CamView for Wheesy and Jessie

More
02 Jul 2018 23:50 #113262 by Gene1934
I copied it over to that machine, butn its already been a long day for me.

My camera is mounted on the spindle lock which I took off yesterday because it was limiting the depth to which I could drive a small tap. I won't remount it till the job I'm in the middle of is done, likely 3 maybe 4 days. At 83, I don't push myself as hard as I did years ago. I'm making tap hats for all the taps I own that are small enough a 1.5 hp pmdc motor can turn them in a souped up G0704 with its plastic backgears. 90 volt 10 amp OEM motor, getting 16 amps from a 125 volt dc supply if it gets heavily loaded.

But when I do try this stuff, I'll sure report the results. Thank you for the prompt sending of the file.

Cheers, gene1934

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2018 11:44 #113660 by Happymacer
Hi Gene, well, if I make it, I really hope to be doing what you’re doing at your age! What an achievement!

Just thought I’d mention, I also tried some really old cameras, and they didn’t work! I suspect the driver was missing but not sure.

My camera isn’t mounted, I’m just experimenting with cameras. Now it seems to work ok I must make sure that the USB joystick works too, and I’ll mount my camera.

The slow FPS is a bit of an issue but slow moves will get work ok. Might be my computer!

Cheers
Happy

More
07 Jul 2018 16:22 #113680 by Gene1934

Hi Gene, well, if I make it, I really hope to be doing what you’re doing at your age! What an achievement!

While I appreciate the flowers, I'll warn you its not always been easy.

Just thought I’d mention, I also tried some really old cameras, and they didn’t work! I suspect the driver was missing but not sure.

There should be a log entry someplace in that event.

My camera isn’t mounted, I’m just experimenting with cameras. Now it seems to work ok I must make sure that the USB joystick works too, and I’ll mount my camera.

I doubt if you find the usb game pad, like a Saitek, won't be very usefull, The joysticks are both way to short to give good control, and impossible to move in a straight line.

Camera wise, my mount is a dovetail on the bottom of the spindle lock, and I'm finding the lock has to be removed when rigid tapping the smaller, shorter taps using the "tap hat" that I have now made about 75 of, which consists of a 7/8" R8 modified with a notch that accepts the head of a 4mm socket head cap screw in the side of a 7/8" brass rod cut to about 1.25" long, to lock it to the spindle. This slug of brass is bored thru, ewach a different size but the same size as the shank of the tap its going to hold, and uses that screw and a 2nd modified R8 mounted in the rotary table, bolted so its axis is along the x axis. Once its bored, then its inserted into the table moubted R8, and 4, 90 degree spaced holes are bored and tapped so as to allow a suitable sized set of grub screws to grab the square butt of the tap, locking it to the spindles rotation. By that means the tap remains in synch with the spindle and some very nice threading is done. I haven't found a better way to lock the tap so it doesn't slip, two 18" wrenches on an er20 nut and tts adapter cannot stop the slippage, but this does it nicely. But with a steel forest of clamps stick up from the table, something is bound to hit the spindle lock and goose the moose. But I've found the porter-cable impact screw driver can lock the draw bolt even w/o the lock if you han find a suitable 8 point socket. I only have one such critter and its getting fat, so it will split eventually. But atm I have all that jigged on the table at the same time. Makes production simpler.

The slow FPS is a bit of an issue but slow moves will get work ok. Might be my computer!

Yes this is a place where big iron cpu's help. ;-)
And the missus needs some lunch. She's crippled so I do it all.
Cheers
Happy

cheersd, gene1934

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
12 Nov 2018 09:33 - 12 Nov 2018 09:34 #120477 by FedX
Replied by FedX on topic CamView for Wheesy and Jessie
Hi everybody,
I have the Problem that my camera Tab disappears from time to time. But when i call v4l2 directly the picture ist there.. Does anybody else has this problem too? It could bei a communication lost, but why the whole Tab disappears? I would expect that the camera comes Back when communication ist ok.

Regards
Last edit: 12 Nov 2018 09:34 by FedX.

More
12 Nov 2018 11:13 #120482 by Gene1934
That's not quite the same problem I have. Here, I have a picture in that tab, until the tab , which auto expands with the rest of the axis display reaches a point where it actually is being made so that the tab size exceeds the native size of the camera, which is 640x480, then the tab goes blank, and the only way to bring it to life again is a hot reboot. Stopping and restarting linuxcnc does not restore it. But cheese, in another workspace IIRC works just fine.

I realize this isn't a fix, just a notice that I too think this code for camview/campy, is in serious need to some tlc by someone much more familiar with gtk/python innards than I am. Nothing is logged anyplace when it dies, not even in the terminal screen that LinuxCNC is running from.

If it ever works it would be handier than bottled beer, but its worthless to me in its present state. And I've got all the "align" goodies already installed in my axis gui. Everything works but the camera's, several of them.

Cheers, gene1934

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
13 Nov 2018 17:58 - 13 Nov 2018 17:59 #120585 by newbynobi
I just rebuilded the way to embed Cam in gmoccapy.

Please find attached a config for testing purpose as simulated machine.
Just copy all files to the config dir in your home dir and start gmoccapy_cam.ini

If you have installed all dependencies as mentioned in previous post, you just will need to add to your INI File:
EMBED_TAB_NAME = Camera
EMBED_TAB_LOCATION = ntb_user_tabs
EMBED_TAB_COMMAND = gladevcp -x {XID} -c emb_cam -H emb_cam.hal -u emb_cam.py emb_cam.glade

and copy the following files to your config dir:
emb_cam.hal
emb_cam.py
emb_cam.glade

This way no installing is needed. I did several tests and I have not been able to reproduce the errors you described. I tested on 3 computers with different web cams. My favorite is a Logitech C920

Please give feed back.

Norbert
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2018 17:59 by newbynobi.

More
13 Nov 2018 21:14 #120619 by FedX
Replied by FedX on topic CamView for Wheesy and Jessie
OK great, i'll Test it next week, when iam back at my machine.
I think that my Problem with the disappearing tab ist caused by connection/ frame loss. I also have the problem when expanding the window.
Im looking forward to test theese new files. I dont want to use mplayer because i like the crosshair features of camview.

More
13 Nov 2018 21:33 #120621 by newbynobi
This are not " new" files, just the way to embed the cam is different.
Norbert

More
13 Nov 2018 22:25 #120629 by Gene1934
I can;t find any attached files.

Where are they?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

More
14 Nov 2018 03:20 #120652 by Gene1934
But, I am using axis and have lots of work in its gui, so I don't want to change to gmocappy.

and copy the following files to your config dir:
emb_cam.hal
emb_cam.py
emb_cam.glade

And these files do not exist in the camview or campy packages, so where do I get them? I thought I had collected them all, but I guess not. URL to get them?

Thanks a bunch.

Cheers, gene1934

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds