(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
24 Jun 2020 10:14 #172563 by tommylight
BTW also tested Ubuntu 20.4 has the same issues as Mint 20 since they are siblings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2020 12:58 #172575 by gerritv

And also Tommy dislikes windows,.......

That i do, wasted 15 years of my life with it.........:sick:

And yet here we are 26 pages of 'Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation' twists and turns :-) Kind of ironic I think. It all makes for good/educational reading though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Jun 2020 13:07 #172578 by tommylight

And also Tommy dislikes windows,.......

That i do, wasted 15 years of my life with it.........:sick:

And yet here we are 26 pages of 'Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation' twists and turns :-) Kind of ironic I think. It all makes for good/educational reading though.

That is normal on forums, over 90% of people who use this never register or bother to say thank you, that leaves some that missed a step and those are already registered and are kind enough to say a word or two.
BTW this tutorial was modified several times as i had time to find easier ways of installing it, and some off topic stuff included, so 26 pages are not much for over a years worth of posts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel

More
24 Jun 2020 13:22 #172579 by gerritv
I appreciate all the patience, help and work done in this thread. I wasted 10+ years with Unix (HPUX, Solaris, Sys 3/5, SGI, BSD4.1) and happily switched to Windows 7/10 but now find myself needing to use Linux to get LinuxCNC :-(
I got it working, with help from this thread. But I don't plan to update anything now it is working. Learned that lesson more than once.

More
24 Jun 2020 13:31 #172582 by tommylight
You can update it as much as you like just do not use the normal upgrade, use this:
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
This way everything is updated even LinuxCNC, but not the kernel as that would render LinuxCNC non functional.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerritv

More
24 Jun 2020 14:05 #172589 by gerritv
Yes, I knew of that method. However past experience with FreeSwitch and Asterix and similar led me to the 'if I don't need the update, ignore it' as chasing the latest is not conducive to keeping stuff going.

Gerrit

More
24 Jun 2020 14:13 #172592 by tommylight

More
24 Jun 2020 16:25 #172599 by Mike_Eitel
Nope Tommy. With apt I got that message and also fix-broken didn't work. Astomishingly I was able to get it done via Synaptics, using that broken functionality.

Please do not ask me why.
Mike

More
25 Jun 2020 15:12 #172736 by gerritv
Mike, could you summarize the steps to success please? I am using VNC at present but would prefer RDP.
Tku

Gerrit

More
25 Jun 2020 17:07 #172738 by Mike_Eitel
Ok, i'l try my very best.... (after two days of negotiations i'm quite tired ;-) )

Best is that you google mint 19 xrdp

On certain moments i saw on my remote desktop "DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" errors too. Disapeared in the meantime. Had the effect that my normal user was "distributed" over both screens, some windows on original some on the on site one. I understand this is when you are already logged on on the onsite display. When i login remote as an other user fx as root, no problem. Have to say behavior is not completely clear for me. Have to studie some day the concept of the internal "displays" and especially where to parametrize those things.

I did
sudo apt install xrdp xorgxrdp (the xorgxrdp made a big difference)
sudo apt install -y freerdp-x11 (sorry momentary not sure if i did install that too)

I tried afterwards apt to get eventualy newer versions... Not a success.
Get the broken package only fixed via synaptic (strange as apt was not able)
Also i believe that i did all that moods as root.. Maybe a bad choice...
I definitively found the running of the performance measuring has a permission problem in /run/0

Sorry to be not more of help, very short in time

Time to create page: 0.592 seconds