Installing Uspace for Master

More
13 Nov 2016 12:00 #82739 by rodw
I was up until midnight last night playing with Synaptic Package Manager trying to install uspace from the Buildbot Master repository. My original install of LinuxCNC was via the Wheezy ISO at about V 2.6 but have upgraded LCNC a few times using Synaptic.

Try as I might, I had no luck at all after uninstalling and installing everything several times. Synaptic kept complaining about broken dependencies but did not tell me what the problem was. I can install Uspace for 2.7 no problems at all.

Are there other workarounds to install this? I'm building a gantry machine so I wanted the extra JA features that have not made it to a stable release yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2016 02:21 #82754 by Todd Zuercher
To start with a uspace version of Linuxcnc requires the Preempt-RT kernel, the live CD comes with the RTAI. You will need to follow the instructions in here.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/getting-started/g...th_preempt_rt_kernel

More
14 Nov 2016 02:59 #82756 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Installing Uspace for Master
Todd,
Thanks,
So I started with uname -v and got
plasma@plasma:~$ uname -v
#1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc
I assumed as it was missing "PREMPT RT", it was wrong
I did the updates and upgrades then got to point 4 which has an error.
plasma@plasma:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-rt-686-pae
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-image-rt-686-pae

Does that mean I have to manually install from the ISO in step 1?
Is there another repository that I should add so the package can be found?

More
14 Nov 2016 03:35 #82758 by tommylight
I think you already have the version that is required. You do not need to install the 3.4.9.pae version. I assume you would want to install the uspace of Linuxcnc, but that might already be there too. Just start Lcnc and go to help>about to see what version you have.

More
14 Nov 2016 04:12 #82761 by rodw
Its so long ago I can't remember what I did as I've been building my machine for months but the Mesa 7i76 I bought from Big John T in June is powered up at last.. Axis reports I've got:
2.8.0-prel-2759-gb1113ad
I don't think this is the uspace version as it refused to install due to broken dependencies in the package manager.

More
14 Nov 2016 04:21 #82762 by rodw
I found a couple more switches to the uname command ("mrsn") that drill down a bit further
plasma@plasma:~$ uname -mrsn
Linux plasma 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae i686
plasma@plasma:~$

I think that shows I have the preemptive kernel installed, so back to installing uspace

More
14 Nov 2016 12:53 - 14 Nov 2016 12:54 #82770 by rodw
I'm still stuck here. seeing I was not making any progress toward installing Uspace, I thought one way forward would be to attempt to install the source and recompile based on the excellent tutorail on the eusurplus wiki
www.wiki.eusurplus.com/index.php?title=LinuxCNC_Run_In_Place

When I tried to install any of the packages, I got this.
Package build-essential is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

I did a lot of Googling and tried to resolve this error with no luck. It seems I have something wrong in the package management system, maybe a missing repository but I've checked the sources.list and everything seems correct. Noone of the usual methods seem to kick start it again. The packages required all seem to be in the standard Debian Wheezy package site so I'm a bit lost lost.

I would prefer to just get uspace installed but If I could build the source, it might be handy as I get into this. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2016 12:54 by rodw.

More
14 Nov 2016 15:19 #82785 by Todd Zuercher
The instructions for installing Preempt-RT in the manual I linked to above, recommend starting with and installing from a standard Debian 7 (Wheezy) image not the Linuxcnc Live image. I don't know what possible problems could be caused by not following the instructions or trying to install the Preempt_RT kernel and uspace version of Linuxcnc over top of the RTAI version. I'd suggest starting over. It has been a few months since I've tried it, but I've done almost the whole thing from synaptic with the exception of grub modifications and adding the keys for the linuxcnc repos , those I usually cut and pasted the command line from the buildbot site.

More
14 Nov 2016 21:13 #82811 by rodw
Todd, Thanks I think I am under way. I was able to boot from a USB image for the first time!
Initially the Wheezy install failed becasue it could not detect the CD. But I found this link
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/170069/...m-not-being-detected
made me go back to my PC to use win32diskimager and the resulting image is working perfectly as we speak.
I could never get LCNC Install to boot from a USB stick

More
15 Nov 2016 20:39 #82847 by rodw
Just confirming this all worked on the current version of Wheezy which is debian-7.11.0 iso vs the earlier 7.9.0-i386-netinst.iso in the wiki.

PcConf can talk to my 7i76e and LinuxCNC can find my Mesa card (after I changed the IP address in the .ini file to 10.10.10.10) which is great!

The only problem is that it broke my Asus WiFi dongle but my PC has multiple network interfaces.
I do need to get this working again so I can get it on my network away from the office.

The WiFi install requires compiling from source and I have not worked out which version of Linux Headers to use with the Preemptive Kernel and I was getting make errors. On bootup, Grub says I'm running Linux 3.2.0-4-rt-686-pae so I'm going to revisit the header version this evening.

Other issues I've found so far is that I need to fix are:
1. User is not in the list of sudoers so I can't run sudo (but there is a root terminal option in the menus)
2. I miss my Autologin!

I've still got to do the latency tests as I got a latency error with the defaults and it will be interesting to see if anything has changed much with the different version

Thanks again for help. I'll keep posting my progress which might help others

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds