Ethercat HAL driver

More
26 Jul 2017 15:13 #96478 by mngr0
Replied by mngr0 on topic Ethercat HAL driver
thanks, i understood my mistake,
this is what i did:
git clone https://github.com/sittner/linuxcnc-ethercat.git
sudo touch /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-mds.list
echo "deb http://repo.modusoft.de/linuxcnc/wheezy ./" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/linuxcnc-mds.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes etherlabmaster-dev
cd linuxcnc-ethercat
make
sudo make install
cd src
sudo cp lcec_conf /usr/bin/

i set my configuration in the file /etc/default/ethercat.
now, i think i have to write something like
sudo /etc/init.d/ethercat start
am i right?
but in init.d there is no ethercat executable, using find i see some results
/lib/modules/3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/ethercat
/usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/ethercat
/usr/bin/ethercat
/etc/default/ethercat

the only executable is /usr/bin/ethercat, but it do not accept the "start" command (it would accept "slaves" command, for example)

do i have to start the master in this way?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2017 16:32 #96490 by Allan
Replied by Allan on topic Ethercat HAL driver
In my experience, following installation the master starts automatically.

More
27 Jul 2017 15:35 #96572 by mngr0
Replied by mngr0 on topic Ethercat HAL driver
you are right allan, i just had to reboot to see the slave,
the master was the slave, then operational, then started linuxcnc, patched the xml file, an halcmd command, and then the led switched on!!

thank you very much sirop for your patience and your help

More
06 Aug 2017 15:38 #97069 by sqmathlete
Replied by sqmathlete on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Hi,

I am looking for some clarification regarding the setup of Delta ASDA-A2E (ethercat) servo amps using Twincat2. I am totally new to this and my body of knowledge regarding CoE comes basically from Copely's CANopen Programmers manual and Delta's ASDA-A2 Ethercat Manual.

Do you have to configure all of the SDO contents (PDO's) in Twincat2 before you create the xml file? from sittners files it looks like you are setting only the values of the PDO objects not assigning them???

Example: For testing I wired the basic 4 digital inputs (+limit, - limit, estop, homesw) required by default. I can send commands through Twincat2 and the motor works. (Note: I followed the instructions in the Ethercat manual) Now, I need to add a few more inputs/outputs for interacting with LinuxCNC, is it as simple as changing the parameters in the servo amp, restarting and then re-scanning in Twincat2? or is there some other sort of wizardry required?

Kind Regards,
Dan

More
06 Aug 2017 16:18 - 06 Aug 2017 16:18 #97070 by sirop
Replied by sirop on topic Ethercat HAL driver

Hi,
Do you have to configure all of the SDO contents (PDO's) in Twincat2 before you create the xml file? from sittners files it looks like you are setting only the values of the PDO objects not assigning them???

Now, I need to add a few more inputs/outputs for interacting with LinuxCNC, is it as simple as changing the parameters in the servo amp, restarting and then re-scanning in Twincat2? or is there some other sort of wizardry required?

Kind Regards,
Dan

Sittner's XML does allow PDO configuration by means of RAW SDO which is not so convenient and pretty error prone.

So you have to configure your additional PDOs either with TwinCAT or similar to this example www.iram.fr/~blanchet/ethercat/akd/examples/akd_free_pdo.sh .
Check "How to Map (or Remap) a PDO" of Copley's CANopen Programmers manual .
Last edit: 06 Aug 2017 16:18 by sirop. Reason: typo

More
07 Aug 2017 07:04 #97096 by plopes9000
Replied by plopes9000 on topic Ethercat HAL driver
Hi Frank,

How did you overcome the issue of the el6751 dynamic PDOs? Via backup parameter?

Thank you

More
07 Aug 2017 21:44 #97129 by sqmathlete
Ok,Thanks! From what I gather, as long as you can pull the info required for the .hal file and the PDO's match that's what matters. I looked at the .xml provided by Delta and see that the initial pdo's are configured in there and they correspond to what I see in Twincat. I am guessing that it would also be possible to edit that file manually, i.e. add the pdo's you want, rather then manipulate/add/load through Twincat? Either way should work no? Manually editing does sound risky though...and error correction could eat up the eprom memory...I think?

Thanks again
Dan

More
08 Aug 2017 00:11 #97143 by sirop
Replied by sirop on topic Ethercat HAL driver

Ok,Thanks! From what I gather, as long as you can pull the info required for the .hal file and the PDO's match that's what matters. I looked at the .xml provided by Delta and see that the initial pdo's are configured in there and they correspond to what I see in Twincat. I am guessing that it would also be possible to edit that file manually, i.e. add the pdo's you want, rather then manipulate/add/load through Twincat? Either way should work no? Manually editing does sound risky though...and error correction could eat up the eprom memory...I think?

Thanks again
Dan

Normally you should not edit either .xml provided by Delta or slave's EEPROM.

I thought Twincat were able to do PDO mapping. The mapped PDOs remain until you power cycle the slave. So PDO mapping is not
the same as EEPROM editing.

More
08 Aug 2017 00:24 #97145 by sqmathlete
To be honest this where I am a bit unclear still. In TwinCat I can add to the PDO's to the sync manager idx 2 and 3. I'm just not sure how the amp knows that I have modified them. I think you have to go Generate, Check, Activate (in Twincat) and that loads the sdo configuration into the amp...rewritting the eprom. I read in the manual that there is a limited number of times you can do this. Perhaps, I am confused about the finer points of TwinCat...?

In terms of editing the Delta file, you can see which PDO's are configured by default in the Delta file. just thought you might be able to add to these, similar to the indramat setup tutorial docs.google.com/document/d/1GiB065ZIAaoM...xGQl2X9DM9-THNM/edit.

More
08 Aug 2017 00:27 #97146 by sqmathlete
Attached is the delta .xml file
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds