Beckhoff ethercat 64 with bit linuxcnc, How to install.

More
04 Aug 2021 16:27 #216921 by db1981
Hmm,

point 5.3 does not work, the new packages are not build. i will have to test this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: foxington

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2021 17:13 - 05 Aug 2021 17:21 #216995 by TheRoslyak
Hi everyone
Can you say: does supported module el6022? As I understand it this module isn't in source but can I make correct XML file without edit source?
In global I want to connect linuxcnc with modbus device. I find that this do to connected with VFD. But send parcel coordinates to memory cell in Scara (Delta Electronic)  
Last edit: 05 Aug 2021 17:21 by TheRoslyak.

More
05 Aug 2021 18:38 #217003 by db1981
Hi,

you are able to create an config.xml for el6022, but this will give you only hardware control of the serial port (in/out buffer, status/control bits).

So you would have to implent the modbus communication layer by your own or you need an virtual com port driver which uses the halpins from the el6022 and could be used as "normal" com port for the linuxcnc modbus component. but this doesn't exists yet.

More
08 Aug 2021 17:44 - 08 Aug 2021 17:44 #217249 by foxington
have anybody got any actual guide to install ethercat on lcnc nowdays please?

I really fighting with that installation, I managed to use several links and guides but without any success. every where something was wrong just one link from Grotius
https://github.com/grotius-cnc/Skynet_Robot_Control_Rtos_Ethercat
works just as OS installation and after run script to afterinstall the ethercat but it was just with "generic" drivers supported...

Last edit: 08 Aug 2021 17:44 by foxington.

More
09 Aug 2021 19:31 - 09 Aug 2021 19:34 #217329 by Grotius
Hi Foxington.

I use this version after it was released:
sourceforge.net/projects/linux-11-pro/

It has a "skynet software installer" in the system menu. This will install additional software like lcnc, ethercat etc.

It uses this mirror:
github.com/grotius-cnc/Linux-Pro/releases/tag/1.0.0

If you look inside the deb package for pre-install or post-install files (scripts), you can see how it's installed.
github.com/grotius-cnc/Linux-Pro/release...inuxcnc-ethercat.deb

** works just as OS installation and after run script to afterinstall the ethercat but it was just with "generic" drivers supported...
If you are using iso's from grotius, check the crontab -e to change the generic driver in something else.

# In terminal : $ crontab -e
    @reboot echo MASTER0_DEVICE="$(cat /sys/class/net/enp0s25/address)" DEVICE_MODULES=generic > /etc/sysconfig/ethercat
    # Slow down the process so above line is done before the restart.
    @reboot /opt/ethercat/script/init.d/ethercat start
    @reboot /opt/ethercat/script/init.d/ethercat stop
    @reboot /opt/ethercat/script/init.d/ethercat restart

Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 19:34 by Grotius.

More
10 Aug 2021 19:18 - 10 Aug 2021 19:33 #217417 by foxington
thanks for your time, your work is briliant with lcec and skynet too... I want to know small piece from you knowledges mr. ...

1. I will install linux from your hybrid iso...
2. after I hit install ethercat installer from desktop
3. then in terminal will run
crontab -e

there at the end of file I will add these few lines of code sure ? I have 8139too chipset such as " enp16s0 "
@reboot echo MASTER0_DEVICE="$(cat /sys/class/net/enp16s0/address)" DEVICE_MODULES=8139too > /etc/sysconfig/ethercat

# Slow down the process so above line is done before the restart.
@reboot /opt/ethercat/script/init.d/ethercat start
@reboot /opt/ethercat/script/init.d/ethercat stop
@reboot /opt/ethercat/script/init.d/ethercat restart

I am not soo good in linux yet just learning it in free time, I like to ask twice before I something mess out ... 

Last edit: 10 Aug 2021 19:33 by foxington. Reason: formating text
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grotius

More
10 Aug 2021 21:10 #217425 by Grotius
Hi Foxington,

1. I will install linux from your hybrid iso... => sourceforge.net/projects/linux-11-pro/fi...nux-Pro.iso/download
2. after I hit install ethercat installer from desktop => In the menu click on : skynet software installer

This will take a while.

3. then in terminal will run => # crontab -e     ( # is as superuser "sudo" , $ is user)

Crontab is just a tiny program that is active during pc startup. I used it to start up the ethercat bus. And it set's the mac adress
at boot time. Nothing can really go wrong here. If there is a fault it will pass without you notice it.

Lets tear this down :@reboot echo MASTER0_DEVICE="$(cat /sys/class/net/enp16s0/address)" DEVICE_MODULES=8139too > /etc/sysconfig/ethercat

A specific crontab command:
@reboot
This will give you the mac adress in return, you can also replace it with another command as long it returns the mac adres :
echo MASTER0_DEVICE="$(cat /sys/class/net/enp16s0/address)"
For example, you can write a tiny script:
echo MASTER0_DEVICE="$(givemymac.sh)"

Your driver, generic, or something else like :
DEVICE_MODULES=8139too

This ">" will overwrite everything at the destiny. ">>" is for append.
> /etc/sysconfig/ethercat

The reason i mentioned you the crontab -e. Is that if you want to change the generic driver in something else, you have to
know something is done at boot time.

I am not soo good in linux yet just learning it in free time, I like to ask twice before I something mess out ... 
Linux is the best. Stop using windows !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: pommen, foxington

More
11 Aug 2021 07:54 - 11 Aug 2021 07:54 #217480 by foxington
Yes thank you, I understand whats going on here.

I did it but issue is still same as was
Updating EtherCAT master confiuration
modinfo: ERROR: Module ec_8139too not found.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-11-rt-amd64

but this nice script during booting linux will not solve problem of missing ethercat drivers like as " ec_8139too or other different ethercat network card drivers" which should not be used due their disabled during instalation of ethercat on linux...

but we are still solving " the consequence " of installation. But not " source " of problem I think soo. how to solve it for next ones who will want to install it theirself like as easiest as possible...  during the grotius installation are disabling every drivers just "generic" is used like "universal tool" which will work on everything but not with best performance if I am not wrong?

But I am still thinking about how to optimalize it:
1. check accessible network card and read actual value of used drivers.
2. this value should be compared of value of actual supported drivers for ethercat on linuxcnc
3. if there will be some driver which match with supported drivers it will be enabled and installed automatic
     else it will be installed " generic " driver, which will work with every network card...

should is it possible do you think?
Last edit: 11 Aug 2021 07:54 by foxington. Reason: text formating

More
11 Aug 2021 10:50 - 11 Aug 2021 10:54 #217511 by Grotius
Hi Foxington,

The 8139too driver is not supported in 5.10 kernels. I just installed 5.10.0-8-rt-amd64 kernel , and it's not there.

The ethercat installer, say's it's not there. But if this installer is wrong, please let me know.

Here's a list on wich kernels the driver excists : cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/8139TOO.html

One way to fix this, is to recompile a kernel, configuring the 8139too driver during the kernel config stage.

This will become a time consuming process. If you download the kernel sources and compile it, you can give it a try.

On your new install look here : /opt/ethercat/INSTALL -> at the end of file you see how to install.

Last edit: 11 Aug 2021 10:54 by Grotius.

More
11 Aug 2021 11:21 #217520 by db1981
Hi,

after adding the 8139TOO driver in the kernel, you will also have to
compile the etherlab master by yourself to get the ec_8139TOO modul.

Why do you need the 8139 driver? Under preempt rt ec_generic works just fine
if you don't need µs cycle times. The most connection problems are many times caused by other things in the environment...
Myself never had a problem with the network driver in the past years at about more then 50 Machines.

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds