Mesa 5i25+7i77 plug-n-go configuration

More
10 May 2012 16:30 #19984 by PCW
Sorry I think I may have you mixed up with someone else and assumed you had the sample configs. The 5i25/7i77 sample config files are here:

freeby.mesanet.com/7i77.zip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 17:06 #19985 by ishman
Thanks ! all set.

It's giving error though. I think I need to modify it a little bit. thanks again that atleast I got an idea how to start. I think I should try to concentrate on pncconf first and try to tweak it manually. IMO pncconf gives a good idea and plot to understand and modify the things quickly for beginners.

More
10 May 2012 17:35 - 10 May 2012 17:38 #19987 by PCW
oops its for a 7I77/7I76 config so has some stepgens
specified in the ini file this should be removed for a 7I77X2
config
Last edit: 10 May 2012 17:38 by PCW. Reason: errors

More
11 May 2012 13:21 #20002 by andypugh
The demo configurations are stored "somewhere" in a LiveCD installation, and only get copied to your home directory when you try to run them.
So, if you start LinuxCNC and then navigate the configs tree to hostmot2-servo then you will end up with a generic mesa servo config in your home/linuxcnc/configs directory.

However, a better bet would be to download the files that JT provided a link to.

You will probably still need to edit the HAL for your own purposes, but those files will be a good start.

More
11 May 2012 13:38 #20006 by ishman
Thanks again andypugh !

Yes ! the files were there. But none of these files are specific to 5i25. First I have created the hostmot2-servo directory as PCW and you said. Then I downloaded the 5i25 specific files at freeby.mesanet.com/7i77.zip. It needs some modification though.

I have a question ! Is it not a good idea to start with pncconf and the relevent configuration files provided here for testing ? IMO it's easier and rapid solution. also I can understand ini and hal codes better because I know every IO and the way how it's created.

More
11 May 2012 14:11 #20014 by andypugh
ishman wrote:

I have a question ! Is it not a good idea to start with pncconf and the relevent configuration files provided here for testing ? IMO it's easier and rapid solution. also I can understand ini and hal codes better because I know every IO and the way how it's created.

Well, I confess I have never used pncconf, so don't really have an opinion in the matter. I am typically writing configs for new hardware, long before there is a driver, let along pncconf integration.

More
12 May 2012 07:31 #20026 by Rick G

I have a question ! Is it not a good idea to start with pncconf and the relevent configuration files provided here for testing ? IMO it's easier and rapid solution

If PnCConf and the files to go with the hardware are available that is what PnCConf is all about, a fast easy way to get up and running. You can then go on to modify the created configuration for your unique needs.

Rick G

More
13 May 2012 10:51 #20046 by Nick
Hi!
We are trying to configure 7i77 together with 5i25. Sample config works just fine except that we can't get any I/O pins.
So we have encoders named like they are inside 5i25, have analog output 5i25...0.7i77...analog-output. But no digital input or output.

May be we need to define them in hm2 firmware config?

PS Thanks for help :)!

More
13 May 2012 11:25 #20047 by BigJohnT
Field power must be on for the I/O pins to be active and show up.

John

More
13 May 2012 11:30 - 13 May 2012 11:30 #20048 by andypugh
Nick wrote:

So we have encoders named like they are inside 5i25,

They are, the high-speed functions (Pwm and encoder) is handled by the FPGA and wired direct.

have analog output 5i25...0.7i77...analog-output. But no digital input or output.

It sounds like for some reason the smart-serial part of the card is not initialising.
What version of LinuxCNC are you using, and what is your hostmot2 config string?
[edit]
And, as JT says, Field Power
Last edit: 13 May 2012 11:30 by andypugh.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds