Just Getting Started Have Servos Need Direction

More
24 Oct 2019 22:53 #148763 by tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2019 00:41 #149085 by JuniorC
I had on error during installation of linuxcnc. Not sure if it's anything to worry about.

More
30 Oct 2019 00:42 #149086 by JuniorC
Attachments:

More
30 Oct 2019 07:37 #149132 by tommylight
Just point it to a different repository, that works always.

More
30 Oct 2019 12:09 #149156 by JuniorC
I'll give it a try..

Thanks again
JuniorC

More
30 Oct 2019 12:50 #149160 by JuniorC
I just read your post on Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.1. I'm going to give it a try.

My current install is Debian Wheezy. Since it's an older version could this also cause the cannot access repository?

Sorry I didn't give the operating system version earlier.

Thanks again
JuniorC

More
30 Oct 2019 13:16 #149163 by tommylight

My current install is Debian Wheezy. Since it's an older version could this also cause the cannot access repository?

I got it from the screen shot, and it is not supported any more. It can still be used and updated to a certain extent by changing the repositories, but it is to old.
If you just want to have things working quickly, try this, it does work for 19.2 also.
Warning, if you intend to use a parallel port, this is not the version to use, it will work, but the step rate will be very low.
Then again, if you have a new computer, give it a try, it works nicely.
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...nd-easy-installation

More
30 Oct 2019 17:57 #149198 by JuniorC
For right now I'm going to use the parallel port along with a cheap breakout board. I have some Parker Gemini steppers and drives. The computer was built back in 2008. It's a Asus motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ @ 2600MHZ.

Once I get comfortable with the linuxcnc, learn the setup of the drives, and get everything to communicate. Then I'm going to purchase a Mesa setup to go along with some Parker Gemini servos that I already have.

This is an extremely budgeted build. I've been stockpiling linear track, ball screws, and whatever else I might need for this build. I'm planning on getting a newer computer but not at this point.

Thanks again for your help and sharing your knowledge.

JuniorC

More
30 Oct 2019 18:11 #149199 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.

More
13 Nov 2019 05:45 #150265 by JuniorC
I've got the Linux Mint Mate 19.1 installed. I followed your Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.1 quick and easy installation. The package Installer says that both the linux-headers&image have already been installed. When pressing Ctrl and Shift the grub2 menu when it restarts. So I was going to download the linuxcnc. When I open the folder there's several downloads to choose from. Which one do I need?

Thanks,
JuniorC
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds