Installing Uspace for Master

More
04 Dec 2016 14:00 #83667 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic Installing Uspace for Master
Guess you need to look for clues in the usual places /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

When you are in the text console and type "startx" do you get any clues from the output?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2016 15:09 #83669 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Installing Uspace for Master

Guess you need to look for clues in the usual places /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

When you are in the text console and type "startx" do you get any clues from the output?

Well, I'll be! I woke up during the night and completed the install that had been churning away. The thing just booted first go into the graphics screen and I have success!
plasma@plasma:~$ uname -v
#1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun Dec 4 23:37:18 AEST 2016
plasma@plasma:~$ uname -r
4.8.11-rt7

So now, just need to install LinuxCNC. That should surely be a breeze after what I've been through

More
04 Dec 2016 19:39 #83675 by Hakan
Replied by Hakan on topic Installing Uspace for Master
Great!

What results do you get from latency-test?

More
04 Dec 2016 20:41 #83678 by rodw

Great!

What results do you get from latency-test?

Very disappointing at around 200000

But I think I should have installe uspace before LCNC. I better check the instructions Toddd linked to early in this thread.

More
04 Dec 2016 20:59 #83679 by rodw

But I think I should have installe uspace before LCNC. I better check the instructions Toddd linked to early in this thread.

Sorry it was all a blur. Of course I installed the Uspace version.

Any ideas about bringing latency down? I'have gone through all of the BIOS settings again.
Its also hanging from time to time. Wireless keyboard and mouse freeze. Only solution is a hard power off and restart

More
05 Dec 2016 09:07 #83690 by rodw
Well, I think the attempted upgrade to Jessie was an abject failure.
I am getting random lockups where the mouse and keyboard freeze for no reason. The machine ran all day unattended and was responsive when I got home. Then within a few minutes, it hung and continued to do so on and off.

I bought a bluetooth mouse home and had both the USB wireless mouse and bluetooth mouse running. When one froze, the other froze too. It is probably a video driver issue but the intel supplied driver still fails to install because of the same dependency issue. The onboard wifi driver failed to install. this can probably be fixed easily just by copying the files to a system folder but the system does not stay up long enough to do anything.

More
05 Dec 2016 13:27 #83693 by rodw
Wow! Mint is nice! and all my hardware fully supported.

So from what I read on this thread forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/31158-lin...-preempt-rt?start=10

Installing a preemptive kernel is the same process above. Are the kernels the same accross all versions of Linux?
I figure if I've manged to compile the kernel, I can compile Linuxcnc
Only thing I might have got wrong is I picked MINT 18 and I saw somewhere Peter said that 17 was a better option. Maybe Master has improved support.

Anyway, I'll give it a try tomorrow night.

More
05 Dec 2016 16:38 #83695 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Installing Uspace for Master
Did you try the stock Jessie system for stability?

As a general rule for realtime, I would not install _ANY_ drivers that are not built into the kernel
and hence patched for realtime

I would also avoid built in WIFI like the plague as these almost always use binary BLOBs with
really nasty code for real time (use a USB/Ethernet dongle for network access)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
05 Dec 2016 21:45 #83703 by rodw

Did you try the stock Jessie system for stability?

Yes, I used the standard Jessie ISO, I had no video support at all, so I installed the real time upgrade as discussed in this thread. This restored the video ( I never installed the Intel driver as its only available got Ubuntu, not Debian) but the system was tooo flaky and unstable to do anything.

As a general rule for realtime, I would not install _ANY_ drivers that are not built into the kernel
and hence patched for realtime

I would also avoid built in WIFI like the plague as these almost always use binary BLOBs with
really nasty code for real time (use a USB/Ethernet dongle for network access)

Thanks, I have a Wifi USB dongle which Mint recognises instantly so if Wifi becomes an issue, I will fall back to using it.

So I ran a batch script overnight and Mint 18 is now on the preemptive 4.8.11.
I've also installed the dependencies to build LCNC

Hopefully, I can figure out how to compile Lcnc but I'm sure I'll have questions to get going.
So now I'm stumped. I got this far following the eusurpus wiki
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc.dev/debian $ ./configure --with-realtime=uspace
Package libxenomai-dev exists, but information about its source package
is not available.  This most likely means that you do not have the
right deb-src lines in /etc/apt, or that you need to "apt-get update".
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc.dev/debian $ cd ../src
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc.dev/src $ ./autogen.sh
./autogen.sh: 6: ./autogen.sh: autoconf: not found
plasma@plasma ~/linuxcnc.dev/src $ 

I manually installed libxenomai-dev using synaptic but it did not resolve the warning
So what next?

More
07 Dec 2016 16:45 #83746 by cncnoob1979
The freeze issues were likely from the video driver installed inJessie. I experienced the same issues with my build listed here

I managed to get Jessie installed with linuxcnc. But the freezes were not acceptable and just as you described.
I upgraded my motherboard and other components for use with linuxcnc after reading this thread. Of course this is just for your information, if you decided to upgrade due to better latency concerns.

I have been extremely happy with my performance and latency discussed in these linked threads. Using Mesa hardware latency issues are not much of a concern now anyway.

Building linuxcnc with mint, I followed JT's Thread [Linux Mint] file he hosts on his server [ JT's Server ] I built from source to install.

I have now since decided to go with Uspace for linuxcnc. That way I can RIP the installation, would be easier to update on Linux Mint than having to build from source each time I wish to upgrade.

That's for another time however; I just purchased a new home and have since moved. Ill get back to the mill after completing the honey doo list :)

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds