Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
29 Jan 2013 22:48 #29263 by tjamscad

tjamscad have you tested with your machinists yet?

Not yet, I haven't been able to get anyone away from there machines. They also hate LinuxCNC so getting them convinsed that there things are improving is very difficult. I am going to have to set up a demo machine in the brakeroom and force them to see it. I am still working on it and think they should be very happy with what you have done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 04:48 #29282 by karlkec
Here's what I did to get the at-speed indication to not go green at zero speed. It has a window comparator to tell when the commanded spindle speed is zero. If so, this prevents the at-speed indication since both the zero-spd-not AND the vfd-at-speed signals have to be true for gscreen to think it's at speed.

net vfd-at-speed <= hm2_5i20.0.gpio.037.in_not => and2.atspeed.in0
net spindle-vel-cmd <= motion.spindle-speed-out => wcomp.zspeed.in
setp wcomp.zspeed.min -0.1
setp wcomp.zspeed.max +0.1
net zero-cmd-speed <= wcomp.zspeed.out => not.zerospd.in
net zero-spd-not <= not.zerospd.out => and2.atspeed.in1
# This is what tells gscreen that the spindle is at speed...
net spindle-nzero-at-speed <= and2.atspeed.out => gscreen.spindle-at-speed

More
30 Jan 2013 08:09 #29286 by tjamscad
Chris,

I have the simulator termnial with gscreen running in our breakroom. I sould start getting comments tomorrow. Thank you for all you have done with this.

More
30 Jan 2013 12:04 #29290 by cmorley
This is a very workable solution.
It is alot of work to turn an LED off though hey!

I have fixed the problem programically now -I didn't really know it was that annoying :)

And you can set industrial's DRO colors again

More
30 Jan 2013 12:35 #29291 by tjamscad
Git pull in the morning? More updates :)

More
30 Jan 2013 13:08 #29292 by cmorley

tjamscad have you tested with your machinists yet?

They also hate LinuxCNC so getting them convinsed that there things are improving is very difficult..

Well that's too bad, but understandable.

Is it because of linuxcnc's abilities or just the display screen is unintuitive to them?

Chris M

More
30 Jan 2013 20:13 #29306 by tjamscad

Well that's too bad, but understandable. Is it because of linuxcnc's abilities or just the display screen is unintuitive to them?

Chris M

It is a little of both. I am hoping that gscreen can at least give them something that they want to at least try.

More
30 Jan 2013 20:54 - 30 Jan 2013 20:54 #29308 by BigJohnT
My friend has a much larger machine shop than me and they buy machines based on what controls they have on them, not by machine capabilities. The reason for this is the people that use them don't like change! He has one nice brand new lathe fitted with an Anilam 3000 control and no one will use it except him. I was somewhat shocked when he told me that.

John
Last edit: 30 Jan 2013 20:54 by BigJohnT.

More
30 Jan 2013 23:24 - 30 Jan 2013 23:24 #29314 by newbynobi
That is exactly my experience, people won't change if you don't force them to do it.
There is only one other way, check what they don't like on the control and show them that
in linuxcnc it can be done like they wish.

I had the possibility to refurbish a Heckler and Koch machine and the user first won't like to use it. After I changed from axis to mocca as screen he begin to use it, because this machine is the only one with a long X travel (1460 mm) he was forced to use it for some parts, now he asked me to change also a CINCINATY machine.

As I don't like very much the usability from gscreen, I am developing my own screen layout. As soon as it is "usable" I will present it in a new thread.

Regards Norbert
Last edit: 30 Jan 2013 23:24 by newbynobi.

More
31 Jan 2013 00:25 #29317 by tjamscad

As I don't like very much the usability from gscreen, I am developing my own screen layout. As soon as it is "usable" I will present it in a new thread.

Regards Norbert

Please explain useability?

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds