Installing Uspace for Master

More
03 Dec 2016 22:24 #83635 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Installing Uspace for Master
Running wheezy Premptive with your kernel above using a Gigabyte brix USFF with a Celeron 3160 cpu. I chose this after reading where you suggested a USFF with a Celeron 3150.
Googling this vide issue, it is a common problem.
From what I can work out, Jessie has the drivers for the wifi and video as standard. I bought a HDD yesterday so might give it ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2016 23:28 - 03 Dec 2016 23:34 #83638 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Installing Uspace for Master
I never tried anything as old as Wheezy on the N3150
(I dont think the LinuxCNC Wheezy ISO would even boot on the Zotac with the N3150)

_But_ the 4.6 kernel should support the new N3160 graphics

What does uname -a report when running the new kernel?
Last edit: 03 Dec 2016 23:34 by PCW.

More
03 Dec 2016 23:47 #83640 by rodw
Thanks,

The trick to getting my USFF PC to boot from a USB stick was to copy the .iso image using win32diskImager on windows. Apparently there is a known bug with Debian when writing ISOs to a floppy. You have to rename the .ISO to an .IMG file first to keep win32diskImager happy. Done it a couple of times now.

I'm compiling the 4.8.11 kernel now. It was pretty easy really, I just poked around on the URLs in your 4.11 script to find the correct file names. For the benefit of others, this is what I came up with.
cd ~
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential bin86 kernel-package libqt4-dev libncurses5-dev libssl-dev pkg-config
mkdir rtlinux
cd rtlinux
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.8.11.tar.xz 
wget https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.8/patch-4.8.11-rt7.patch.gz
tar -xpf linux-4.8.11.tar.xz
gunzip patch-4.8.11-rt7.patch.gz
cp patch-4.8.11-rt7.patch linux-4.8.11
cd linux-4.8.11
cat patch-4.8.11-rt7.patch | patch -p1
make xconfig
make -j8
sudo make modules_install
sudo make install

I vaguely remember Kernel version 4.3 being mentioned as a prerequisite somewhere.
The Intel wifi driver says
you must also have a working udev and uevent infrastructure configured.
Is there any tricks to that? I just don't know where to start to even check that.

More
04 Dec 2016 04:58 #83656 by rodw
I think this has been a very informative thread helping a noob to install and configure Linux Pre-emptive kernel to allow use of Mesa ethernet cards. So lets continue the journey. I whacked a new HDD into my Gigabit Brix GB-BACE-3160 Ultra small form factor PC and started to Install Debian Jessie.

The Brix has a built in wifi Intel AC-3160 wifi card that is not supported in Wheezy so here is what I have done so far (As the install is still churning away.

On My Windows Machine
1. Downloaded the current Jessie ISO.
2. Renamed it to end in.img
3. Copied it to a USB stick using Win32DiskImager which I already had installed on my Windows PC.
4. Placed the USB stick in the Brix and fired it up.
5. Hit the Del key to run the BIOS and updated the boot order so it booted from the USB stick first.
6. Saved the BIOS and rebooted to the USB stick
7. Chose the graphical install for a change.

Not far into the install, it complained about a missing driver which I knew was the wifi driver. I knew the drivers are in the debian iwlwifi package. I had a couple of drivers from the Intel web site but they were wrong so I downloaded the iwlwifi .deb file from packages.debian.org/jessie/kernel/firmware-iwlwifi

Now this posed a bit of a problem becasue I had rendered my Linux PC useless. After a bit of a Google, I found that Win7 will extract .deb packages so I copied the \firmware-iwlwifi_0.43_all.deb\data.tar\.\lib\firmware\ folder to the root folder of another USB stick and poked it into the Brix.

I found this link that told me what to do pipedot.org/article/9483 SO incase the link disappears, here is what to do before continuing with the install.
1. Press <CTRL>+<Alt>+<F2> to bring up a console window within the install
2. run blkid to find out where the new USB stick is installed. maybe it is something like /dev/sdc1. It will say something about having a FAT partition
3. make a new directory to allow you to mount the usb stick eg. mkdir /lib/firmware
4. mount the USB stick with something like mount /dev/sdc1 /lib/firmware
5. List the mounted folder to confirm it worked. ls /lib/firmware
If you don't see the file syou expect, you have mounted the wrong device. Don't worry, simply choose another device and mount it to another folder e.g. /lib/firmware2. Well thats what I did when I got it wrong (cos I did not know how to unmount it.

Once you know the files are visible,
press <CTRL>+<Alt>+<F5> to continue the installation process.

If you are in Australia like me, try choosing the iinet mirror as I found the debian mirror to be very slow when I installed wheezy.

Now I thought I was on a winner. Install saw the wifi card and the screen was high resolution. But when the system booted for the first time and it displayed a message "Oh No, something went wrong, contact a system administrator" and halted. I have not looked into this yet. I think it was an issue with the boot process.

Looks like I'm trying again as the recovery boot process fails.

More
04 Dec 2016 05:38 #83657 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic Installing Uspace for Master
If you are starting all over with installation of jessie then it is better to use the netinst image that includes the "non-free" firmware like iwlwifi. Links are on the debian download page for jessie a page down or so.

If you later find that you need more "non-free" packages it is better to add non-free to the package manager. In /etc/apt/sources.list find the lines that say jessie main. Add non-free to the end of those lines. apt-get update. The "non-free" packages from jessie can then be installed with the usual apt-get install.

Regarding the udev and uevent message, I would assume that is ok and works. I use the iwlwifi driver although not the ac3160, on jessie just installed.

More
04 Dec 2016 09:11 #83660 by rodw
Well I came to a bit of a standstill here. I've worked out that the reason why it crashes is becasue the system can't open the display.
I can run it from the command line.
So if I try to install the INtel graphics driver from their site. I get a message:
This package is not able to be installed
Dependency is not satisfiable libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.16.2)

But when I rune uname -v, I am running the debian kernel 3.16.36 so go figure

I've learnt a lot but not sure what!

More
04 Dec 2016 10:14 #83661 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Installing Uspace for Master
Sounds like you never managed to finish the kernel build/install

More
04 Dec 2016 10:21 #83662 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic Installing Uspace for Master
I think it is best to avoid packages outside debian's package system.
The number don't ask for kernel version, it asks for a specific version
of libgtk-3.0. Standard jessie has 3.14 and that is the highest version
found with apk.

There are more recent driver's for Intel graphics, and this is something
I had to do myself, in the latest debian stretch version. No no no don't go there :)
Some useful packages from stretch are backported to jeesie and can be found
under jessie-backports. Here is how:

backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index2h2

Then update/reinstall the xserver-xorg-video-intel packages. Worked for me at least.

More
04 Dec 2016 10:57 #83664 by rodw

Sounds like you never managed to finish the kernel build/install

Yes, I did mange to get Wheezy to 4.1 and then 4.8.11 but still had a number of issues that meant I was no better off (maybe worse off) so I thought I'd continue the learning curve. (says he installing Jessie for the third time). This time I'll try updating the kernel straight away and go from there.

I broke it trying to follow some stuff I found that installed stuff from testing.branch.

More
04 Dec 2016 12:38 #83665 by rodw

I
Then update/reinstall the xserver-xorg-video-intel packages. Worked for me at least.

Well, no pleasant surprises here. The non-free .ISO helped with the wifi driver as it was recognised in setup.
Xwindows still refuses to run leaving me at the console again
The Intel package from backports above failed to fix anything. I half expected this because of what was said on this link
www.slightfuture.com/how-to/debian-newer-intel-graphics
I would not reccommend following the process he suggests. I did and it broke the package manager.
Running the current intel video package downloaded from their site still fails with the wrong version of libgtk.
I'm currently compiling the 4.8.11 realtime kernel.
I was a bit worried when make xconfig failed predictably with no graphics environment.
The system suggested a different make option that opened a text based menu so I could set the compile parameters.
Hopefully the new kernel might make a difference.

Its annoying that Linux can happily run a graphical environment during setup and then throw its hands up in horror when it finally boots. Surely it could fail more gracefully and revert to a plain vanilla driver.

Lets wait until the kernel is compiled and installed.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds