Mesa 5i25+7i77 plug-n-go configuration

More
13 May 2012 20:42 - 13 May 2012 20:47 #20060 by Nick
Config string is the same with the sample one.

Field power... is it something about W12 or W1 jumper? We've tried all combinations of them having no satisfactual results.

LinuxCN version is 2.5. Are there any limitations?

Can you explain a little bit smart serial, because I do not get the thing from the host mot manual, probably there's a man about sserial that we"ve missed...

PS thanks for the prompt reply! :)
Last edit: 13 May 2012 20:47 by Nick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2012 20:55 #20062 by andypugh
Nick wrote:

Config string is the same with the sample one.

Can you paste it here? I changed the syntax, so want to check it is correct.

Field power... is it something about W12 or W1 jumper? We've tried all combinations of them having no satisfactual results.

Not directly related to jumpers. You need 8-32V on TB2. W1 lets you choose to power the IO from pins 1-4 of that connector, or a separate power supply in pin 5. But regardless of jumper position, you need some power to that connector.

LinuxCN version is 2.5. Are there any limitations?

No, that's fine. The 7i77 is fully supported in 2.5, but not in 2.4.

Can you explain a little bit smart serial, because I do not get the thing from the host mot manual,

What do you want to know? It is a Mesa-proprietary serial interface. When the boards are powered up they report what they are to the FPGA card, and then the LinuxCNC driver uses that information to create the correct pins.

More
13 May 2012 21:11 - 13 May 2012 21:14 #20063 by PCW
You _must_ supply the isolated field power (VFIELD) and field logic power (VIN)
(10-28 VDC) to the 7I77 for the field I/O section or the field I/O will not be available.
With default jumpering (W1 "LEFT") VIN is tied to VFIELD so only VFIELD need be suppled

The field power indicator is yellow LED CR2 on the top edge of the 7I77 card just to
the right of W1. If this is not on you will see no HAL I/O pins...

7I77 manual pages 2,5 and 14 are relevant here

W12 (and W4) should not be changed unless you are updating 7I77 firmware
Last edit: 13 May 2012 21:14 by PCW.

More
14 May 2012 01:04 #20066 by ishman
Nick !
Did you enable the power jumpers on 5i25 ?

More
15 May 2012 08:54 #20093 by Nick
Yeeha! We've got the inputs!
The problem was with the additional Power Supply! Sorry for disturbing with such lame problem and Thanks for help :)!

More
15 May 2012 15:05 #20102 by ishman
Nick! I would appreciate if you please describe what you were facing and how you solve it ?

More
15 May 2012 15:46 #20104 by Nick
I'll try to.

So one of the members of cnc-club.ru (not me) faced the problem with 7i77+5i25. He could not see any digital inputs or outputs on 7i77 while encoders and analog outputs seemed to work fine.

The problem was solved by adding additional power to 7i77, in fact it is written in the DataSheets that this additional power supply is needed to power up I/O processor. We were lazy to read it, and the guy who had the problem is not too good in English. So once again RTFM :).

Are you facing the same problem?

More
15 May 2012 16:14 #20105 by ishman
yes ! I am facing the same.

We were lazy to read it

True.

could you please point me the relevant page no. of manual regarding additional power supply ? Thanks !

More
15 May 2012 16:23 #20106 by Nick
I think it at the 2 page

VIN POWER SOURCE
The isolated field I/O on the 7I77 runs from a switching power supply that can be