LinuxCNC embedded into automation machine

More
26 Feb 2020 14:27 #158543 by Todd Zuercher
I don't have any troubles with my Baytrail chipped board running Linuxcnc on Debian 7 (Wheezy) at work. But I have had huge problems with an identical board at home trying to run a MythTV box. It seems to be a problem with kernels from sometime after 3.4.9 up to at least 4.15. I think 4.19 and later might be ok. I can't remember what kernel version I was finally able to get to run on my Myth box at home, but I do remember it took me a loooong time to find something that finally worked. I do know that none of the stock kernels in Jessie will work with them, and I doubt the ones in Stretch do either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2020 20:25 #158570 by rodw

I don't have any troubles with my Baytrail chipped board running Linuxcnc on Debian 7 (Wheezy) at work.

The problem is hardware related. Linux is not able to handle the thermal slow down the chip set if it gets hot and the PC just turns off without warning. There is a long standing Linux kernel issue I found dating back 5 years that had over 1000 comments without it being closed off.
bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051

There were some proposed fixes which worked for some. Others suggested uninstalling the thermald service. I thought that worked but next time, it failed again. I've been meaning to see if the deletion stuck.

This issue has nothing to do with the distribution of Linux. I've tried a few and it makes no difference.

More
03 Mar 2020 23:42 #159123 by andypugh

Can LinuxCNC be operated "Headless" with the use of an API or custom Python interface?

Yes, In fact it should be relatively easy if you are OK with your custom interface running on the same PC as LinuxCNC.
It gets a bit more limiting if you want to run from a remote PC.

More
04 Mar 2020 00:08 #159127 by hhscott
Yes, the Python interface using NML messaging will run on the same PC. The "Remote" aspect will be that a PLC will communicate to Python via Modbus to direct when events should begin and to relay status back to the master PLC controller.

HH

More
04 Mar 2020 00:14 #159128 by andypugh

Yes, the Python interface using NML messaging will run on the same PC.

You don't need to worry about NML, that's all hidden behind the Python API:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/python-interface.html

More
07 Mar 2020 23:41 - 07 Mar 2020 23:45 #159444 by hhscott
OK, progress made. I received the ASRock Q1900 ITX board and all the peripherals. Got Debian 7 Wheezy LinuxCNC installed and everything booted up correctly. Couple of quick questions to keep moving:

1. My ASRock board has the built-in Parallel port. I intend to use this port for the 4 axis control. Any reason why this would not work and I would have to use an external Mesa card?

2. I am somewhat of a Linux Newbie, Linux light user. After getting the OS installed I went to add Geany IDE. That is my preferred Python coding environment. Using Synaptic package manager or the terminal with sudo apt-get install geany, I could not install it. My board is connected to the net and browsing is working normally. Also, the linux update functions are working normally. Any thoughts about installing Geany and other packages not included with the OS?

Thanks,
HH
Last edit: 07 Mar 2020 23:45 by hhscott.

More
08 Mar 2020 12:59 #159467 by tommylight
Parallel works just fine.
Later on if you want to add more of everything, you can get a Mesa card.
To install geany, you have to enable the partner or romeo repositories in the software sources, from the menu.

More
08 Mar 2020 14:39 #159470 by Todd Zuercher
Might need to check that the Debian repositories point to the archives now that Wheezy is end of life.

More
10 Mar 2020 18:01 #159678 by hhscott
How ready is Debian 9 LinuxCNC for a 4 axis parallel port setup? Getting the modules that I want on 7 is proving difficult. I also would prefer to write code in Python 3.

Thanks,
HH

More
10 Mar 2020 18:46 #159687 by andypugh

How ready is Debian 9 LinuxCNC for a 4 axis parallel port setup?

Do you mean Debian 10? We have been distributing a Debian 9 (Stretch) ISO for some months, to the extent that it is the recommended offering on the download page.

www.linuxcnc.org/downloads/

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds