First Time Builder - Stuck

More
21 Jan 2020 20:59 #155360 by dzawacki
Hello,
I'm relatively new to the CNC world. I've dabbled a bit with a MaslowCNC but other than that I have no experience with them. However, I have a decent background in computers, some of which is with Linux systems.

I came across an old Dahlgren engraver at a price too good to pass on. The plan is to control the existing motors with DM542 drivers, a Mesa 7i96, and LinuxCNC.

All that being said, I'm absolutely baffled as to what I'm supposed to be doing to get this thing up and running. I'm now aware that the 7i96 complicates the issue, but I didn't do enough research before I bought the thing.

So far, I've installed a handful of different flavors of Linux and each of which has their own problems. Ultimately, I'd like to stick with a build of LinuxCNC, upgrade it to 2.8 (as I understand the 7i96 doesn't work on 2.7). Through reading many different posts on somewhat related situations, I've deduced the following:
When I follow the instructions on the buildbot page for upgrading to 2.8, I get to the final step
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc
and I'm told I already have the latest version.

Additionally, throughout my testing, I've tried skipping the upgrade to 2.8 and just installing the 7i96 Configuration Tool on a fresh install of 2.7 using these instructions: jethornton.github.io/7i96/install.html, but running the first command in the console, I get a "python3-pyqt5 not found" error and am unable to proceed.

I've been futzing with this on and off for a few weeks and I'm at the point where I know something is wrong, I just do not know what and where to find the solution. So if any of you wonderful people are able to point me in the right direction, it is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2020 22:02 #155363 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic First Time Builder - Stuck

Upgrade 2.7 to 2.8 using the instructions here: buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

No where can I see 2.8 mentioned on that page, 2.8 is not officially been released though it's very usable.
There are buldbot testing debs to install 2.8 so I bet it would work - what did you do to get linuxcnc to download?
using the line:
deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt
should actually work...

If you get linuxcnc 2.8 you can use pncconf to build a 7i96 config (then you don't need to debug the 7i96 config tool missing libraries).

Chris

More
21 Jan 2020 22:14 #155364 by dzawacki
Replied by dzawacki on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
Yeah, I was wondering if what I was doing was correct because I was expecting to see something indicate 2.8.

A little more background on where I gathered my info from:
To confirm, this command should be run in the terminal:
deb buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ stretch 2.8-rtpreempt
If so, I'll give that a go this evening.

More
21 Jan 2020 22:18 #155365 by tommylight
7i96 should work with 2.7, although i never tested it.
To upgrade you need to add the entries in the menu>system>software sources as per:
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
then
sudo update
then install linuxcnc

More
21 Jan 2020 22:27 #155366 by dzawacki
Tommy, those instructions are what I was following originally and getting the message that I was already running the most recent version, even though I was working with a fresh install of 2.7

More
21 Jan 2020 22:32 #155367 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
did you change the source line to from '....2.7-rtpreempt to '....2.8-rtpreempt' ?

Chris

More
21 Jan 2020 22:36 #155368 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic First Time Builder - Stuck
I have used a 7i92 with 2.7.14 and pretty sure I have also used a 7i96 as well

More
21 Jan 2020 22:51 #155370 by AgentWD40

Hello,
I'm relatively new to the CNC world. ...

All that being said, I'm absolutely baffled as to what I'm supposed to be doing to get this thing up and running. I'm now aware that the 7i96 complicates the issue, but I didn't do enough research before I bought the thing.

Hang in there!! 7i96 just means you need to upgrade your software which in of itself can't be such a bad thing. I've been happy with my decision to get one, and I'll probably be getting another soon for upgrading an old build.

For the record I set mine up with the pncconf wizard which is installed with linuxcnc by default. I think 2.8 is when pncconf started supporting the 7i96. But if I remember correctly using linux 2.7 you could set a config as a 7i76 (or 7i92 or whatever) using pncconf and then just go into the hal/ini files and ctrl-f and replace any references to the 7i76 with the appropriate reference to the 7i96... But that's kind of a hack, I only went to that trouble because I had problems with the 7i96 tool at that time. I'm sure you'll get linuxcnc2.8 sorted out soon enough.

More
21 Jan 2020 22:53 #155371 by dzawacki

did you change the source line to from '....2.7-rtpreempt to '....2.8-rtpreempt' ?

Chris

No, I used the master branch, which might have been my issue. I'll give that a go this evening.

Thanks!

More
21 Jan 2020 22:55 #155372 by dzawacki

Hang in there!! 7i96 just means you need to upgrade your software which in of itself can't be such a bad thing. I've been happy with my decision to get one, and I'll probably be getting another soon for upgrading an old build.

For the record I set mine up with the pncconf wizard which is installed with linuxcnc by default. I think 2.8 is when pncconf started supporting the 7i96. But if I remember correctly using linux 2.7 you could set a config as a 7i76 (or 7i92 or whatever) using pncconf and then just go into the hal/ini files and ctrl-f and replace any references to the 7i76 with the appropriate reference to the 7i96... But that's kind of a hack, I only went to that trouble because I had problems with the 7i96 tool at that time. I'm sure you'll get linuxcnc2.8 sorted out soon enough.

I'll keep this in mind if I continue having trouble upgrading to 2.8. Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds