Why real time kernel is needed with board like MESA?

More
11 Oct 2020 08:59 - 11 Oct 2020 09:02 #185689 by anfänger
maybe you could move the RT part to a FPGA but what is really the gain? WE have a Linuxkenrel with RT capabilities, so why moving it out? This is like having an excavator and suggesting making it into an tractor with an excavator attachment.
And actually I don't think that all CNC systems using a plain OS and buffer the control part it makes you less versatile. I think it is more likely that they have a RT Motion control an a second system for the interface.
For me the whole Idea of having everything in one spot made sense, this was the whole reason I chose Linuxcnc and not another solution like Mach3 and what ever.
And linuxcnc is a mighty tool because of the RT Core is handling everything you can mix FPGA Cards, Parallel-Port, Modbus and what ever you like in one machine. This makes Linuxcnc so nice for retrofits.
If you have a fully analog controlled machine and your Spindle control dies, but you have an ethercat spindle control in your shelf, you can use it.

I like linuxcnc as it is and I see a benefit in its design not a weakness. And as many said it's open source, so feel free to fork it.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2020 09:02 by anfänger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyCNC, thefabricator03, dvn4life1972

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2020 09:18 #185690 by rodw

Thats the thing, you cannot simply extract the real time requirement from Linuxcnc. That is at its core. It can't be extracted!

The Mesa FGPA cards generate the step pulses but it is Linuxcnc which tells them what frequency to run at. Soit is clear you still don't understand the environment with linuxcnc.

You really need to stop this nonsense and research the Linuxcnc architecture. If you did that, you might actually begin to understand the amazing benefits real time bring to linuxcnc..

The gent is entitled to his opinion Rod, but researching the project is very sage advice.

Yes, but most of us know you can't turn apples into oranges. I've long since learnt when entering into negotiations that you cannot ask for what the other party cannot deliver. I think that sums up this request.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, BeagleBrainz, dvn4life1972, pinder

More
11 Oct 2020 10:25 #185693 by BeagleBrainz
I'll might add wrong place & wrong time.

I wish him luck in his endeavours.

More
11 Oct 2020 10:37 #185696 by stivemaster13
I am neither a programmer nor a developer and I will never be one. However, I assure you I understand exactly what LinuxCNC does, as well as the Mesa card.
Therefore, in my first posts in this forum, I was interested in whether there is an ISO that has been compiled for a certain type of PC - X5-Z8300. So I won't have to make a mistake in choosing the PC every time. Or, I will be forced to buy an amateur looking, naked ODROID-H2.
The word weakness obviously affects you as a spell, but today 11.10.2020 LinuxCNC is totally dependent on the type of processor in the PC, right? In addition, it is also totally dependent on Mesa cards.
The bad thing (that's why I pointed out the links with the documented advantage of FPGA) is that Mesa builds really great hardware power into their cards, and in fact LinuxCNC uses them only as DSP.
Well, you think these things aren't a problem, but they really are. This is from the point of view of a person who wants to use what others have created. Answer him - that's if you don't like get out of here, I don't think it's very good, right?
Finally, I would like to point out that the consideration of this proposal of mine is exactly that - a reasoned proposal. It is not a request to anyone!
P.P. I want to tell you that my children became teenagers. In connection with this on every difficult question, I began to think. Giving a principled answer that something they think is possible is not, it may not be true anymore. Because very often such a quick answer leads to the conclusion - you are very congested, Dad!

And thanks for the wishes. However, when the camel with which Mesa sent me the 7I96 cards finally appeared, I will share (in the other topic) what I managed to do with one of them (if I succeed at all).
Be healthy !

More
11 Oct 2020 11:07 #185697 by BeagleBrainz
I wouldn't call it a proposal. No apparent effort has been made to present anything other than ideas of others. It's just some ideas, and those ideas aren't even your own work.

No Linuxcnc is not dependant on MESA cards, you need to research a little more. Yes an instance of Linuxcnc will be dependant on the architecture it is built for.

What FPGA would you want to support ? There are many out there, have you looked into which would be best ? Which language would you choose ? Do you propose using a OSS tool chain (even that has a very small scope of supported devices) or being locked into one manufacturer ?

I wouldn't the Odroid H2+ amateur looking. Would you refer to a motherboard not in a case as amateur looking ? Compared to most other small form factor SBCs the Odroid H2+ is quite well featured.

That's the thing with choice, if you don't like one product you can always choose another one.

I like a good fang & scratch so I choose a machine that is suitable. I wouldn't walk in HD headquarters and say, make a sportsbike so I can buy one. I want Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, sharper steering, less weight, a V4, single sided carbon swingarm and aluminium twin spar frame. I'd either be asked to politely leave and buy one of their offerings and change it to suit. Sure it would more than likely do what I want better, but it wouldn't fit within their scope.

Or I come to your house and say change your house from double brick to brick veneer with a metal frame and from single storey to double storey because it's a better construction method and better for myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, JohnnyCNC, thefabricator03, dvn4life1972, pinder

More
11 Oct 2020 12:09 #185703 by tommylight

What's worse is that people who are really involved in the development of the Linux CNC don't really understand what it should look like in order to be liked by people, not just themselves.

Really ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry for the double quote, but i had to,
--proposing stuff here is very welcomed and it triggers involvement of others to finish it in record time, as proven here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/40082-monokro...for-plasmac-and-mill
from proposal to a working proof of concept it took 8 days, at the same time there is another similar thing going on here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtvcp/40252-qradiobut...file?start=10#185666
--if there is something missing and you think should be useful, ask, wait, start making it if no one else has something. Case in point there was no THC anything for LinuxCNC ( well EMC2 at that time) so BigJT was working on it for the Mesa THCAD and i was working on this for other THC's :
forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...hc-config-that-works
From that Phill took the general idea, Rod proposed using External offsets when they were still in development, others chipped in and now we have PlasmaC
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37234-plasmac-documentation
that made it possible to use a 70$ Mesa THCAD and have a machine that will put to shame machines costing 6 figures. And yes, i do have a machine with THCAD and PlasmaC using parallel port working every day since January without a single issue, total cost of the electronics and Pc roughly 400$.
--as for flexibility and reliability of LinuxCNC, so a search for
www.google.com/search?ei=HPOCX_yJOqjnrgS...CmBz8Q4dUDCAw&uact=5
will give plenty of results, done several of them myself, they are industrial machines in use in factories every day. I am not capable of explaining what it means to have an industrial machine working 10 to 12 hours every day never break or fail while using a 10 year old operating system (Ubuntu 10.04), that you will have to experience for yourself.
I can go on and on, but i will stop here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, oddwick, JohnnyCNC, thefabricator03, BeagleBrainz, dvn4life1972, pinder

More
11 Oct 2020 13:11 - 11 Oct 2020 13:15 #185710 by pinder

--proposing stuff here is very welcomed and it triggers involvement of others to finish it in record time, as proven here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/qtpyvcp/40082-monokro...for-plasmac-and-mill
from proposal to a working proof of concept it took 8 days

Thanks to the community for awesome support and collective work, we have made an example.

This has gave me confidence to start many projects.
Now I know, you people will help me out in any problem.

@stivemaster13
Believe me, I am only one month old user here, these people have solved so many problems of mine.
Now I will try to give back in any way I can

Cheers
Pinder

Last edit: 11 Oct 2020 13:15 by pinder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, dvn4life1972

More
11 Oct 2020 13:53 - 11 Oct 2020 14:08 #185712 by stivemaster13
Thank you tommylight I was also very enthusiastic when, we made our own THC controller. The work lasted more than 2 years, so the result is quite good. Of course I will not compare with what you have achieved today in PlasmaC, but obviously you have not done anything more. The good thing is that it is in one place!
I also managed to add a stop when working through a kerf or a small hole. We are currently working on the automatic adjustment of the PID of the Z motor during installation.Thus, the controller will work optimally with each motor - slow stepper or fast servo.
Our goal is for the customer not to be interested in height control at all, after the initial installation and adjustment of the controller. Regardless of the thickness and type of cut material. It only matters what drilling height, drilling time and cutting height we set from the G code. The setting is done with RS485 and is submitted as tool number T.
Well, we are far from Burny Inova - there are some very nice things. Special brush servo motor of Ametek (for faster change of direction at maximum current) very powerful controller, specially designed for them servo driver. They have interesting features - such as a function for anti-collision - torch collision detection. The controller controls a closed servo circuit and uses a "motion completed" output and a Probe input. So if the IHS procedure starts before "motion completed" is obtained, Probe must come, otherwise we obviously don't reach the material and the torch has collided with something. This happens very quickly and leads to an error message!

And one more thing to praise the developers of LinuxCNC - for the end of IHS to take the end of the touch of the torso to the material when moving up! Something I achieved soon but only with UCCNC. I hope to succeed with LinuxCNC as well.
I will be happy to discuss interesting things when I have the necessary hardware.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2020 14:08 by stivemaster13.

More
11 Oct 2020 14:43 #185716 by pinder

Thank you tommylight I was also very enthusiastic when, we made our own THC controller. The work lasted more than 2 years, so the result is quite good. Of .......

Yeah my friend, now you are talking real things.

Best wishes for you build with linuxcnc. I guarantee, you will be happy with the result.

In PlasmaC, you can set best working IHS and cut height once for a material and save it.

You only need to select material you are about to cut. Your customers will be more than happy.

Best wishes.

Wait till you become part of community.

Cheers
Pinder
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, dvn4life1972

More
11 Oct 2020 15:20 #185722 by stivemaster13
Maybe you didn't understand me - in Plasma, as far as I understand by reading, you can do the same thing I do. In my opinion, after the settings during the installation - on the PID motor of the Z axis, there is no need to set the voltage for monitoring from the screen! It is not precise enough (you can check this) to control the height, to be done with a fixed voltage from the screen. It is much better to measure the voltage every time after the start, after IHS, and after the CV has already occurred.
I will give details when I started the settings. I will probably have a lot of questions.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds