How to. 2 or more motors on one axis. Gantry

More
19 Dec 2019 15:17 - 19 Dec 2019 15:18 #152913 by Todd Zuercher
The reason is because before homing the machine, the kinimatics are stuck in "Joint" mode, and the gui buttons for jogging the Y axis are only connected to joint#2 (the normal Y joint). And this is why jogging is usually disabled before homing in most gantry configs in Linuxcnc. I have not played with this my self, since I don't have any gantry machines currently set up for Linuxcnc.

I've wondered if there might be a way to tie both of the Y-axis' joints jog command inputs together before homing so that they could be jogged. I'm pretty sure it could be done without too much trouble using external inputs from physical jog buttons or MPG, not so sure if the jog buttons in the gui screen could be made to work though since their signals don't go through hal. I can't say that I've seen any examples of how to do this posted anywhere, but I haven't paid real close attention to the subject. I suspect most people just accept that you can't jog the gantry before it is homed.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2019 15:18 by Todd Zuercher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2019 16:40 #152914 by dgarrett

More
19 Dec 2019 20:50 #152926 by Jalfrezi19
OK, thanks all for the replies!
I'll dive into homing then... :)

Sander

More
12 Feb 2020 18:04 #157203 by DaveInConesus
My extra switches show up today. I recently added 3 homing switches and made a clean stepconf generated configuration that works correctly. Any warnings or guidance before I start at the first post in this thread and start editing (other than backing up first).

Machine is a Gatton CNC router with two stepper motors on the gantry. Running LinuxCNC 2.8.

More
12 Feb 2020 18:31 #157204 by bevins
I have a fully functioning XXYZ machine. It uses shared home switches though. But the machine is working.

XXYZ HAL

XXYZ ini file
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveInConesus

More
13 Feb 2020 02:07 - 13 Feb 2020 02:08 #157247 by rodw
You should not have any problems. I use seperate min limit , max limit and homing switches on my gantry. There is an example config here.
forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...ranch-gantry-example
but the spindle at speed pin has changed names since it was done.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 02:08 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveInConesus

More
13 Feb 2020 13:25 #157284 by bevins

You should not have any problems. I use seperate min limit , max limit and homing switches on my gantry. There is an example config here.
forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...ranch-gantry-example
but the spindle at speed pin has changed names since it was done.

rodw: That config works?
I don't see how. It looks really weird to me the way the joints are setup.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
13 Feb 2020 14:14 #157287 by tommylight
From a quick glance, it looks OK. The Joints/axis are not in order but that does not matter and should not cause any issues.

More
13 Feb 2020 20:19 #157314 by DaveInConesus
Thanks for the multiple pointers and the files. For some reason the system didn't notify me that I had replies. It is going to be freezing here in western NY tomorrow so I may give it a shot.

Dave

More
13 Feb 2020 20:46 - 13 Feb 2020 20:47 #157320 by rodw

rodw: That config works?
I don't see how. It looks really weird to me the way the joints are setup.

Yes it worked perfect. It is based off a pncconf test I did for Chris Morley after he added some features to pncconf a long time ago. At that time, I built my config by hand by modifying another config Islanded261 did becasue joint axes was not supported in pncconf.

It just shows how flexible 2.8 and on are with joint numbering with the independent joints.

But I got rid of all references to the axes in hal signals

So the axis assignment is 100% controlled by this one single line in the ini ifile
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=YYXZ

In my view this is how stepconf and pncconf should work but nobody wants to listen to me

Oops, end of rant.....
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 20:47 by rodw.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds