What do I need to switch to LinuxCNC

More
13 Sep 2020 20:23 #182033 by rogerfries
I have an old Bridgeport BOSS 5 CNC Mill converted to Mach 3. I currently use an Ethernet Smooth Stepper and a PMDX 126 breakout board. It's my understanding LinuxCNC does not support the Warp 9 Ethernet smooth stepper so I will need some new hardware. My PC just crashed and I was looking into using this as an excuse to move to Mach 4, but I also want to consider Linux CNC. I have a couple of Dell 9020 micro sized PC's that I would like to utilize. Money is not my primary concern, but rather what's the best solution. I could of course just restore the PC and go back to Mach3 easily, but I figured I'd look around first. I might try to load one of the Dells with Linux and the other with Windoze & Mach.
What do I need to get to give Linux CNC a good try? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2020 20:34 #182035 by tommylight

More
13 Sep 2020 20:40 #182036 by tommylight
Also you can use a PC with a parallel port, so no need to buy anything, but the speed might be limited. Still should be very nice to see what LinuxCNC can do and help you decide if it is worth investing in the above linked board.

More
14 Sep 2020 00:55 #182045 by rogerfries
Hi Tommylight,

Thanks for the link, I see this 7i92m board has one parallel port on it. My Ethernet Smooth Stepper has 3 ports. I do use a couple of pins on the second port now for my MPG and an extra output. I see the 7I92H seems to have 2 ports, but being the same price as the 7i92m it seems there must be something I'm missing. Mesa has many different cards and it's not clear to me the differences. Perhaps I'll give Mesa a call tomorrow.

Thanks

More
14 Sep 2020 01:00 #182046 by PCW
All 7i92s have 2 ports, the only difference is the primary port type:
7I92   DB25F
7I92M  DB25M
7I92H  HDR26

The secondary port is always a HDR26

More
14 Sep 2020 01:43 #182047 by rogerfries
Great, ports should be plenty. As I'm considering spending $200 on Mach 4. I could buy the Mesa card and be $100 ahead of the game. Still need to compare the pros and cons. I do have a spare pc i think I'll load the software on to have a look.

More
14 Sep 2020 09:07 #182065 by BeagleBrainz
Look into the 7i76e.

I started with a 7i92, then added a 7i76, then a 7i73, then a 7i74 & 7i83.

Pros for Linuxcnc:
Linuxcnc runs on Linux and is the motion controller, Mesa card generate the step signals.
It runs on Linux.
It runs on Linux.
You can use a x86 PC or a RPi 4.
If you have an issue you wont be asked if you have applied all updates and have the latest drivers. You'll actually get asked questions about the issue and receive great advice.
Cons:
Linux freaks Windows users.

Can't really comment on Mach, but the biggest turn off is running on Windows.
Occasionally I have to dip into Windows and it's never really a happy experience, but I hear some people like using Windows & some people don't like using Linux.

More
14 Sep 2020 09:29 #182067 by rodw

Money is not my primary concern, but rather what's the best solution. I could of course just restore the PC and go back to Mach3 easily, but I figured I'd look around first.!

I might be biased but once I was a new user with no CNC experience choosing a platform. I could find no redeeming features of Windows and Mach. So I went with Linuxcnc and a Mesa 7i76e.

What I know now is Linuxcnc is hands down the most extensible and flexible CNC environment bar none. Some of the retrofits done with it are nothing short of amazing and the owners end up with a full featured machine.

But for a simple 3 axis mill like your bridgeport, you may not need or discover all of the amazing features of Linuxcnc. But I do hear favourable comments of people dropping the ESS and going with Mesa.

It comes back to how agnostic to the OS you are. Personally, I don't care what OS platform I use, I use the best one for the application at hand. Increasingly that is linux but there is still a place for Windows at my place (no matter how much I hate it)

More
14 Sep 2020 11:28 #182069 by rogerfries
Does the Mesa 7i76e bord replace my existing breakout board & ESS?

Is a Pi 4 really good enough to run Linux CNC well?

I really want to try Linux CNC, but the biggest arguments for Linux CNC seem to be that you guys hate Windows for whatever reason or Linux CNC is free. Neither argument buys much from me. I find Windows super reliable and a small one time license fee doesn't bother me at all.

I did get Mach 3 restored yesterday and I got the trial version of Mach 4 working. So I got the parts cut that I needed, but I haven't yet plunked down my $200 for the Mach 4 License.

I was hoping for a more modern screen set, but the Linux CNC screens I've seen look just as crappy as Mach and Mach 4 is not much better looking than Mach 3.

Aside from Windows hate, what makes Linux CNC better that Mach3/4?

Thanks for your time in helping me make this choice!

More
14 Sep 2020 12:01 #182070 by BeagleBrainz
Yes the 7i76e will and probably more.

There are few topics regarding the RPi 4.

I don't hate Windows, I don't find it suits my needs. I find Linux, especially Linux Mint, far easier & faster to use than Windows. Security is far better. Any extra software installed from the repos are safe and can be trusted.

Axis may look dated, but what are you interested in some thing that gets the job done or looks pretty. gmpccapy has a modern feel, and some of the qt based screens are modern designs.

Linuxcnc is under constant development and improvement. Whilst the a stable version has just been officially released, 2.8.0, 2.9 is in active development and is usable, packages are available for installation.
PCW from Mesa is an active board member and offers support on this forum. Whilst a bit of a niche thing, the fgpa source files are available and if you have the knowledge can be edited by th end user. There have been instances where custom fpga bitfiles have been needed and PCW has kindly supplied them via the forum.
Finally the support is great.
On the forum there are users that range from hobbyists to those that build\retro fit machines for industrial use.

Finally it's personal choice. No one is going to hold a gun to your head to use it nor send you to purgatory if it doesn't suit your needs.
The only way to find if it is a better solution in your opinion or not is to give it a go. Just remember if you haven't used Linux there will be a learning curve. The same learning as there would be switching from Windows to MacOS if you have never used MacOS. No one is born instinctively knowing how to use Windows, it's something you have to learn.
To have a play around in simulation mode you don't even have to install anything, download an ISO that has linuxcnc pre installed, use win32diskimager to put it on a USB flash drive, boot from the flash drive and have a look around. If you don't select to install it your hdd wont be touched.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds