LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

More
20 Feb 2024 03:29 #293815 by RNZ
Replied by RNZ on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
I have had no issues with the display. I have been running a Micro HDMI (Pi end) to HDMI (full size HDMI, monitor end) and it is perfect. I have been playing a bit with the Dragon GUI FWIW.

If you or others want help with parts or ideas of pictures, let me know. I hope to work of getting the whole thing working within the next 2 weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flyingbrick, ProcksMFG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2024 19:04 #293855 by flyingbrick
Hi all.

Cant remember if i have said this, but, highly recommend fitting an NVME hat and drive to your pi (I went pimeroni, its a great bit of kit).

Absolutely the #1 best thing you could do to your Pi and its an absolute fail that they didn't provide it on the underside of the board by default- The 5 is fast enough to be severely limited by using an SD card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNZ

More
20 Feb 2024 20:15 #293858 by RNZ
Replied by RNZ on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
What is the benefit of using an NVME drive as opposed to an SD card? I’m using an SD card in the boot up time is about five seconds or so.

The part you mentioned is on Mouser but not Digikey (Feb 21, 2024).

nz.mouser.com/c/?q=pimoroni%20nvme

More
20 Feb 2024 22:15 #293863 by flyingbrick
I purchased from pimeroni themselves.

SD cards are SLOW. The Pi5 feels snappy compared to the Pi4 and some older PC's but the NVME drive completely changes the game.

PS, SD cards have write speeds of something like 30mb/s and read of 90 mb/s. (varies greatly depending on SD card)

With my NVME (which is just a used laptop one that i got for $5) and the pimeroni hat, I get 432mb/s write and 735mb/s read.

More
20 Feb 2024 22:19 #293866 by flyingbrick
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Feb 2024 22:25 #293867 by tommylight
NMVE drives can do up to 7GB/s of read and write, but those are pricey, and i do not know what RPI5 uses to access it, but 700MB/s is still a bit faster than the fastest SSD, so very good for the price.

More
20 Feb 2024 22:29 #293868 by flyingbrick
the Pi5 is only single lane PCIE. I do not know much about this stuff nor how it works, but i believe that limits maxumum speed - there is no benefit to going with a faster NVME.

More
21 Feb 2024 01:06 #293875 by ProcksMFG
On the long run, the Nvme SSD should be more reliable. The read write speed boost is also a nice add. Most Nvme hats are on top of the Pi. I don't like it as it obstruct the cooling. Make no sense to run the RPi5 without the 5$ active cooler. Having the Nvme hat on the bottom (look for Geekworm X1002) with the active cooler makes a nice package.

RNZ, I'm looking forward to follow the progress of your build. I'm still in the planning stage. My design of the mechnical part is mostly complete. My attention is now on the electrical cabinet.

Newbie question: The RPi5 will talk to the Mesa 7I96S via an Ethernet cable. I would like to use a Mesa 7I73 Pendant/control panel interface. What ports/cable do I use to connect to the 7I96S? Thanks!

More
21 Feb 2024 01:16 #293876 by tommylight

Newbie question: The RPi5 will talk to the Mesa 7I96S via an Ethernet cable. I would like to use a Mesa 7I73 Pendant/control panel interface. What ports/cable do I use to connect to the 7I96S? Thanks!

A plain network cable, cut in half, RJ45 connector to 7i73, the cut side to terminals on 7i96S.
Details on color wiring on the 7i96S manual from the www.mesanet.com website.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProcksMFG

More
21 Feb 2024 01:24 #293877 by ProcksMFG
Thanks tommylight for the clarification!

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds