Mesa 5i25+7i77 plug-n-go configuration

More
16 May 2012 02:07 #20121 by ishman
Thanks cmorley !

I red it many times. But I am not very intelligent to grab things very fast. sorry ! Mesa should supply schematic diagram for wiring IMO.

The last lines
"ENAN+ should go to the appropriate positive power supply and ENAN- to the drive enable input."

Now it makes me assume that ENAN connectors are just act as a mediator switch and it needs to be between additional power supply and servo enable input ?

Before I thought that ENAN+ should go to drives VCCCOM input and ENAN- should go to servo enable input directly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2012 04:40 #20122 by cmorley
Ishman what kind of drives are you using? better yet do you have a manual for it?

More
16 May 2012 04:50 #20123 by ishman
www.bonmet.com/productshow_eng.asp?id=1506

I am using SA3L04C for all of my axis.

More
16 May 2012 04:57 #20124 by ishman
if we find "VCCCOM" then the page let us to the pin table. where pin 18 is VCCCOM and pin 10 is ServoEn.

More
16 May 2012 10:43 #20129 by andypugh
ishman wrote:

"ENAN+ should go to the appropriate positive power supply and ENAN- to the drive enable input."
Now it makes me assume that ENAN connectors are just act as a mediator switch and it needs to be between additional power supply and servo enable input ?

Yes. It is acting as a switch.
Before I thought that ENAN+ should go to drives VCCCOM input and ENAN- should go to servo enable input directly.[/quote]
At least that is the correct polarity, so no damage should have been caused.

More
16 May 2012 11:20 - 16 May 2012 11:22 #20135 by ishman
Thanks andypugh !

Now I need to confirm.
7i77 ENAN+ will connect to positive side of power supply.
7i77 ENAN- will connect to Drives servo enable input.
Power supplies common connect to Drives VCCCOM input ?
Last edit: 16 May 2012 11:22 by ishman.

More
16 May 2012 12:15 #20140 by andypugh
ishman wrote:

Now I need to confirm.
7i77 ENAN+ will connect to positive side of power supply.
7i77 ENAN- will connect to Drives servo enable input.
Power supplies common connect to Drives VCCCOM input ?

Yes, I think so. In any case as long as the voltage on ENAN+ is <100V nothing will be damaged.

More
16 May 2012 15:33 #20148 by ishman
Thanks andypugh !

I will try it tomorrow and will let you all know the results.

More
02 Jul 2012 18:28 #21496 by doug6949
I purchased a 5i20/7i33/7i37 system a several months ago for my mill. It is proving to be a real challenge to fit the computer and cards in the cabinet without resorting to intermediate wiring from the daughter cards to the system.

The 5i25/7i77 looks like it will solve my problem since it only needs one round 6' cable. And not having to use nearly 100 din rail terminal blocks will recover the cost of the new boards. I can always use the 5i20 on another project.

The machine is a knee mill with a 4th axis. The added benefit of the 5i25 is that I can configure the knee and spindle as programmable axis' with just one daughter card.

So here is the question. How is the testing proceeding and where are we on configuration files? I feel comfortable with the 5i20. The lack of a knowledge base for the 5i25 is what scares me.

Doug

More
02 Jul 2012 18:49 - 26 Jul 2012 22:57 #21497 by cmorley
Well just so we are clear:
The hardware it's self has no problems that I have heard of. ( when we say testing we meant testing pncconf's ability to configure it)
hand editting a HAL file is always possible. It's a little tricky because there is no official docs on the pinnames and parameters though that can be figured out.

As for using PNCconf.
First you must use the buildbot version of linuxcnc - it has the latest bug fixes - which is required to use PNCconf on the 5i25.
also you must add the firmware descriptions manually - not a big deal - see here:http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/component/kunena/?func=view&id=21670&catid=39#21670
I won't lie :) It's not 100 percent tested yet - particularly around the spindle control ...
But for getting your basic XYZ machine functioning I think its a good place to start then add spindle then add A.
This way you can get a basic functioning machine while learning how the 5i25/7i77 HAL code works.
If you find a bug you can always hand edit the problem and report it here. I try to fix them as soon as I can.
I have a 7i76 and 7i77 card now to test with so bugs get squashed faster !

Chris M
Last edit: 26 Jul 2012 22:57 by andypugh.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds