Just Getting Started Have Servos Need Direction

More
13 Nov 2019 05:46 #150266 by JuniorC
Sorry about the extra pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2019 09:34 #150277 by tommylight
linuxcnc-userspacexxxxxxxxxxxxxamd64.deb
usually the last one with that name.

More
13 Nov 2019 12:03 #150285 by JuniorC
Thanks, I'll download it later.

More
14 Nov 2019 20:35 #150387 by JuniorC
Linuxcnc has been installed with no errors. Ran a latency test last night. When I first opened the browser the Servo thread went to 102xxx and the Base thread went to 114xxx. After reset statistics and opening several windows with YouTube videos playing and along with LibreCAD going. The Servo thread went to 49497 and the Base thread went to 72118.
From what you guys have shared and what I've read and somewhat comprehended. This seems fairly decent. So I'm going to tryout the cheap breakout board and the steppers this weekend. If I'm successful then I'll purchase a Mesa card setup and try the servos.
Thanks for all the help,
JuniorC

More
02 Dec 2019 04:10 #151723 by JuniorC
I was able to download Parker Motion Planner. Check and verify that the drives was configured for the drives I have and it was setup for step/direction. I also was enabled the drives to verify that the steppers were working. All is good so far.
The breakout board that have didn't have any information with but with a little help from GOOGLE, we were able to find some screenshots of a Mach3 setup. I feel comfortable that I have figured out the pinout for the parallel port correctly.
Now I've ran into a little problem. I opened the STEPCONF and need some info. I can't find the Stepper Drive Timing for the Parker Gemini Gt drives. I've downloaded several documents on these drives. I've searched through them several times. But I not seeing this info, it's a very good possibly that I'm looking over it.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

It's taking me some time to get here. It's been a learning experience that I'm enjoying. I'm ready to see the steppers move with the control of Linuxcnc.

Thanks again,
JuniorC

More
02 Dec 2019 10:36 #151738 by tommylight
Start with 15000 as that will work for almost any drive.

More
02 Dec 2019 13:10 #151742 by JuniorC
I'll give it a try. Once I get everything to communicate. I'll post a video.

Thanks,
JuniorC

More
03 Dec 2019 16:59 #151891 by JuniorC
I ran into a little issue. While I was searching through all the documents to my drives and steppers for info for the stepconf. I found that the drives needs a directional input for the step and direction. I'm not sure if the Chinese 5 axis breakout board axis outputs are single ended or directional. Has anyone ran into this issue? If so will cause any major problems if I try to run the drives?

Thanks,
JuniorC

More
04 Dec 2019 02:37 #151936 by PCW
The step/dir inputs do appear to be differential inputs that expect line driver type
interface circuitry.

The inexpensive parallel port BOBs are single ended so will not interface directly,
but can be made to interface with some added components (a couple resistors)

Basically what you do is make a low resistance voltage divider from 5V to 2.5V
(say with two 22 ohm 1/2W resistors) and user the 2.5V as a reference for the STEP- and DIR - pins. With 2.5V on the - inputs the BOBs single ended 5V out connected to the + inputs generates a voltage difference between the + and - pins of +2.5V in one state and -2.5V in the other state. This is sufficient to drive the differential inputs.

More
04 Dec 2019 03:33 #151940 by JuniorC
I'll give it a try. I'll have to order me some resistors or find something old laying around the shop. That I can borrow from. The BOB I have, has only one + for both pulse and direction on all axis. I have attached a diagram of what I have.

So will placing a resistor on each of the pulse - and direction - to one of the two PC 5V. Won't interfere with each other?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds