QTPlasmaC with six axis

More
09 Oct 2023 00:29 #282574 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
Yes, i know 5 axis allows this but it greatly increases the post processor complexity as you mentioned.
My vision was that 5 axis kinematics would not be not required and the bevel cutting would use the normal postprocessor with just the bevel angle set. So it might not even need changing the normal sheetcam postprocessor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2023 01:16 #282580 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
If you pay attention to industrial beveling plasma machines, they all use a different torch holder with 4Th or 5Th axis, the point being that the torch can move but the nozzle stays at the same place during motion, well a bit under the nozzle at the cutting height.
That is done to avoid using 4 or 5 axis CAM software, as Rod mentioned, complicates things a lot and costs a fortune for software that usually does not work for what you need, or makes you jumps through hoops to get there.
Still, the question no one asked (or i missed it, glasses foggy) , why 6 axis?
Almost all are 4 axis, except Kjellberg Finsterwalde that have full 5 axis ones. Just do not ask for their price!!! :)
I have seen one with "nutating" head, the 45 degree spinning thingy, looked very interesting...

More
09 Oct 2023 01:57 #282581 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
Found it

More
09 Oct 2023 03:35 #282583 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
KInd of what I had in mind. 
Another nice one here but not the same geometry as I had in mind

I am sure this can be done (well in my head anyway :)

I like the way this one starts the pierce on an angle to let the slag escape.
Also QTP I don't think yet does wiggle pierce or ramp pierce. A user mentioned off forum that they cut 37mm plate but his QTP machine could not piearce past 32mm. I think ramp pierce would have let it do it..

More
09 Oct 2023 06:59 #282588 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis

Still, the question no one asked (or i missed it, glasses foggy) , why 6 axis?

The six axis is required for doing complex tube cutting.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Oct 2023 09:14 #282594 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis

My vision was that 5 axis kinematics would not be not required and the bevel cutting would use the normal postprocessor with just the bevel angle set.

I think you'd be able to do this using the 'drag knife' feature (which I think Sheetcam offers) together with the 5axis XYZAC or XYZBC kinematic (TCP) in linuxcnc.

More
09 Oct 2023 09:24 #282595 by mariusl
How will the drag knife toolpath give you 5 axis information? Sheetcam does not handle anything more than 2.5D. The drag knife normally only use XYZ but the rotary blade does use a rotary axis formulated around the Z axis.
Not what is required here.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Oct 2023 11:27 #282599 by mariusl

I have pushed a new branch named phillc54/qtplasmac_6_axes which is based on master branch.
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/phillc54/qtplasmac_6_axes

The GUI's need a little bit of polish but should be fine for your testing.
Warning: Spoiler!

It did make me notice a couple of issues with the fifth axis...

I know I have grown more stupid with the years but not like this. I cannot get to clone your branch or the master. I made a fork on github but only got master branch in that fork. I was under the impression that I will have access to all branches.
I can clone my own github fork of linuxcnc.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Oct 2023 11:29 #282600 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis

Not what is required here.

Well it may not work for your case, so apologies if I'm not being totally on topic but you have not really given much information about what you are actually trying to do other than '6axis complex pipe cutting' which could mean a lot of things.
@ Rodw
Since 'Drag knife' gcode orients the c axis (ie the torch in this case) to the tool path it may work for sheets and probably also for pipe. You could define the bevel angle using the A/B axis and then the C axis would be used to keep the torch oriented to the tool path. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw

More
09 Oct 2023 11:41 #282602 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
If you have cloned LinuxCNC then you should be able to checkout the branch with:
git checkout phillc54/qtplasmac_6_axes

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds