PCI parallel port disabled with Wheezy / Linuxcnc 2.7

More
06 Apr 2018 17:46 #108521 by probotix
The Oxford OXPCIe952 based cards work fine on the ECS motherboard, but its grabbing IRQ 24.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2020 15:34 #192550 by probotix
I am resurrecting this thread because its still relevant.
We were finally forced to upgrade to LinuxCNC 2.8. The A68n-2100 have been discontinued, and no of the newer mini-itx motherboards will install LinuxCNC 2.5 because of UEFI. So the motherboard we are using now is the ASRock J4005B-ITX.

So the SD-PEX10005 PCIe (MCS9900 chipset) parallel port cards that have been working flawlessly for years on the old motherboard, now show up as disabled on the new motherboard. Enabling it, it still does not show up in LinuxCNC.

Also tried removing ppdev and lp, but doing so causes both the primary port on the motherboard and the PCIe card to not show up to LinuxCNC.

Interestingly, though, the CH382L based cards that wouldn't work at all under 2.5, now work effortlessly under 2.8. While this may seem like a solution, I don't trust the supply of the CH382L based cards, and I already have a large inventory of the MCS9900 based cards.

Where to go from here?

More
21 Dec 2020 20:59 #192704 by andypugh
Google found: bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231821
Which is very old, but, perhaps?

And there is a hint there of something else that I found, related to entries in modprobe.d
www.linux.org/threads/solved-unable-to-f...nc-as-parport.24355/

More
21 Dec 2020 21:39 #192722 by probotix
I had actually found both of those links already. If you set enable to 1, lspci will show it as enabled then, but LinuxCNC still fails to find it.

The latter one looks interesting, but I don't understand the whole modprobe.d thing. Plus that guy was having problems with his CH382L card, which actually work flawlessy for me.

<shrug>

More
02 Jan 2021 20:49 #193890 by MNJoe
I'm working with this same card on Buster - hardinfo sees it as a Parallel Controller but when I do a lspci -k I can see there is no kernel driver loading for it. When I put the driver onto the box and try to do a make I get an error that the build folder is missing so I'm stumped at this point. I've not been able to find what I'm missing to compile the driver.

More
02 Jan 2021 20:59 #193892 by MNJoe
I got my parallel card which uses a MOSCHIP 9900 chipset and the script doesn't detect it. I installed Hardinfo and it shows it on IRQ11. When I installed pciutils and do a sudo lspci -v it shows the following:

02:00.0 Parallel controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9900 Multi-I/O Controller (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284])
Subsystem: Device a000:2000
Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
I/O ports at e010 [disabled]
I/O ports at e000 [disabled]
[virtual] Memory at f7c01000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
[virtual] Memory at f7c00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [78] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [80] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [800] Advanced Error Reporting

I look in /Dev for a paraport* and there is no file here nor is there any paraport listing in the /proc/ioports.
I run sudo lspci -k to show the kernel driver and I see the Parallel controller but it lists no kernel driver
02:00.0 Parallel controller: MosChip Semiconductor Technology Ltd. MCS9900 Multi-I/O Controller
Subsystem: Device a000:2000

I do have a linux driver but the Buster build environment appears to be hosed. When I try to compile the driver the build folder is missing and I've not been able to fix it by installing the headers.

Anyone have a suggestion for me?

More
02 Jan 2021 21:33 #193893 by probotix
If you're talking about the MCS9900 chipset, the driver is built into the kernel already. In fact the kernel already has drivers for ALL of the currently available PCI and PCIe parallel port chipsets. So I don't think compiling your own driver will help.

More
02 Jan 2021 22:59 #193899 by tommylight
@MNJoe
Do not hijack other topic that have nothing to do with your issue, Your post made on the "Results of latency test, list of computers tested for use with LinuxCNC" topic was moved to here.
Back on topic, the issue with parallel port cards disabled is discussed here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuratio...l-port-card-disabled
and on some other topics, so
sudo modprobe parport_pc should work, but might not be permanent so do check the link.

More
29 Jan 2021 22:13 #197094 by probotix
I have had time to do some further digging. Running 2.8 on older non UEFI motherboard with MCS9900 chipset cards, the card is also disabled. Same hardware ran 2.5 just fine. So this tells me for certain that it is the Debian 10 that doesn't like that card. At least that should be fixable. I poked around in the kernel source and the hardware IDs are correct, but I don't know how to dig any deeper. Anyone have any ideas?

When I get a chance, I'll try to get 2.8 running on Mint or Ubuntu and see if they are affected.

More
13 Aug 2022 17:11 #249662 by adouglas89
Hey guys, this forum is a little irregular so I hope this does what it is supposed to.\

I figured out how to solve either this problem or a very similar one.  I am using a card which uses the ASIX9100 chipset, apparently very similar to the mcs9100 one, which was reported to work well.

Using an old liveusb for linuxcnc 2.7, this parallel port card did not have this problem. It was also not detected and I never got it working.  Linuxcnc 2.7 wouldn't install from a liveusb anyway so I tried 2.8.  Finally got it all installed (problems with uefi and grub and partitioning and stuff).  Had to install ubuntu to get grub installed, so now I have dual boot, suits me.

If I run sudo lspci -vv it indicates the asix device on the pci bus there, which is progress.  However it says after the memory addresses that it is disabled, as described above.

this forum thread showed the way:
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231821
my quotes are broken on this keyboard, it says @I found that I could enable it by setting /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.0/enable to 1.@
There is a file at the path he specified, simply named enable.
You just type sudo geany at the terminal to open the text editor Geany with priviledge to modify the relevant file.  There is just a zero in the file.
Change it to a one, save it and re-run lspci as above.

It shows the thing is enabled.

The next step is to actually interface to the parallel port using linuxcnc.  After sorting through tons of misinformation on the subject, I discovered all you have to do is open the my_mill.hal file after running stepconf, and put one of the addresses provided by lspci for the io thing into the line for the parport driver. 

This is mostly explained in this document : linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel-port.html

For me the address was 0xe010.  So the line was modified from
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0 out"
to
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xe010 out"

It gives an error upon loading linuxcnc saying there is no parallel port registered at that address, but it still works.  I just put an oscilloscope on the parallel port to check it. Make sure you get the pinout of the paralle port right, it may be the mirror image of what you think it is, because the pinout is usually stated as the male connector, but you are probably looking at the end of the cable, which is female. That threw me for a loop a bit and made me think it wasn't working for a bit.

The following user(s) said Thank You: andypugh

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds