Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
31 Jan 2013 00:29 #29318 by tjamscad
I can't attche pictures anymore?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2013 02:31 #29325 by newbynobi

Please explain useability?

That is for me the way you use a software.

What is the normal way to machine a part on a mill.

First you get the machine out of emergency circuits
then you will start the machine.
Now you have to reference all axis.
Now you will fix the workpiece and now you need to touch the workpiece to set the origin of the part, therefor you will have to jog around, mostly with all 3 axis. Let us say you are doing the touch off with an edge finder with 10 mm diameter, so if you toch off X you will have to enter -5 mm then you touch off the Y axis and you enter again -5 mm, ok now you put your Z-heigh mesuring block on the surface and touch on this, with normaly have a height of 50 mm if the indicator shows cero, meening you have to give an offset off 50 mm.

Now everything is done to load a program, so you switch to auto page, load the program and press start.

Wow everything is running!

Please count how many clicks you have to do to get here, don't count the jogging clicks.?
I am on 21 clicks on my screen, including entering the values.
How many clicks are needed using gscreen?
Don't you thing this are to many clicks, just to get started?
I am thinking of setting the values of the edge finder in an prefernce page, so I will save about 10 clicks to get ready (this are to enter the offsets by hand.

Hope I could explain my point off view.

And please stay on this development, I do like gscreen, it helps a lot to customize screens!

Norbert

More
31 Jan 2013 02:34 - 31 Jan 2013 03:10 #29326 by newbynobi
@Chris,

a bug or a feature?

Please push the INDEX TOOL Button and enter "(8x", not a value! and then OK from the manual tool index entry.

No error is lauched, but you should mount tool 0
I Think this should not hapen!

Norbert

This may be a solution:
def on_btn_set_value_X_clicked(self, widget, data=None):
        offset = self.entry_dialog()
        self.gscreen.add_alarm_entry(_("Offset X set to %s"%offset))
        if float(offset):
            self.gscreen.add_alarm_entry(_("Offset X = %s"%offset))
            self.gscreen.mdi_control.set_axis("X",float(offset))
            self.widgets.btn_reload.emit("clicked")
        else:
            print("conversion error")
            self.gscreen.add_alarm_entry(_("Offset X = None or wrong entry"))
            self.gscreen.warning_dialog(_("Conversion error !", True, "Please enter only numerical values\nValues have not been applied"))
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 03:10 by newbynobi.

More
31 Jan 2013 02:41 #29327 by LAIR82
Hello Chris,

We have been following this thread from inception and are very anxious to get our machine finished to get the gscreen interface operational. I probably have another week or two and we will be applying power to this one so I can start test and tune. Couple of questions for you,

1. We have applied the fanuc style tool patch on the machine we just finished, and now that we have some hours put on the new control, realized it is almost identical to the Fagor and Cincinnati controls in regards to the wear offset option that it incorporates. Does this have this available yet or do I still need to apply that patch while compiling?

2. For the hal file what is the best to find out the I/O pins related to gscreen so I can start writing my hal file?

More
31 Jan 2013 02:57 #29328 by tjamscad

First you get the machine out of emergency circuits
then you will start the machine.
Now you have to reference all axis.
Now you will fix the workpiece and now you need to touch the workpiece to set the origin of the part, therefor you will have to jog around, mostly with all 3 axis. Let us say you are doing the touch off with an edge finder with 10 mm diameter, so if you toch off X you will have to enter -5 mm then you touch off the Y axis and you enter again -5 mm, ok now you put your Z-heigh mesuring block on the surface and touch on this, with normaly have a height of 50 mm if the indicator shows cero, meening you have to give an offset off 50 mm.

Now everything is done to load a program, so you switch to auto page, load the program and press start.
Norbert

Norbert,
I am just running through this with simulator and gscreen-indrustral. I am not getting 21 clicks. What am I missing?

1. clear estop
2. machine on
3. home all
4. set x
5. set y
6. set z
7. program
8.load program
9. cycle start

More
31 Jan 2013 03:14 - 31 Jan 2013 03:20 #29331 by newbynobi
you have not count the clicks to set the values:

X = - 5
Y = -5
Z = 50

gives you a lot more clicks

and didn't you count the clicks to change the modes?
At the beginning you are in manual mode, where are the clicks to get to the auto mode?
You have to count also the axis selection, getting in jogging mode, just dont count any click of jogging, but one click for each move of the machine.

I am getting more than 27 clicks.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 03:20 by newbynobi.

More
31 Jan 2013 03:28 #29333 by tjamscad

you have not count the clicks to set the values:

X = - 5
Y = -5
Z = 50

gives you a lot more clicks

and didn't you count the clicks to change the modes?
At the beginning you are in manual mode, where are the clicks to get to the auto mode?
You have to count also the axis selection, getting in jogging mode, just dont count any click of jogging, but one click for each move of the machine.

I am getting more than 27 clicks.

Which gscreen are you using?

More
31 Jan 2013 11:11 #29347 by cmorley

I can't attche pictures anymore?

There is a problem with the forum - many (all ?) of us can't attach files...
Hopefully it will be figured out soon.

Chris M

More
31 Jan 2013 11:22 #29348 by cmorley

Hello Chris,

We have been following this thread from inception and are very anxious to get our machine finished to get the gscreen interface operational. I probably have another week or two and we will be applying power to this one so I can start test and tune. Couple of questions for you,

1. We have applied the fanuc style tool patch on the machine we just finished, and now that we have some hours put on the new control, realized it is almost identical to the Fagor and Cincinnati controls in regards to the wear offset option that it incorporates. Does this have this available yet or do I still need to apply that patch while compiling?

2. For the hal file what is the best to find out the I/O pins related to gscreen so I can start writing my hal file?

1) You still need the patch - I have not heard anything about this patch for a while - there was a couple things that needed to be fixed.
and the limiting of the amount of tools possible was not liked much by the devs. personally I think we should live with the limit and fix it in master.
I think the patch is worthwhile - just a few things to fix on it IIRC.

2) You can look here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Gscreen#Installation -It may be slightly out of date.
Also if you start a sample config of gscreen from the sim directory, then look on the debug page the terminal will display all the available gscreen pins

Chris M

More
31 Jan 2013 13:00 #29349 by cmorley

@Chris,

a bug or a feature?

Please push the INDEX TOOL Button and enter "(8x", not a value! and then OK from the manual tool index entry.

No error is lauched, but you should mount tool 0
I Think this should not hapen!

Norbert

This may be a solution:

Yes good catch.

The real problem is the Calculator widget return zero on an error.
Now it returns None.
So now when Gscreen detects the None it doesn't accept it and leaves the dialog on screen with the Error message on it.

For the tool index it still accepts floats which is technically wrong but it converts them to integers.
I'm not sure I am perfectly happy with this way of tool indexing but for now it does work.

Thanks for the report Norbert !

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds