Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
01 Feb 2013 22:29 #29445 by tjamscad

3) you need to set the user coordinate system G54 in the Z axis down aways.
(I assume you are trying the penguin example) it rapids UP for clearance.
If you have not set the Z axis to something else it is zero at the top of it's travel ( so can not travel any higher )
This is common on most of the examples.

soapbox = on
This is the most frustrating thing about the examples they just don't run! Well the ngcgui examples run out of the box. I've always thought it is ridiculous to make a sample program that doesn't run. There you are green as a gourd and you can't make a sample program run... what do you do? I put instructions in the splash code but no one can see them so it just appears to be broken... what a great first impression we make.
soapbox = off

John

John, thats is what I have been trying to point out. Everytime a new guy tries to use a LinuxCNC control machine it is nothing but headaches for everyone. If it isnt the new guy, its the guy trying to train the new guy, or the superviosr of the guy trying to train the new guy, or the owner of the superviosr of the guy trying to train the new guy. I was hoping that a different inferface would make it easier. But, I finally got someone to look at it (wich is not easy) and the first thing to happen is "line 21 excededs" error. First impressions dont last for ever, but time heals wounds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2013 23:17 #29446 by BigJohnT

If you have not set the Z axis to something else it is zero at the top of it's travel ( so can not travel any higher )

soapbox = on
This is the most frustrating thing about the examples they just don't run! Well the ngcgui examples run out of the box. I've always thought it is ridiculous to make a sample program that doesn't run. There you are green as a gourd and you can't make a sample program run... what do you do? I put instructions in the splash code but no one can see them so it just appears to be broken... what a great first impression we make.
soapbox = off

John

John, thats is what I have been trying to point out. Everytime a new guy tries to use a LinuxCNC control machine it is nothing but headaches for everyone. If it isnt the new guy, its the guy trying to train the new guy, or the superviosr of the guy trying to train the new guy, or the owner of the superviosr of the guy trying to train the new guy. I was hoping that a different inferface would make it easier. But, I finally got someone to look at it (wich is not easy) and the first thing to happen is "line 21 excededs" error. First impressions dont last for ever, but time heals wounds.

Try the ngcgui sample configs the example files all run!

John

More
02 Feb 2013 01:58 - 02 Feb 2013 02:10 #29451 by tjamscad
Chris,

Today I had Stuart sit down and use gscreen-indrustrail. He was very pleased but had some comments.

1. Can you add a button for machine off?
The reason for this is that he sat down and said how do I turn it on? He didnt want to push the putton for machine off because it machine off not machine on.

2. What does the "corridant system" button do?

3. Can you remove the double click screen change on the graphic menu?
Last edit: 02 Feb 2013 02:10 by tjamscad.

More
02 Feb 2013 11:23 #29464 by JaysonWallis
Hi Chris,

Wow, you sure get a lot of requests on here, so because I feel left out here's another one :)

If I run this small test file:-

%
G00 x0 y0 z0 f5000
g01 x100 f500
g01 y100 f400
g01 x0 f300
g01 y0 f250
m02
%

The feedrate indicator states 250 throughout the complete running of the file but the velocity changes.
It would be helpful if the feedrate displayed the actual commanded feedrate so that the feedrate over ride made sense or was this designed for something else?

I can't seem to upload a picture so hopefully this link will work

Example pic

Thanks,

Jayson.

More
02 Feb 2013 12:40 #29465 by cmorley

1. I thought it stange too. He said something about looking down being some sort of social thing. Another guy said that with the tabs at the top the button needed to be at the top so everything is in one place. Which make sense, all the CAD and programing applications have there tools at the top.

3. I cant seem to set the offset on the offset page. What am I doing wrong?

4. I noticed that there is a status section and a popup widget for alarms. The popup got to be quite difficult as it is distracting to use. Can you remove the popup since there is already a status section/

1) I thought it might be too busy, does this mean the status line should be at the extreme bottom or just pushed down?

3) offset page is just for reference - can't change offsets there. I might be possible to do that that though - quite a bit of work I think.

4) Ya I bet the popup notification stays up for 10 seconds too. Ubuntu messes with the notification program so it ignores my timeouts.
I load another program that fixes it so it only stays up for 3 seconds - I suggest it. but yes I will make it selectable.

Chris

More
02 Feb 2013 12:50 #29466 by cmorley

soapbox = on
soapbox = off

John

I was thinking about this and there maybe a couple of things we could do.
all the configs i have looked at set the origin at the limit switch, so they are close to a limit when they are started.
If we set them up so the origin was in the middle of all the axes then maybe the samples will work.

alternately we need to build special samples that work with the configs as they are.

The problem is that we set the config and the samples as close to real world as we can. In the real world you have to set the origin before machining.
We also could add the touch off info to the linuxcnc picker program?

Actually our samples are kinda in a mess.
I notice that many have INI entry's that are plain wrong / not used.
and are lacking in descriptions.
We need sample config writing guidelines.
Always more work to do.

More
02 Feb 2013 12:55 - 02 Feb 2013 12:55 #29467 by cmorley

Chris,

Today I had Stuart sit down and use gscreen-indrustrail. He was very pleased but had some comments.

1. Can you add a button for machine off?
The reason for this is that he sat down and said how do I turn it on? He didnt want to push the putton for machine off because it machine off not machine on.

2. What does the "corridant system" button do?

3. Can you remove the double click screen change on the graphic menu?

1) So he would like an estop button, a machine on button, and a machine off button?
I'm running out of room for buttons! I reality I expected most people would have real switches for these features and the buttons are mostly for status.

2) coordinate system button allows you to pick g54 g55 g56 etc system with the +- keys so you can set each's origin

3) yes i think we can do with out that and it's pretty undiscoverable anyways.

Chris M
Last edit: 02 Feb 2013 12:55 by cmorley.

More
02 Feb 2013 12:59 - 02 Feb 2013 13:11 #29468 by cmorley

Hi Chris,

Wow, you sure get a lot of requests on here, so because I feel left out here's another one :)

If I run this small test file:-

%
G00 x0 y0 z0 f5000
g01 x100 f500
g01 y100 f400
g01 x0 f300
g01 y0 f250
m02
%

The feedrate indicator states 250 throughout the complete running of the file but the velocity changes.
It would be helpful if the feedrate displayed the actual commanded feedrate so that the feedrate over ride made sense or was this designed for something else?

I can't seem to upload a picture so hopefully this link will work

Example pic

Thanks,

Jayson.

Jayson

I will look at it but it may be a linuxcnc bug as Gscreen just display what linuxcnc tells it ( or thats the way it should be)
**** Yup it's a linuxcnc bug - AXIS displays the same problem it shows only the last feed speed ****

yes there seems to be a firefox bug that stops us from posting,
apparently older firefox and chrome etc don't have this problem.

Chris M
Last edit: 02 Feb 2013 13:11 by cmorley.

More
02 Feb 2013 17:02 #29472 by cmorley
ok halscope can be launched.
I fixed all the dialogs except filechooser to not break the fullscreen
Filechooser is gonna be some more work. I know what needs to be done but can't find out how to do it.

I played with industrial with buttons on top - i'll confess I don't like it much, though it still needed a little work. I wish i could post a pic...
more work tomorrow ....

Chris M

More
04 Feb 2013 06:00 #29537 by tjamscad

1. I thought it stange too. He said something about looking down being some sort of social thing. Another guy said that with the tabs at the top the button needed to be at the top so everything is in one place. Which make sense, all the CAD and programing applications have there tools at the top.

3. I cant seem to set the offset on the offset page. What am I doing wrong?

4. I noticed that there is a status section and a popup widget for alarms. The popup got to be quite difficult as it is distracting to use. Can you remove the popup since there is already a status section/

1) I thought it might be too busy, does this mean the status line should be at the extreme bottom or just pushed down?

3) offset page is just for reference - can't change offsets there. I might be possible to do that that though - quite a bit of work I think.

4) Ya I bet the popup notification stays up for 10 seconds too. Ubuntu messes with the notification program so it ignores my timeouts.
I load another program that fixes it so it only stays up for 3 seconds - I suggest it. but yes I will make it selectable.

Chris

1. Flip the stuatus and spin box to the very bottom.
3. Ok, it would be great if you could. :)
4. Selectable is great, the popup is nice when it can be controled like for text entry but when it just stays.

Time to create page: 0.970 seconds