LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users - Discussion

More
25 Apr 2023 07:52 #269822 by rodw
Its all good, Debian will remember your selection on the gear.
In Xfce, the bottom buttons should reappear if you cursor to the bottom edge. It is annoying

Also don't worry about being behind with versions. Thre is now a buildbot for bookworm debs. buildbot2.highlab.com/
I have not had time to work out how to install them nicely but I have downloaded and installed the latest debs for linuxcnc from this folder there
buildbot2.highlab.com/debian/dists/bulls...uspace/binary-amd64/
 I've used them a couple of times now
you need the latest ones starting with linuxcnc-uspace and linuxcnc-uspace-dev
you can install them with sudo dpkg -i

But give it another day or so cos I saw Phill pushed some changes today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2023 10:06 #269833 by beefy
Great info Rod, thanks very much for everything.

I have no idea if the Qtplasmac user manual gets updated whenever Phill makes a change / improvement, but I just printed out the 70+ page manual before reading your post LOL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
25 Apr 2023 10:11 #269834 by phillc54
If an update requires doc changes then we do it at the same time. Today's was only a bug fix so doesn't require doc changes.

More
25 Apr 2023 12:34 #269854 by snowgoer540

I do think someone recently used this guide though with success.
Are you sure you didn’t miss a step maybe? Or a copy paste error? I’ll report back once I get some time to check it out.

I don't think I stuffed up anywhere. 

When doing "sudo apt upgrade" the install paused asking me whether I want to update grub. I selected "Y" every time, so no idea if I did the correct thing there LOL. 

To avoid typo errors with terminal commands I also went through each of your PDF files, and copied the commands to a text file, so I could copy and paste in the terminal window, seeing as I couldn't copy and paste from the PDF files.

I did a quick install on a virtual machine this morning. Everything worked fine, except for one thing... There was a missing package when I did sudo apt upgrade. So for step 18 I had to do sudo apt upgrade --fix-missing instead.

Choosing Y is correct for all the things. You do have to change to install package maintainer's version in the one drop down but it should not affect you.

I suspect the missing package might have prevented you from getting all the updates necessary. It wouldnt update for me, it kept failing. So, hopefully this is your issue too...

I'll try to make some time to do a guide for MX21 in the next few. No promises though :)

More
25 Apr 2023 12:36 #269855 by snowgoer540
If you havent scrapped the install, try doing steps 17 and the modified step 18 I put above, then run the qtvcp script again (step 35) for good measure.

More
25 Apr 2023 20:15 #269895 by beefy
Thanks Snowgoer,

I've got a 2nd PC with MX which was installed successfully from your tutorial over a year ago.

I'll redo the MX install on that to try it out. Will be good to see any latency differences between MX and Bookworm, after doing Rods mods.

I might even reinstall Bookworm on the other PC just to prove I can repeatedly re-install from scratch successfully. Nothing worse than being left stranded without a plasma PC.

More
26 Apr 2023 09:24 - 26 Apr 2023 11:16 #269960 by beefy

If you havent scrapped the install, try doing steps 17 and the modified step 18 I put above, then run the qtvcp script again (step 35) for good measure.

Snowgoer,

I'm very embarrassed to inform you I found a copy/paste mistake.
In my defense I tried copy/pasting the bad line again and the exact same mistake came up, so it wasn't so much a bad copy/paste technique on my part, but a flaw in the copy/paste mechanism.

I went through the install as you suggested in the quote above, yet got exactly the same problem when attempting to run the script to install. Qtvcp (no such file or directory).
So I carefully checked every letter in the file pith with the actual directory tree and found the culprit.

In the PDF tutorial there is the line written exactly like this:

35. Enter the following command: /usr/lib/python3/dist-
      packages/qtvcp/designer/install_script

However, when I copy that and paste it anywhere it changes to this:

35. Enter the following command: /usr/lib/python3/distpackages/
qtvcp/designer/install_script

Note the dist-packages has changed to distpackages (the dash is gone). That sneaky little sod has been the cause of my problems.
So I added that dash in the file path in the terminal and Qtvcp installed, and I could then start Qtplasmac without any problems, and no errors on shutdown.

So when I installed MX a year or more ago I must have typed out the file path, whereas this time I've copy/pasted it.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile modifying that line in your tutorial to this:

35. Enter the following command:
      /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/qtvcp/designer/install_script

so it copy/pastes correctly.

So I'm very sorry for missing that and taking up your time.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2023 11:16 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, snowgoer540

More
26 Apr 2023 11:24 #269967 by snowgoer540

I'm very embarrassed to inform you I found a copy/paste mistake.
In my defense I tried copy/pasting the bad line again and the exact same mistake came up, so it wasn't so much a bad copy/paste technique on my part, but a flaw in the copy/paste mechanism.

No need to be embarrassed, it's technically my fault anyways.

I copy and pasted the metric to imperial conversion of 1/25.4 as 1/25 the other day and broke framing for a few days. None of us are infallible. :)

I went through the install as you suggested in the quote above, yet got exactly the same problem when attempting to run the script to install. Qtvcp (no such file or directory).

Ah, I didn't know that's the error you had received during install.

So I carefully checked every letter in the file pith with the actual directory tree and found the culprit.

This is the important part; good find. I wouldn't have noticed since I typed the lines in because the Virtual Machine I made didn't have the copy/paste in and out of the VM turned on (I was too lazy to install guest additions for a quick test).

I will update the works, and fix the files. Thank you; glad you're back in business.

More
26 Apr 2023 13:32 #269977 by snowgoer540
Guides 2 and 3 were updated.  

What an interesting "bug".  The line was correct in the doc, meaning there was no erroneous space or enter or anything.  Adobe just interpreted the - on copy/paste as being a continuation of a word, and not an actual dash.  I put it all on the same line, and it copy pastes fine.  Things to remember for the future I suppose.  Thanks again for the feedback.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds