QTPlasmaC with six axis

More
14 Oct 2023 08:21 #282967 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
Got it working with the 6 axis kinematics and running Vismach next to the Gui so I can see what is happening without the machine.
Now the testing starts.
Thanks a lot for your help so far Phill. It is looking good so far and I am excited to see if we can get a full 6 axis machine to run.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2023 10:01 #282974 by mariusl
So the next problem is the soft limits. It would seem that the joint soft limit is not treated the same as the world mode soft limit. I would have thought that the first of the limits that is activated will cause the movement to stop. This seems to not happen. If the world mode limit is reached the movement will stop but if the joint limit is reached the machine boms. You then have to go to joint mode (which we don't have yet) and jog off the limit and then go back to world mode. When jogging this can be done but when you run Gcode the initial limit check is only done on world mode and not on joint mode. SO if you run your Gcode, it could cause any joint to go into limit while the world mode is still not in limit. I would think that both should be checked when the code is loaded.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
15 Oct 2023 00:47 #283024 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
The limits issue is a bit beyond what I can help with.
You may do better asking about that in another section of the forum.

We could add a means to switch between joint and world modes.
Although without a lot of work the jog buttons would still have the axes graphics.

More
15 Oct 2023 05:10 #283032 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis

I would think that both should be checked when the code is loaded.

For non trivial kinematics proper limit checking at load time is not possible because the planner is totally ignorant of custom kinematics. Your best option would be to check for limit violations in cam or running your gcode in a simulation configuration. Depending on your kinematic you may even have to loosen your axes limits to be able to reach the full work space.

More
15 Oct 2023 07:21 #283041 by mariusl

We could add a means to switch between joint and world modes.
Although without a lot of work the jog buttons would still have the axes graphics.

That would help a lot. I dont think it's a train smash if the buttons are not changed at this time. Or at at all for that matter.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
15 Oct 2023 07:24 #283042 by mariusl

I would think that both should be checked when the code is loaded.
For non trivial kinematics proper limit checking at load time is not possible because the planner is totally ignorant of custom kinematics. Your best option would be to check for limit violations in cam or running your gcode in a simulation configuration. Depending on your kinematic you may even have to loosen your axes limits to be able to reach the full work space.

What is weird though is that in the simulation I don't run into the same issues. I don't know if limits are handled at all in simulation but it seems to be not the same. 

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
15 Oct 2023 10:33 #283048 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis

I don't know if limits are handled at all in simulation but it seems to be not the same. 

Hm, I don't see how that would differ in a simulation as the joint position commands are not dependent on whether real hardware is connected or not. As long as the limit value settings are identical in both configs. Are you sure you are getting soft limit errors with the machine and not hardware limits? That would of course require that you actually have hardware limit sensors on your machine, which I don't know.

More
15 Oct 2023 14:15 #283073 by mariusl
No hardware limits connected at this stage. But I did look at both configs and they are not the same. I will have to try and establish the worst case offset between the world coordinates limits of the xyz axis and the over run caused by any of the rotational axis. The difference must be applied to the joint mode limits or visa versa. It just means that I have to keep the torch length (tool length) as short as possible.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
17 Oct 2023 15:25 #283185 by mariusl
@Phill, it would seem that we will need that button to put is in joint mode or world mode. It look like the limit issue is real and we have to deal with it this way. I noticed that Gmoccapy also has such a button for the 5 Axis configs.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
17 Oct 2023 22:49 #283197 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic QTPlasmaC with six axis
I have been testing with a keyboard shortcut "j" that seems to work OK so adding a button would be relatively painless.

My thinking on a button was either:
  1. Convert the "JOGGING" label to a button and make it require a long press.
  2. A custom user button.
I am leaning towards a custom user button as that can have a more appropriate label.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds