Control panel hardware buttons

More
16 Feb 2024 05:26 #293479 by RotarySMP
That is coming along nicely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blazini36

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2024 13:07 #293505 by blazini36
Thanks, Kind of stalled a bit while I wait for components for the custom PCBs and other random stuff

More
03 Mar 2024 08:07 #294987 by blazini36
OK so it looks like I'm bringing this thread back to the original question if anybody's still with me, I'll make a new thread to show-and tell.....

I made a matrix key panel, it turned out fairly well but it's too costly to make with the lighted tactile pushbuttons.......

The clear acrylic is just temporary since I had it on hand.

I'm thinking of making these from a conductive rubber pad as I can still backlight them but I can't get keycaps for those for a reasonable price so the universal label Idea is kind of shot. I can have the rubber printed though so I need to have a layout ahead of time......

I'm used to just using a touchscreen so I have no idea what would make sense to put on these buttons if I have them printed so that's where I'm looking for suggestions on that 32 key matrix. I already have axis select, incriment, run, stop, rapid OR, feedrate OR, and spindle OR as hard buttons. I'm also thinking about doing a panel with 16 keys and a joystick so I'm looking for layout suggestions for a 16 and 32 key pad keeping in mind the buttons I already have plus the fact that the monitor is a touchscreen. The panel is easily replaceable so it's not set in stone, just want to get an initial printing that makes sense.
Attachments:

More
03 Mar 2024 12:21 #295025 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Control panel hardware buttons
I wonder if you couldn't use a membrane keyboard with an adhesive printed overlay? might help get the cost down.

More
03 Mar 2024 18:30 - 03 Mar 2024 18:31 #295071 by blazini36

I wonder if you couldn't use a membrane keyboard with an adhesive printed overlay? might help get the cost down.

What kind of adhesive overlay sticks to rubber and will hold up?

The purpose of these buttons was I wanted to just print clear labels from a Dymo and stick them under the clear keycaps. I can do that with these, they're just a bit more difficult to deal with than I like

I just heard back from the place that makes the rubber membranes, the membranes themselves are cheap if using the standard off the shelf ones but I'd have to pay $250 for a printing plate to get the rubber keys printed on. Probably going to pass on that idea for now. Maybe I'll stick with these buttons, they aren't that expensive now that I look at the order. It's just a bit harder to make this keypad than I like.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2024 18:31 by blazini36.

More
03 Mar 2024 19:27 #295075 by rodw
I think the correct term I should have used is a tactile switch array.
Something like udvabony.com/product/tactile-switch-4x4-...-16-keypad-keyboard/
You could also build this yourself. You may need to cut a grid of holes in your enclosure.
Then in CAD, design the adhesive overlay that is applied over the buttons. (Don't forget to include Mr Chips!)
Discuss the available substrates to print on with your local digital printer.
I have some permanent adhesive polyester roll fed barcode labels that I can print on with a Zebra barcode printer using a permanaent ribbon.
The stuff is thin, flexible and indestructable. I use it for compliance labels for automotive products. There will be something similar in the signage industry.

You do see what I am suggesting used a lot on electronic products.

More
03 Mar 2024 19:29 #295076 by rodw
Forgot to mention signwriters can also laminate the panel after they print it. 

More
03 Mar 2024 21:17 #295088 by blazini36

I think the correct term I should have used is a tactile switch array.
Something like udvabony.com/product/tactile-switch-4x4-...-16-keypad-keyboard/
You could also build this yourself. You may need to cut a grid of holes in your enclosure.
Then in CAD, design the adhesive overlay that is applied over the buttons. (Don't forget to include Mr Chips!)
Discuss the available substrates to print on with your local digital printer.
I have some permanent adhesive polyester roll fed barcode labels that I can print on with a Zebra barcode printer using a permanaent ribbon.
The stuff is thin, flexible and indestructable. I use it for compliance labels for automotive products. There will be something similar in the signage industry.

You do see what I am suggesting used a lot on electronic products.

What you're actually suggesting is what mechanix suggested earlier in the thread, a dome switch keypad. That is what is used with the plastic overlay you see in many industial applications. They don't use tactile switches, they use domes. Again the problem is A) cost and B) it's once it's printed, that's what you have.....it's not further configureable but the "user"

More
29 Apr 2024 08:25 #299303 by Mr Moo
Hello All,

Sorry for hijacking the thread slightly....
@ Rodw   Could you send me a link to more info about the Mill conversion shown in this image please?
Many Thanks

More
29 Apr 2024 09:10 #299306 by rodw

Hello All,

Sorry for hijacking the thread slightly....
@ Rodw   Could you send me a link to more info about the Mill conversion shown in this image please?
Many Thanks

Sorry, I just got in and got it done so there is not really a thread anywhere. It works quite well. Ethercat hardware.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds