Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
26 Jan 2013 17:42 #29158 by cmorley

Hallo Chris,

I just managed this, I had to open gscreen and in preferences disable the aux screen, thats it.
So the preferences are taken in care even if I start from a different config folder.

This can confuse operators!

Regards Norbert

Ok Norbert:

You can specify a preference file path in the INI under the [DISPLAY] heading
PREFERENCE_FILE_PATH=

If it's missing, it will use the default ~/.gscreen_preferences

I also fixed the plot reloading problem
oh and industrial now changes the edit button text

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2013 02:38 #29196 by karlkec
Hi Chris,

Spent more time on the mill with gscreen. Some comments:
1. If I'm running a program and press "Set Override", the Position, G Codes Active, and Status areas of the screen become greyed out so itt's harder to see the override being adjusted, and to see the axis positions.
2. When first entering MDI mode and bringing up the Onboard keyboard, could the cursor be automatically placed in the MDI entry field? This entry field is small and hard to select using the touchscreen. I think probably this field should be the active one anytime MDI mode is active.
3, Also, after a block is executed in MDI mode the text remains in the entry field. This requires clearing out the text before entering a new MDI command, which is hard to do with the touchscreen. Could the entry field be cleared after it is executed.
4. Double-touching the spinbox in the upper right using the touchscreen sometimes brings up the numeric entry widget and sometimes not. With the touchscreen it would be nice to always bring it up when the spinbox is double-touched.

I'm starting to work on customizing your industrial screen. I have my own config directory outside the development tree, and have made symlinks to industrial.glade and industrial_haldler.py in the development tree. Can I create a new git branch in the development tree for my changes and rebase to pick up your changes? Or is that asking for trouble later on?
Also, do you know of a way to push my changes to my own git server so I can pull them to my other machines, yet get your gscreen updates too?

Thanks.
Karl

More
28 Jan 2013 03:57 - 28 Jan 2013 04:01 #29201 by cmorley

Hi Chris,

Spent more time on the mill with gscreen. Some comments:
1. If I'm running a program and press "Set Override", the Position, G Codes Active, and Status areas of the screen become greyed out so itt's harder to see the override being adjusted, and to see the axis positions.

Ok yes I was being lazy :) It was easier to make the whole box greyed out then just all the buttons- I can work on that,

2. When first entering MDI mode and bringing up the Onboard keyboard, could the cursor be automatically placed in the MDI entry field? This entry field is small and hard to select using the touchscreen. I think probably this field should be the active one anytime MDI mode is active.

Yes i should be able to set the focus to the MDI entry

3, Also, after a block is executed in MDI mode the text remains in the entry field. This requires clearing out the text before entering a new MDI command, which is hard to do with the touchscreen. Could the entry field be cleared after it is executed.

This is a separate widget that I didn't make but have tinkered with, I can see what I can do

4. Double-touching the spinbox in the upper right using the touchscreen sometimes brings up the numeric entry widget and sometimes not. With the touchscreen it would be nice to always bring it up when the spinbox is double-touched.

You must have the pointer still showing. If you hide the pointer then a single click will bring up the numeric entry widget.
If you show the pointer then a double click brings it up. double clicking with a touch screen, as you have seen, is not 100% reliable.
It's done differently so people with a keyboard can click the spinbox once and then type - it's quicker

I'm starting to work on customizing your industrial screen. I have my own config directory outside the development tree, and have made symlinks to industrial.glade and industrial_haldler.py in the development tree. Can I create a new git branch in the development tree for my changes and rebase to pick up your changes? Or is that asking for trouble later on?
Also, do you know of a way to push my changes to my own git server so I can pull them to my other machines, yet get your gscreen updates too?

Thanks.
Karl

You should create your own local branch based from master.

Make sure your on master:
git checkout master

pull to make sure your current:
git pull

then make your own branch (topic name can be anything)
git branch topic master

If you 'gitk' - you will see your new branch on top
if you 'git branch' you will see your new branch name

Now make your changes to Gscreen's file then commit the changes

if you 'gitk' you will see these commits

If you wish to merge master back in from time to time use:

git merge origin/master

and be prepared to fix conflics.

This is just the very basics. I hesitate to say much more since I wish to tell no lies :)
You should ask on the maillist where the git experts live!

Please keep us posted on your changes, so they can possibly be incorporated
You should see Norbert's screen - it is so different, based on Mocca's look if you know Mocca.

Now I know why all those Mach guys were bummed when they realized the screen was difficult to change in linuxcnc.
It's kinda fun!

Chris M
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 04:01 by cmorley.

More
28 Jan 2013 20:56 #29223 by tjamscad

The spindle direction buttons 'toogle' either fwd or reverse, so one will always be selected.
In this way when you push start, you will know what way it will turn.

gscreen.py is the Main file.
It has 'helper' files:
mdi.py
preference.py
emc_interface.py
and the stock screen file, gscreen,glade

These are found in /src/emc/usr_intf/gscreen in a compiled run-in-place linuxcnc.

Then there can be 'local' (local as in the users config with the HAL files) custom screen files.
These can be somename_hander,py and/or somename.glade

For instance the industrial screen is defined in these 'local' files. They must be put in every cofig folder that you want industrial in.
This is different from all other linuxcnc screens. There you just change the DISPLAY= name in the INI file and the new screen shows up.
This works with Gscreen too but you will always get the stock screen that way.

Chris M

Thanks Chris, That's alot to take in but in time i'm sure i will get it.

More
28 Jan 2013 23:24 #29224 by BigJohnT
Hi Chris,

Are you interested in testing pyngcgui with gscreen?

John

More
29 Jan 2013 02:06 #29231 by cmorley
Yes. That would be great.

More
29 Jan 2013 02:31 #29233 by tjamscad

I did something like if speed > 0 then check the at speed... I forget exactly where I did that at.

John

John, will this type of line fix the green indicator at speed 0?

More
29 Jan 2013 02:39 #29234 by BigJohnT

I did something like if speed > 0 then check the at speed... I forget exactly where I did that at.

John

Yep AFAIK that is what I did to get rid of an at speed indicator when not moving.

John

More
29 Jan 2013 02:42 #29235 by BigJohnT

Yes. That would be great.

I gave Dewey your email address. It is pretty polished up with a popup keypad to enter numbers as well as the normal ngcgui things. There is a setting -K 30 to make the data entry boxes taller so it is easier to touch them with a touch screen. It can be stand alone, embedded in a frame or added to an existing notebook so all in all pretty neat.

John

More
29 Jan 2013 07:42 #29247 by cmorley

John

I did something different, setting the on-color black at off time, do to the fact that it was just a HAL_led run from a HAL signal.

but anyways it works - I just haven't pushed it yet.

tjamscad have you tested with your machinists yet?

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds