First Time Builder - Stuck

More
22 Jan 2020 04:50 #155397 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
Oops that's an error I introduced from changes I made to invert pins ... i'll look into shortly - sorry Skip the tune test for now.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2020 05:29 #155400 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
I pushed a fix for this - should be available as an update in a few hours.
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: dzawacki

More
22 Jan 2020 06:15 #155402 by AgentWD40

Does anyone know where there is a good tutorial for configuring using Pncconf for a 7i96? I ran through the config process and only set a few of the options and got the following error message:

A good one? None that I know of. But here's a bare bones walkthrough of setting up a 7i96 tailored to a simple machine. Lots of babbling and grammar issues but maybe it'll be helpful forum.v1engineering.com/t/lowrider2-plas...ild/13939/6?u=kd2018
The following user(s) said Thank You: dzawacki

More
22 Jan 2020 15:55 #155427 by dzawacki
Replied by dzawacki on topic First Time Builder - Stuck

I pushed a fix for this - should be available as an update in a few hours.
Chris

Well that's better than I could have hoped for! It wasn't me, and you were able to fix it quickly. Thank you!

I'll update this evening and give it another go.

More
22 Jan 2020 15:56 #155428 by dzawacki

Does anyone know where there is a good tutorial for configuring using Pncconf for a 7i96? I ran through the config process and only set a few of the options and got the following error message:

A good one? None that I know of. But here's a bare bones walkthrough of setting up a 7i96 tailored to a simple machine. Lots of babbling and grammar issues but maybe it'll be helpful forum.v1engineering.com/t/lowrider2-plas...ild/13939/6?u=kd2018

You're too humble, this is going to help me far more than guessing would have. I'll have this up while I configure later. It will get me close enough to start. Thanks!

More
24 Jan 2020 17:46 #155659 by dzawacki
Just wanted to report that last night I was finally able to get a motor to rotate!

Thanks to everyone for your help on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, AgentWD40

More
26 Jan 2020 12:21 #155795 by bbsr_5a
Replied by bbsr_5a on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
Get some sleep and Overthink things is many times a better idee to save Nerves and Hardware ;-)

More
18 Feb 2020 00:37 #157671 by J Crowder
I am so frustrated. I was using Mint 19.2 and could not load the 7i96 config tool, used pncconf and could get LinuxCNC to open but not allow me to turn a motor. I then scrapped the whole thing and loaded up Debian Stretch with LinuxCNC 2.7. Went through the process to upgrade and I am now running 2.9 and I got the 7i96 tool to work and produce files. I can open LinuxCNC but it will still not allow me to turn a motor. I do not believe that I am making this too complicated, on the contrary I think I am building it very lean just to get the thing to turn a motor.

The users and moderators here are super helpful and I greatly appreciate all of the advice that I have received and read in other posts. Let me lay out what I have and see if I can get this narrowed down.
uname -a gives me this: Linux linuxcnc 4.9.0-12-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.210-1 (2020-01-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux
I am trying to configure a 3 axis, 4 motor (gantry) cnc router. I have lead screws that are 2 turns per inch, I am using DM542T drivers with 8 microsteps, I have the 7i96 controller, ip is 192.168.1.121. I have NEMA 23 motors, 1.8 degree (23HS45-3504S). My computer speed is:
External Clock: 100 MHz
Max Speed: 4000 MHz
Current Speed: 3400 MHz
Speed: 2133 MHz
Configured Clock Speed: 2133 MHz
Speed: 2133 MHz

I read my Tmax and got this:
Parameters:
Owner Type Dir Value Name
23 s32 RW 0 hm2_7i96.0.read-request.tmax
23 s32 RW 2770320 hm2_7i96.0.read.tmax
23 s32 RW 37894 hm2_7i96.0.write.tmax

Configured Clock Speed: 2133 MHz
I have not flashed my card but I could read it.
I am using Axis GUI
Min Limit is 0 (Home) and the Max Limit is 48 since I have a 48 inch by 48 inch table. How do I figure the Max Velocity and Max Acceleration? I would assume it has to do with the specific motors and drivers but I have not found that information yet. Same thing with Home Offset, Search Velocity, Latch and Latch Velocity. I will keep reading but if anyone can throw me a bone I would appreciate it.

I have attached my basic hal and ini files that I created in the 7i96 config tool.

File Attachment:

File Name: deblinuxcnc.hal
File Size:7 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: deblinuxcnc.ini
File Size:4 KB
Attachments:

More
18 Feb 2020 01:33 #157675 by BeagleBrainz
How have the stepper drivers been wired to the 7i96 and how are the steppers wired to the stepper driver. It is helpful if you can do a "mud map" of how you have actually wired it, rather than just comment "as per instructions". We all make mistakes, that seems the best way I learn.

Have you correctly identified the wires of each stepper motor correctly ?

How have you set the DIP switches on the driver, has the current been set correctly to match the motors ? According to the data sheet for the motor it is a 3.5amp model.

On Page 9 Item 10 of the DM542T what is the status of the LED mentioned ?

More
18 Feb 2020 02:41 #157677 by J Crowder
Here is what I have: (all drivers and motors are wired/ colored the same way. I have them all on TB1 Step 0-3)

Motor Driver
A-(BLK) A-
A+(GRN) A+
B-(RED) B-
B+(BLU) B+

Driver 7i96
PUL+ Step+ (TB1 pin3)
PUL- Step- (TB1 pin2)
DIR+ DIR+ (TB1 pin4)
DIR- DIR- (TB1 pin3)

The Drivers are set to 3.76A peak, 2.69 RMS. Dip switch 1 is down (ON) with 2 and 3 up (OFF). Switches 4, 5 and 6 are up (OFF) with 7 and 8 down (ON) for 8 microsteps.

The LED on the Driver is a solid green. The red LED is not on at all.

I have 2 - 36V power supplies. Each one powers 2 drivers/ motors. I have a separate 5V power supply to power the 7i96.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds