OpenGL axis error on Compaq Evo N610c

More
05 Aug 2017 00:26 - 07 Aug 2017 12:05 #97015 by joel.maxuel
Hi, first post here.

I know it has been covered at least twice before, and I have seen the two workarounds , I am still experiencing problems getting LinuxCNC to start.

The terminal output:

Warning: Spoiler!

So the two workarounds I tried was:
  1. the libgl1-mesa-swx11 package in place of libgl1-mesa-glx. This change cased the following bootup error, dibabling hardware acceleration (assuming it was in fact working in some fashion before):

[drm:r100_ring_test [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon: ring test failed (scratch(0x15E4)=0xCAFEDEAD)
    [drm:r100_cp_init [radeon]] *ERROR* radeon: cp isn't working (-22).
    radeon 0000:01:00.0: failed initializing CP (-22).
    radeon 0000:01:00.0: Disabling GPU acceleration
    [drm:r100_cp_fini [radeon]] *ERROR* Wait for CP idle timeout, shutting down CP.

2. using the vesa driver for xorg. This prevented X from starting up altogether:

vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernel driver
    (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
    (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
    (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file.
    (EE)
    Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found(EE)

Attached (hopefully) is my full X log and conf file. Once again, this is a Compaq Evo N610c laptop (I realize the latency will very likely be a future issue - I plan to sim with it - although I do have access to a physical router if I ever want to do a real life trial) with a R100 radeon graphics card (Mobility Radeon 7500). As for software, I am running Debian Stretch with the Jessie and Wheezy repos pinned to allow for installation, and whatever is current on the LinuxCNC 2.7 apt stream (Wheezy).

Any pointers to get either scenario above to fruition would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2017 12:05 by joel.maxuel. Reason: Dup link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2017 12:13 #97103 by joel.maxuel
Okay, so I have made some progress. libgl1-mesa-swx11 has been installed and the boot now survives the ring test. This may be due to me setting the agpmode (4), modeset (1) and pcie_gen2 (0) options for modconf.

I also set:
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
...in the xorg.conf (not sure if it makes for any benefit)

But I still get the same error running LinuxCNC. I am wondering if I am missing some random OpenGL stuff.

More info added below. Thank you.

File Attachment:

File Name: glxinfo.txt
File Size:6 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: dmesg.txt
File Size:51 KB
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2017 16:46 #97186 by andypugh
Can you try one of the low-graphics configs, see how that goes?

Maybe sim/touchy ? or sim/tklinuxcnc

More
08 Aug 2017 20:31 #97203 by joel.maxuel

Can you try one of the low-graphics configs, see how that goes?

Maybe sim/touchy ? or sim/tklinuxcnc

Turns out Touchy and TkLinuxCNC worked.

I attached the Touchy log for reference, and turned on debug for Axis (also attached), if it helps.

Thank you for the help thus far.

File Attachment:

File Name: touchy.txt
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: axis.txt
File Size:20 KB
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2017 21:22 #97208 by andypugh
Well, that pretty much pins it down to being an OpenGL issue. But you had already worked that out.

Have you tried software OpenGL but with the non-vesa graphics driver?

More
08 Aug 2017 22:40 #97214 by joel.maxuel
Hmmm, I don't think I follow.

I am using the radeon driver with EXA acceleration in my X config (because when I chose vesa as the driver, X would not start - I suppose due to not finding any screens).

I suppose this is not what you had meant though - unless the goal would be to comment out any acceleration lines I have for radeon since software OpenGL is taking that over now.

More
08 Aug 2017 22:57 #97216 by andypugh
Sorry, I hadn't read your original description in full detail.

I wonder if the softwareGL drivers are actually compatible with the OS you are running?

More
08 Aug 2017 23:22 #97218 by joel.maxuel
No worries.

It's possible there is compatibility issues...that particular package skips over stretch - without pinning I would not have access to it - but the same can be said of many LinuxCNC dependencies. Then again, it is in unstable packaged as the same version as oldstable (jessie) so if it does not work for stretch, I suppose it would not work for unstable either (thus pending package cleanup).

Is there a good test to find out? I tried glxgears before and got 150FPS (but I am not sure if it was lying or not), nor did I know its method of render (except that CPU spiked during the process).

Package libgl1-mesa-swx11
wheezy (oldoldstable) (libs): free implementation of the OpenGL API -- runtime
8.0.5-4+deb7u2: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
jessie (oldstable) (libs): free implementation of the OpenGL API -- runtime
10.3.2-1+deb8u1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
sid (unstable) (libs): free implementation of the OpenGL API -- runtime
10.3.2-1 [debports]: arm64

More
09 Aug 2017 09:50 - 11 Aug 2017 01:15 #97234 by joel.maxuel
I am wondering if I am missing any Tkinter libs at this point.

I tried a couple other GUIs with success, and also some python OpenGL tests were successful. Seems like mixing those two with Tkinter is making the issue.

I found an example outside of LinuxCNC but needed Python 3. I will keep looking.

UPDATE:
So, based on the Linux Mint install post and pulling all my apt-selections, I am still missing these packages:

texlive-font-utils libxaw7-dev libncurses-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev dblatex groff python-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgtk2.0-dev libboost-python-dev texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-spanish texlive-lang-german libmodbus-dev dvipng libusb-1.0-0-dev inkscape

I foresee dependency issues, but I will install them, even if it has to be one by one.

EDIT 2:

Adding the packages above did not seem to help the cause.

I did find this unanswered thread that contains the same error message, down to the "_tkinter.TclError: NULL main window" which isn't common to see. The other situation I saw it was a StackExchange question that was about errorenous coding for python3. So that does not help.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2017 01:15 by joel.maxuel. Reason: Update (again)

More
11 Aug 2017 22:44 #97351 by joel.maxuel
I think I got it.

Looks like I had to compile from source, and I followed the attachment from the admin's Mint post .

It downgrades the kernel (and I have not yet rebooted since the compile), but all looks well thus far, especially under hw acceleration.

Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds