Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry pi 3)

24 Nov 2023 23:18

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

It may take a while tho, hopefully not too long.

One thing of note, in raspi-config there's an option to switch between wayland & X11 backends, Under "Advanced Options" -> "A6". Without this option some of the interfaces wont run because of the references to X11 functions.

I've got xfce running on mine and it does seem a bit "snappier" but that could be "all in my mind".

One thing I really like is how easy it is to boot from USB. Tho I'm just using a flash drive ATM as I have a NVME hat on the way, which should be interesting.

24 Nov 2023 22:21

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

The image I built was copied to linuxcnc repos so no.
The later one of mine has some changes around repositories and also added network manager because guys were complaining bout not being able to easilly set the wifi settings (which can be set in menu-config anyway)

2.8 used a 32 bit kernel, this is 64 bit
All of the isolcpus settings are already done for you.
Lots of guys are using this with 1 ms servo period without following errors.
Following errors are related to your tuning, error finishing read is a hardware issue which is a kernel problem affecting mesa cards but we have not seen reports of that on the pi. 
24 Nov 2023 22:10

Can the OPI5 be Configured to Run LCNC?

Category: Computers and Hardware

I wanted to add another data point for the community.  This is....
() orangepi 5 plus (not using hdmi, but rather remote with 'ssh -X'.  I've not see that make much difference from being on the head)
() kernel: github.com/Joshua-Riek/linux.git branch v6.6-rk3588-hdmi with patch-6.6-rt15.patch
() linuxcnc from raspberrypi iso
() cmdline: idle=poll isolcpus=4,5
() latency-histogram --sbinsize 400 --show (with 10 glxgear and misc other commands being run)
() rtapi_app:T#[01] assigned to cpus 4 and 5, respectively (manual reassignment of threads for testing) 
     >> ps -T -eo pid,tid,class,rtprio,ni,pri,psr,pcpu,stat,wchan:14,comm | grep rtapi

1614    1614 TS       -   0  19   6  8.4 SLsl -              rtapi_app
        1614    1615 TS       -   0  19   7  0.1 SLsl -              rtapi_app:mesg
        1614    1616 FF      98   - 138   4  8.1 SLsl -              rtapi_app:T#0
        1614    1617 FF      97   - 137   5  0.2 SLsl -              rtapi_app:T#1
     >> sudo taskset -cp 4 1616
     >> sudo taskset -cp 5 1617
cpus 4-7 appear to be the faster A76 cores; there seems to be a noticeable speed improvement over cores 0-3. 

24 Nov 2023 20:43 - 24 Nov 2023 20:44

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

Is this a different image than the one on the downloads ,link below? I am unable to get one linked below to work with my mesa 7i76e, I keep getting  following errors even with the servo thread set to 2ms. I had the same config working under 2.8 on the same pi 4b. I remember having to set the system to stay on one core to get it working, is that still needed?

-Thanks

www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.9.1-bookworm-rpi4.img.xz
24 Nov 2023 18:21
Replied by Calysto on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I've send Mesa an email about this.... for what it's worth.. That's the only thing I can do about it I guess...

A friend of my wanted to swap my Pi4 1GB to his 4GB version. Very happy with that!! For now I can go further with Linuxcnc 2.9.1.

They are talking about 2-3 times faster, but it feels like 4-5 times faster, booting, browsing, etc... Only running Linuxcnc is endless slower... ;-)

About power draw of the Pi5, when Linuxcnc will work on it, I wil just set the usb_max_current_enable in config.txt. 7c80, SSD and Pi5 together only use 10Watt in normal state.
24 Nov 2023 09:00

Newbie need help, touch plate making.

Category: Basic Configuration

sorry i not has longtime can go to looking forum because my table computer(raspberrypi4) has broken and all has need do new image and build all my bookmarks new can go to internet and looking forum. new bookworm image not run good my raspian, lag lot.
you say change path ??? under (RS274NG)
user and subroutine, what i need change ???
i has try run test g-code "linuxcnc" text. but if i move manual bit top off wood corner, and then bush "touch off/antasten" button and bush Z current. and then run example text g-code, machine run code but far top off wood, on to air. not in to wood carving thats text.
i has try antasten many other current,G54,G92,gxx what here have but alltime i run g-code bit go to up far and run on air this g-code, not to wood piece.
i not understand now how i can (zero) all and make position have zero bit hight on top off wood corner and run g-code to in wood not far out up air.
ok, i try copy this you zip file to my machine and try new all again.
21 Nov 2023 10:08
Replied by rodw on topic Reboot Command

Reboot Command

Category: PathPilot

That can be setup by placing a file in /etc/sudoers.d
With Linuxcnc's raspberry pi Bookworm installer, this was the default behaviour and we removed the feature. (by deleting the user's file)

I think this link explains how to do it. But what would I know I only undid it!
forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5503

This was our script to remove the file created by the default installer. 
rm -f /p2/etc/sudoers.d/010_${USERNAME}-nopasswd
21 Nov 2023 01:58

A 2nd hand PC that is able to run Linuxcnc with a Mesa card is cheaper than a Raspberry Pi, at least in most cases.

Tommy is the guru on second hand PCs for Linuxcnc, generally laptops are a no go, in case you were wondering.
21 Nov 2023 01:52

thankfully (kinda?) my machine is big enough that the space required by a tower PC is not worth factoring in. The electrical cabinet is bigger than many wardrobes
and it even has a nice swing out shelf for the computer :-D

The size is only kinda of benefit because i dont know when I'll ever machine anything that size, and I dont know where im going to park the lawn mower :-D
20 Nov 2023 23:18

Once you switch to the Mesa cards jitter isn’t an issue as you don’t need a base thread.
I’ve got an old Lenovo i5 tower that I found by the side of the road that is fine for using a Mesa Ethernet card.
Unfortunately space is at a premium in my work shop.
20 Nov 2023 22:35

That was going to be my suggestion- I do the same thing to backup my phone on an SSD, works really well.

Cant be too upset with any usability issues- Its only been out 5 minutes :-D

I have mixed emotions about using desktop PC's. I have previously had jitter issues (just using a parallel port based breakout board) but hope that this will be resolved with a more powerful PC and ethernet mesa card - with my newer cnc machine the stakes are high if something was to go wrong. It feels good to make use of hardware which is otherwise life expired- but its hardly an elegant solution.

having a reliable, powerful, foolproof and easy to setup rpi based system would be the holy grail for linux CNC.
20 Nov 2023 18:51
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I've connected my Pi5 to my 7c80. I've powered my 7c80 with a 24V/5A power supply. When the Pi boots, it's complaining about getting not enough power for my usb SSD. So, the 7c80 is not delivering enough... 

There's always the option to power the Pi separately, but not with extra steps....

Still hoping that it will work.....some day.... before christmas? :-) Who do we need to send an email, call, whatsapp, spam, ask for a bank account??? :-)

You could try connect your SSD via a powered USB hub. Not sure if you can boot that way.
20 Nov 2023 16:36 - 20 Nov 2023 17:26
Replied by Calysto on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I've connected my Pi5 to my 7c80. I've powered my 7c80 with a 24V/5A power supply. When the Pi boots, it's complaining about getting not enough power for my usb SSD. So, the 7c80 is not delivering enough... 

There's always the option to power the Pi separately, but not with extra steps....

Still hoping that it will work.....some day.... before christmas? :-) Who do we need to send an email, call, whatsapp, spam, ask for a bank account??? :-)

20 Nov 2023 12:43

Flash a XC6SLX9 dev board as a 7i90HD

Category: Driver Boards

>Have you tried one of the banana 5 boards with a 7i90 using the hm2_spi driver. I >tried with the latest Raspberry Pi 5 and it keep erroring with SPI timeouts. The >hm2_rpspi driver doesn't work at all.

That I suspect is because the address of the gpio controller doesn't match the rpi4b address. With a genuine rpi4b the rpspi driver works flawlessly. Bertho Stultans, a cs prof at a swedish uni was kind enough to write that driver, and rewrite for the rpi4b when it came out. Perhaps he would supply an include file to make it work with the bpi5, IDK and have not had any correspondence with him since, no need to as it just works, sending 32 bit packet at 42 megabaud and receiving the replies from the 7i90HD at 25 megabaud. My spi cable is maybe 1.25" long as I turned the pi upside down so the connecters were pin aligned. And old 12 volt fan, borrowed from a defunct video card running on 5 volts and mounted under the pi is all the cooling its needed in around 5 years. And my copy of the docs says its directly connected to the fpga, no buffers.

If Peter has since modified it to provide 5 v tolerant buffers, he hasn't told me.
20 Nov 2023 12:12

Flash a XC6SLX9 dev board as a 7i90HD

Category: Driver Boards

I only linked to this thread as Pete mentions that 7i90 have FET bus switches, as do the 7i92 and 7c81, which the schematics have been shared by Pete. This gives a basic 3.3v to 5v translation. According to the Spartan 6 data sheets the inputs are tolerant up to 4.1v.

Have you tried one of the banana 5 boards with a 7i90 using the hm2_spi driver. I tried with the latest Raspberry Pi 5 and it keep erroring with SPI timeouts. The hm2_rpspi driver doesn't work at all.
I hooked back up to my RP-400 and the hm2_spi driver ok. The hm2_rpspi does work on it fine.
I've got a couple of prototype boards that work with the same Dev board which is about AUD $70 dollars now. It has the FET bus switches and has 2xDB25 connectors that will work with a standard Parallel Port breakout board or with the Mesa DB25 boards. There's also a 2*5 pin header that gives you 6 extra GPIOs with GND & 5v. That's the board that connects to the left hand header if you look at the dev board with the USB connector at the top.
The second board has the SPI connector 2x5 so that there's a ground wire between each signal. Then there's 4 of 2x10 connectors that have 8 GPIOs 5v power on the top 10 pins and ground on the bottom 10 pins.

On all boards the signal from the FPGA are routed through a get bus switch running on a 3.9v power rail, and on the "world side" pulled up to 5v, this gives about 3.2~ volts on the FPGA side . Pretty much the way Mesa do things.
The only smd parts are the bus switches everything else is through hole, makes assembly easier. Too many dollars to get the PCB fab house to assemble the board.
Displaying 856 - 870 out of 1058 results.
Time to create page: 2.732 seconds