New and Working RTAI debs for 2.9

More
10 Jul 2024 10:02 #304794 by NickH
Newby Linux user, successful install(well software starts anyway!) exactly as Bari' instructions. I did have to purge the previous RTAI version.
Now to Ethercat, do I need to recompile for Ethercat servo, or is that package part of what I have just installed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2024 12:38 #304806 by Mecanix
Well snap, jealous of those which .279 works. Doesn't seem to like my lenovo & 4ax milling machine for some reason :(
Reverting back to 5.4.258 sorts it in my case. 

Observations:
1. Upgrade from .258 -> .279 went smooth. RTAI starts and everything. (That's all good).
2. The isocpu grub init is indeed mandatory. Does not start otherwise. (I personally don't care!)
3. On a PC cold boot I can; start linuxcnc, home the machine, jog. (That's all good).
4. I do however get a new RTAPI ERROR. I didn't had this with 5.4.258. (see visual). 
5. If I close linuxcnc, it's impossible to start it up again. Needs a full machine reboot. (see attached logs/traces)

Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2024 20:01 #304845 by NTULINUX
Hey Mecanix, are you able to start and close the latency histogram without rebooting? If not, try a more simple test. The RTAI testsuite is built-in and you can try running that as well.

It's: /usr/realtime*/testsuite/run (Ctrl+C to cancel)

More
10 Jul 2024 22:51 #304853 by Mecanix
Good and bad news. Bad news first; I've put back 5.4.258 temporarily. I really terrorized myself yesterday when I saw it broken (sweats man lol), knowing I desperately need this mill all of this coming Saturday and Sunday (important project). And so the bad news is I won't be able to test this out, at least not before the coming week.

The good news is; I'll surely reinstall 5.4.279 and give it another go. Let's get to the bottom of this, if not only to improve the making of RTAI. I'll update in 4~5 days max.

Side note. I've just placed a Dell Optiplex 780 w/ a built-in parport on order to backup with. That way I can test on real hardware before making changes to the production-ready kit - yesterday's self-terrorism just can't happen again.

More
13 Jul 2024 19:06 #305104 by NTULINUX
Thanks Mecanix for helping us test. The 5.4.279 kernel shouldn't cause any regressions as it's all just backported fixes, and the respective LinuxCNC package for it restored some files I shouldn't have deleted in the earlier Debian package, so if anything it should be better and not worse, and this is a run-on-sentence.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds