latency and latest linuxcnc

More
25 Jul 2020 09:39 #175723 by BeagleBrainz
That's the one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 09:44 #175725 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic latency and latest linuxcnc

That's the one

I thought mine is 19.2 but the one above is 19.3

More
25 Jul 2020 11:09 #175727 by BeagleBrainz
My mistake, it's 19.2 not 19.3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
26 Jul 2020 02:10 #175840 by ericg
Replied by ericg on topic latency and latest linuxcnc
Thanks BeagleBrainz,
I have installed mint 19.3 and now I will need to remove the oem user and redo my permissions for my configs, this is taking me a bit to sort out, but at least latency is not as bad as before.
Eric

More
26 Jul 2020 02:44 #175844 by BeagleBrainz
No need to do an OEM install. The ISO install just as a std Mint ISO does. My bad it's 19.2 but that's neither here nor there.
Good to see another Aussie.

I just redid my machine, all I had to do was copy the configs from the stretch setup to my home directory, no need to change permissions.

On that install if you ever want or need to build Linuxcnc a simple

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-build-deps

Will pull in everything needed to build, all you have to do is pull the sources from git.
One note is that the linuxcnc-build-deps is matched to the most recent Linuxcnc packages on my repo. But the repos are setup when you install. So only update linuxcnc with pre-built packages from my repo, as everything is built on Mint to suit Mint.
Any questions just ask.

More
26 Jul 2020 03:08 #175848 by BeagleBrainz

Did you use the stretch ISO?
What Mesa card are you using?
What processor?

I found when I needed to go to PREMPT_RT on older hardware the latency was unusable.
I use a Gigabyte Brix J1900 (and have tried a Brix N3160) with a 7i76e. Others in the UK have not been so lucky.

The last PC I bought and have only tested very briefly was an Odroid H2+ from here
jiffyshop.com.au/SBC/31-odroid-h2
The distro does not include a driver for the Odroid's 2 GB network interfaces so you need to download the driver and install from a USB stick. That was pretty easy.
I used Tommy's shortcut to install Mint 19.3 and Preempt_RT
The latency seems better than my current machine.

Oh great a new toy that you mentioned that I need to try.
In all seriousness would it be a viable candidate for Linuxcnc ?
Hmmm just saw the specs, looks very tasty indeed.
On saying that I got hold of a Hare & Forbes magnetic tapping stand that I think you mentioned many moons ago...it's bloody fantastic.

More
26 Jul 2020 03:29 #175849 by ericg
Thanks for the help, I got rid of the oem user (did not have choice on installation), now mint is going OK, but I'm still seeing too much latency, my Mesa config won't start because of latency and stepconf still gives the latency warning on start up,
Looks like I may need to get a new PC, but that will take some time as I am well past working age so money is an issue.
Also good to see other Aussies using Linux. I wish there was a LinuxCNC user group in Melbourne.
cheers Eric

More
26 Jul 2020 03:43 #175850 by BeagleBrainz
If it was working with stretch I'd revert back to that. No need to spend money if you don't need to.

More
26 Jul 2020 23:59 #175993 by ericg
thanks all, but I tried going back to stretch and still get unacceptable latency, tried everything but no luck, looks like a new PC required, can't think of anything else and now I've gone and lost my Pncconf configuration. bu..er!
I would prefer a ready built one, any recommendations on the second hand market?

More
27 Jul 2020 09:13 #176028 by tommylight

............. any recommendations on the second hand market?

Enterprise edition Dell or HP or Fujitsu, Lenovo M93. Those usually do work properly with LinuxCNC.
Do you need a parallel port ?

Time to create page: 1.328 seconds