latency and latest linuxcnc

More
24 Jul 2020 06:49 #175600 by ericg
Hi,
this may be a dumb question, but before I go buying a new PC and rebuilding everything, I thought I would ask...
I have an older PC, and the hdd failed, so replaced it and while I was on, I upgraded to Debian 10 and now my latency has gone ballistic and I cannot even start the mesa config due to latency, and the stepconf config starts with realtime errors, no matter what I do.
So the question is... is this caused by running the latest Linuxcnc on an older PC (I also had to use xfce to get anywhere).
Hope this makes sense, and If I need to buy a different PC, what is recommended that is available in Australia
Thanks for any help and I hope I made some sense
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2020 08:00 #175607 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic latency and latest linuxcnc
Did you use the stretch ISO?
What Mesa card are you using?
What processor?

I found when I needed to go to PREMPT_RT on older hardware the latency was unusable.
I use a Gigabyte Brix J1900 (and have tried a Brix N3160) with a 7i76e. Others in the UK have not been so lucky.

The last PC I bought and have only tested very briefly was an Odroid H2+ from here
jiffyshop.com.au/SBC/31-odroid-h2
The distro does not include a driver for the Odroid's 2 GB network interfaces so you need to download the driver and install from a USB stick. That was pretty easy.
I used Tommy's shortcut to install Mint 19.3 and Preempt_RT
The latency seems better than my current machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

More
24 Jul 2020 08:00 #175608 by BeagleBrainz
What spec machine are you using and what OS and version of Linuxcnc were you using before ?

What kernel do you need RTAI or RT_PREEMPT ?

More
24 Jul 2020 23:39 #175696 by ericg
Replied by ericg on topic latency and latest linuxcnc
thanks for the responses,
from lscpu I get... Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
and from uname -a I get...
linuxcnc 4.19.0-9-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.19.118-2+deb10u1 (2020-06-07) x86_64 GNU/Linux,

I was using stretch before buster, should I go back to it? also should I run rtai on one machine for parallel port and rt_preempt on a different machine for my Mesa 5i25 card ( I connect to a gecko G540 in both cases),

Any further advice is appreciated.
Eric

More
24 Jul 2020 23:53 #175698 by tommylight

I was using stretch before buster, should I go back to it?

No need to go back.

also should I run rtai on one machine for parallel port and rt_preempt on a different machine for my Mesa 5i25 card ( I connect to a gecko G540 in both cases),

That would be best.

More
25 Jul 2020 00:51 - 25 Jul 2020 00:57 #175704 by ericg
here is a screenshot of the latency I get running some glxgears, youtube etc, it is so bad that I cannot even add those numbers into stepconf, I may go back to stretch just to see if that makes a difference I think that was an RTAI version,
Eric
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 00:57 by ericg.

More
25 Jul 2020 04:12 #175709 by BeagleBrainz

More
25 Jul 2020 07:54 #175717 by ericg
Thanks BeagleBrainz, will give this a go tomorrow, but what is 'this' specifically

More
25 Jul 2020 08:23 #175720 by BeagleBrainz
Custom Mint 19.3 ISO, pre installed with Linuxcnc, kernel, so far, has given pretty good latency. Mind it's an RT_PREEMPT kernel.
I need to update the repos for the Linuxcnc packages this weekend.

More
25 Jul 2020 08:43 #175722 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic latency and latest linuxcnc

Custom Mint 19.3 ISO, pre installed with Linuxcnc, kernel, so far, has given pretty good latency. Mind it's an RT_PREEMPT kernel.
I need to update the repos for the Linuxcnc packages this weekend.

Is this one the same as the one that I use. forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...aver-mint-iso#165631

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds