TB1 Pin2 is Step0-
TB1 Pin4 is DIR0-

Wiring should be

TB1 Pin2 Step0- =========> PUL-
TB1 Pin3 Step0+ =========> PUL+
TB1 Pin4 Dir01- =========> DIR-
TB1 Pin5 Dir0+ =========> DIR+
The following user(s) said Thank You: J Crowder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 06:53 #157686 by Mike_Eitel
Are your motors enabled, means when you expect them to turn are the blocked or can you turn them freely.

More
18 Feb 2020 12:02 #157709 by J Crowder
Sorry, I had a typo. What you corrected is what I have.

More
18 Feb 2020 12:08 #157711 by J Crowder

Are your motors enabled, means when you expect them to turn are the blocked or can you turn them freely.

I couldn't enable then with the f2 or clicking the button. I don't think I can turn them freely.

For S&G I ran pncconf with this Debian/CNC 2.9 to create the basic config. I started LinuxNC without error and could jog 3 motors. When I modified the hal and ini for the dual motor gantry it threw errors. Will have to wait until I get back to it for specific errors

More
18 Feb 2020 13:34 #157723 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
Why were you 'modifying' the HAL for gantry motors? Pncconf should be able to get basic dual motor gantry to run. Pncconf calls them tandem axis...

If that facility is broken I would like to know so it can be fixed.
I don't want to derail your process here but am curious.

Chris

More
18 Feb 2020 20:37 #157750 by Mike_Eitel
If you try to run and they are still turnable, your config is not giving enable signals. Or you wired/configured the drive enable incorrect. Looking on your image i would guess that the unconnected 2pin plug is in relation of some enabling..
Mike

More
18 Feb 2020 20:51 #157754 by BeagleBrainz
Like most of the stepper drivers of that class the drivers are enabled by leaving the enable disconnected, disabling the drives is done by an active signal and enabled by an inactive signal. Kind of counter intuitive.

More
18 Feb 2020 20:54 - 18 Feb 2020 20:54 #157755 by Mike_Eitel
I know and hate it. Me will never let it unconnected.
But as i understood him he can turn his motors.....
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 20:54 by Mike_Eitel.

More
18 Feb 2020 21:00 #157758 by BeagleBrainz
I’m wondering if it would be worth disconnecting the drivers from the Mesa card and hooking up a 555 running at 5v just to test the drivers themselves.
It would be highly unlucky for all 4 to be FUBAR but at least it would rule that issue out. Also a continuity check on the stepper motors wouldn’t hurt.

More
19 Feb 2020 02:57 #157804 by dzawacki
Replied by dzawacki on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
The recent comments on this thread has prompted me to rethink my wiring and setup and I've found a few issues which get my machine up and running. You can view the first movement of the X-axis here:

There were a couple issues I had to contend with. First, I had followed an incorrect wiring diagram for the Mesa 7i96 card which likely led to my second issue which was the break out board I was using for a serial interface between the microstepper and the motor had been fried in some initial testing. Couldn't get anything to move with that one after that happened.

I rewired everything and replaced the fried serial interface and successfully got things moving again. I also decided to document the wiring, just in case I had a lapse in judgement and disconnected anything. You can see that here:

Just want to reiterate how much I appreciate how helpful everyone on this forum seems to be!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BeagleBrainz

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds