Just Getting Started Have Servos Need Direction

More
18 May 2019 02:21 #134094 by JuniorC
I'm inserted in building a CNC router. I have several Parker GV servo drives and SM motors. I have a cheap breakout board the only does single ended STEP and DIRECTION for the axis. I was told that the drives can be configured for a single ended step and direction signal which there could be issues with noise causing unwanted steps. Or I could configure the drive for a directional signal which would be more stable. I also have an old computer with a parallel port that use to run on windows xp.
Will my drives and motors work with LinuxCNC? If so what brand or type of breakout board is recommended, and is the old computer good enough or do I need a newer computer? I do know that most of the newer computers don't have a parallel port. So is there a card with a parallel port that can be installed in a newer computer that would be compatible with LinuxCNC?
Any info would be great appreciated. There will be possibly more question in the future.
There has been files attached that contains info and specs of the servos and motors I have.

Thanks,
JuniorC
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2019 06:51 #134105 by pl7i92
Hi
First this will work as you expected

IF you invest some money for a 7i77 kombination you will get a REAL mashine acting on -+10V
with all the benefit of the servo Mashine in Speed and Precicion

More
18 May 2019 10:56 #134163 by JuniorC
Thanks for your quick response. Is there any certain computer set up? Will this breakout board control a router motor that is driven by a VFD?

Thanks again

More
18 May 2019 22:01 #134220 by tommylight

Thanks for your quick response. Is there any certain computer set up? Will this breakout board control a router motor that is driven by a VFD?

Thanks again

7i77 can control 5 axis plus a spindle, all with +-10V and all with differential or single ended encoders with or without index signals, has 32 inputs and 16 outputs, and it needs one of the following : a 5i25 for PCI, a 6i25 for PCI expres or a 7i92 for Ethernet control .

More
19 May 2019 06:10 #134237 by Hakan
Regarding the computer, there is always that thing with how precise in time it can be. Jitter. You can install a live linuxcnc linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html and measure the jitter. For parallel ports one wants jitter to be below som value, don't remember which. With a mesa card the jitter requirement is reduced to the point that almost any PC works.

About the 7i77 and analog interface - is it really the best interface? The drive is digital, isn't it better with a digital interface then?

More
19 May 2019 06:25 #134240 by pl7i92
you can also go ethernet with the 7i92 + 7i77 combiation instat of using pci

digital woudt be great for him is this suppurted by linuxcnc

More
19 May 2019 07:09 #134245 by Hakan
The drive seems to be configurable +-10V analog, Step/Direction and CW/CCW. I think of the last two as digital interface. Not very advanced like more high-end, but still. So, is +-10V better than Step/Dir or CW/CCW? I feel it might cause a flame war, but that is not the intention.

More
19 May 2019 10:33 #134258 by JuniorC
Thanks to all of the replies. I'm looking and shopping around for a 7i77. This seems to be the way to go. As far as a card I'm not sure. Have to see what type of card my old desktop supports. If it's not too hard to configure for the 7i92 card. I have an extra laptop that is fairly new.
I'm still educating myself on the drive and how to get everything to communicate. As far as analog and digital not sure if this is going to be an issue for what I'm wanting to do.
With that being said. I know very little about controls but I'm a self educated on several things. A little about myself. Just an old country boy that went to a vocational school for tool and die. Worked in machine shops for several years which transitioned to maintenance and then an automation tech. I have CNC programming experience and some PLC programming. Hope I didn't babble too much. Just thought I would let you all know my skill set. So this is why you may get asked some silly questions.

Thanks again.

More
19 May 2019 11:39 #134262 by PCW
If this is your first CNC project and experience with LinuxCNC, you might be
better off using the drives step/direction interface, as its much easier to get
basic motion and easier to troubleshoot than servo system with feedback to LinuxCNC.

You should be able to run the drive with just a parallel port
on a junk PC so probably don't need to buy any hardware to get started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh

More
19 May 2019 14:14 #134275 by pl7i92
you may need a small breakout board 8USD
as i use to test mashining

nice easy and dirty

but it also works in big scale

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds