What do I need to switch to LinuxCNC

More
17 Sep 2020 19:58 #182567 by BeagleBrainz
From memory Mint 19.3 has netio which is a replacement for the traditional interfaces file.
Netio can be replaced but for that exact procedure you’ll have to use google.
The GUI tools are good enough. Just give the interface you use for your mesa card an IP address and netmask. No dns nor gateway entries.
You’ll probably find that interface will show as “down” until connected to the 7i76e and it’s powered up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2020 20:17 #182570 by PCW
Yeah I would definitely dump netplan as AFAIK it cannot set MAC options
Like ifupdown can (you need this if you have a Intel MAC)

More
17 Sep 2020 20:21 #182571 by rodw

There are some very good wiring diagrams on the forum, the search function will find them.

This is what Rob is referring to for the 7i76e.
forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3191...-sheet?start=0#85072

More
17 Sep 2020 20:21 #182572 by BeagleBrainz
Poor bloke is probably wondering what rabbit hole he fell down.

More
17 Sep 2020 22:39 #182586 by rogerfries
Yes, Quite the rabbit hole! And all so I don't have to rely on copy protected software!

I'm wondering if I've met any of you before? Were any of you at the CNC workshop in Ann Arbor MI way back in 10 & 11? I'm pretty sure I met Peter there. Way back when it was called EMC2. Clearly I was hanging with the Mach team but I was inquiring about the Linux offering.

More
17 Sep 2020 23:30 #182592 by BeagleBrainz
Not I, apart from never having been in the US I'm not a big fan of social interaction.

More
18 Sep 2020 16:51 #182661 by rogerfries
Well I think this thread has come to a close. I have a functional Linux Mint install, my Mesa card is on the way. What could possibly go wrong? No doubt I'll be posting on other threads if I have issues.

Thanks to all for your help! Without it I would have given up and just bought a Mach 4 license. I'm excited to be joining the open source community on this.

One last question here, Should I have Linux specific questions not CNC related, should I post them on this forum? or should I find a Linux specific forum for those?

Thanks Again!
Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
18 Sep 2020 20:39 #182679 by tommylight

One last question here, Should I have Linux specific questions not CNC related, should I post them on this forum? or should I find a Linux specific forum for those?

Feel free to post about anything in the "off topic" section, most of us use the "recent topic" feature of this forum so we see all the new posts and can promptly reply.

More
18 Sep 2020 21:42 #182684 by BeagleBrainz
Honestly the best option is to use google. Any question you have regarding using Linux will have been asked before.
Wanna a RPN calculator written in awk ? I’ll guarantee there’s an example to be found.
Tho a little dated the Linux Documentation Project has some good HOWTOs regarding Bash.
The Arch Linux wiki has a wealth of information. To be honest in all the time I’ve been using Linux, I started about 98 or so, I’ve never had to ask a question on a forum. A search of the internet has worked, maybe not for an exact answer to my particular question, but I’ve always found enough info from different sources.
Keep a notebook and keep notes and references to info. Once you become more experienced you’ll want to setup a server, it will happen, run a copy of media wiki.
All the info is out there, it just doesn’t know how to find you.
But if you do get really stuck, don’t just say X doesn’t work I need help. Describe what you expect and what actually is happening. There is nothing worse than trying to extract information from people to answer a question. Tho some people may seem a bit terse, honestly they are just attempting to push you to look a little further.
If you browse these forums you’ll see some of the same questions being asked over and over. And the same answers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds