Help with Mesa 7i76E, Cannot get it working.

More
15 Sep 2019 19:26 #145281 by itstheburns327
LBP16 protocol version 3.
board firmware version 15.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2019 19:36 #145282 by PCW
I think version 15 may have the CR1 issue, it should be OK otherwise
Does LInuxCNC start and run with you current hal files?

More
15 Sep 2019 19:41 #145283 by itstheburns327
When i first installed linuxcnc on this machine, I first ran the Pncconf wizard and told it to create shortcuts to the desktop. I run the launch my linuxcnc file from there. I take it thats the way to do it? If I launch from that shortcut with the mesa card disconnected or powered off, linuxcnc kicks out an error and closes.

More
15 Sep 2019 20:16 #145285 by tommylight
What drives are you using ?
Try to set the step_time and step_space to at least 10000.
Do the motors turn by hand when Linuxcnc is running and enabled ?

More
15 Sep 2019 20:24 #145288 by itstheburns327
Geckodrive G203V, also selected this drive during pncconf wizard. I only have one motor and drive connected at the moment and it spins but it has some resistance. If i power down the driver, it spins freely.

More
15 Sep 2019 21:20 #145292 by PCW

When i first installed linuxcnc on this machine, I first ran the Pncconf wizard and told it to create shortcuts to the desktop. I run the launch my linuxcnc file from there. I take it thats the way to do it? If I launch from that shortcut with the mesa card disconnected or powered off, linuxcnc kicks out an error and closes.

You can do it that way, but when you are still debugging and testing the
configuration files its often better to launch LInuxCNC from the command line
so any error/status information is visible

More
15 Sep 2019 21:20 #145293 by itstheburns327
I think its my stepper power supply causing all this nonsense. I am getting the slightest movement from the stepper but the driver just shuts off and comes back on so I think the power supply is bad. I just did a load test on it and it craps right out with the slightest load. I don't know why I didn't catch this before. Let me see what I can do to fix this before we continue troubleshooting. If this works after I repair or replace the psu, I will report back my findings.

More
16 Sep 2019 02:00 #145307 by bevins

Ipconfig does not work on Linux,
ifconfig
or
iwconfig.
Also he had a working setup with 192.168.1.10.

LOL, I meant ifconfig.... or ip a
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Sep 2019 18:31 #146606 by itstheburns327
Okay so just a quick update. I know it's been a little while but I was waiting for some stuff to come back. I built a new power supply That's rated roughly for my new steppers. The power supply is capable of delivering over 30 amps at about 40 volts. Plenty enough for my steppers. Anyway, I had to send my Mesa card in for repair because I accidentally connected field power in the wrong polarity. I got it back now, I'm using the 10. 10. 10. 10 IP address both static on the Linux PC and on the Mesa card. I still cannot get these steppers to move. I did manage to find some wiring diagrams that somebody had posted a while back for this particular card (sorry I can't remember who it is off the top of my head). I do have a question though, when using the Mesa card, it has step and direction plus and step and direction minus. My gecko drivers only have step direction and common. Do I just common together step and direction minus? As for limit switches and home switches, I think I have that part figured out.

More
29 Sep 2019 18:42 #146607 by tommylight
If you have 10.10.10.10 on both, that will not work. Computer must be 10.10.10.11 or above.
Rodw posted that.
Use step+ and dir+ with gnd.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds