and I would jump the micro switch to get off of it.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds