EtherCat I/O

More
27 Sep 2021 20:29 - 27 Sep 2021 20:29 #221715 by ChapEng
EtherCat I/O was created by ChapEng
I'm wondering if I can use a lower cost Ethercat I/O module (rather than the name brand Bekhoff ones). Has anyone used/tried this?

Aliexpress Ethercat IO
Last edit: 27 Sep 2021 20:29 by ChapEng.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2021 12:44 #222010 by pyzworld
Replied by pyzworld on topic EtherCat I/O
Can be used, but you need to write your own driver

More
02 Oct 2021 18:41 - 02 Oct 2021 18:47 #222038 by rollfree
Replied by rollfree on topic EtherCat I/O
The question is whether the HW is well done. If the inputs and outputs are well protected, if there are no firmware errors, missing EEPROM and so on.

Connecting the system to an IgH EtherCAT master should not be a problem. All you have to do is write a configuration XML file. It's not complicated for an I/O coupler.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2021 18:47 by rollfree.

More
04 Jun 2023 07:53 #272867 by ChapEng
Replied by ChapEng on topic EtherCat I/O
I know I'm dragging up an old post here, but I hate when people ask questions and don't provide solutions. I stumbled across this old post of mine when looking for something else and figured I shouldn't be that bad person and answer my own question for anyone else looking in the future.

Preamble done.

Bottom line, you can do it, easily. This is the module I settled on:  Diewu Ethercat Slave Io Module 8 Channels 16 Input 16 Output Npn Input Module 100mbps With Dual Rj45 Port Ab Phase Encoder - Network Switches - AliExpress

You should be able to just throw the below code into your ethercat *.xml file (taking care to ensure that your slave id, pid and pdo's have the right lables) and then you'll have the pins available to you, in my case listed as: lcec.0.4.in-XX or lcec.0.4.out-XX 

I hope that helps someone else.

Warning: Spoiler!

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Jun 2023 08:59 #272868 by pippin88
Replied by pippin88 on topic EtherCat I/O
Thanks for reporting back. I have been wondering about the cheap ethercat IO units like these.

It is called 8 channel. Does it really have 16 inputs and 16 outputs?
(There are some other similar ones that have 16 in, OR 16 out, OR 8 in and 8 out)

More
04 Jun 2023 09:06 #272869 by ChapEng
The one I linked above from diewu is 16 in 16 out. The inputs are physically grouped in 4 blocks of 4 (each block can be a different voltage and npn or pnp) and the outputs are in 2 blocks of 8.

It works quite well. No complaints from me here.

Now I just need to work out my new ethercat servo that seems to have two massive pdos not smaller separate control word, status word etc pdos like my steppers. That's what lead me to search for more ethercat stuff and come across my original post, ha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
04 Jun 2023 12:09 #272873 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic EtherCat I/O
The I/O modules are fairly easy to sort out. The original one might be a bit more challenging as its got a lot more than just I/O on it.

re the servo type 
ethercat pdos >pdos.txt and share here. Somebody may have some ideas on where to go.

More
04 Jun 2023 12:47 #272876 by ChapEng
Rod, you pop up everywhere, even if you're not already on the thread hahah.

Attached is the pdos.txt
Attachments:

More
04 Jun 2023 21:20 #272912 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic EtherCat I/O
Yeh, neverr let my mates down :)

It looks it still has the 6040 and 6041 registers so they should map to status word and control word

the other 32 bit registers are probably for commanded position and velocity and actual positin and velocity
SO if you set the drive up the same as the other ones with a control word and a status word and the other 4 pins as the commanded and actual pins was the cia402 drives, you will never now your luck. If we are right,  the actual position should count with movement.

More
27 Aug 2023 00:08 #279042 by Sakhalin_Cat
Replied by Sakhalin_Cat on topic EtherCat I/O
Hello.
Thanks for the information you provided. I found an EtherCat module on Aliexpress - aliexpress.ru/item/1005005335192044.html, but I don't know if it will work with your driver. I don't understand programming and writing a driver on my own causes me difficulties. Therefore, before purchasing this device, I would like to understand that the purchase makes sense. Please see if this device can be used with LCNC and how difficult it is to register it in the system. Modules based on Beckhoff couplers work perfectly on my machine, I am delighted with them. But connecting other non-Beckhoff devices raises only many question for me.
Thanks a lot for your attention. Good luck.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds