New Plasma build question

More
25 Jul 2019 22:00 #140573 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic New Plasma build question
Thanks Rod .But you have TB3 pin 06 as -5v is this correct or do you mean GND

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2019 23:08 #140586 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New Plasma build question
Clive sorry, yes, I updated my wiring table. It was never meant for public consumption so I knew what I meant!

More
30 Jul 2019 17:16 #140963 by Clive S
Update:

Z axis nearly finished with floating head. photos.app.goo.gl/mEhB8WJ8V7MzB3ks5

Needs the sensors fitting yet. I know I need a floating head switch does it also need a breakaway switch as I seem to have read somewhere that the float switch will do both.

More
30 Jul 2019 17:27 #140965 by tommylight
I use it for both, just make it sensitive so it activates on side collisions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
02 Aug 2019 16:18 #141198 by Clive S
Ok I am keep my questions here in one thread .

I now have the Z axis built and now need to work out the the floating head sensor and breakout sensor.

So; The floating head (with the torch on a separate magnetic mount) rides up & down on a rail about 75mm long.

What are the steps for this ie. Does the total Z axis (on the screw) move down until the torch hits the part then it keeps moving down until the floating head switch trips.

When this switch trips does it then does move the total Z axis up until the floating head trips again.

As the floating head must be in the down position with gravity when cutting.

Have I got this correct.?

I would like to put the breakout torch plate switch on a separate pin. Is this the correct way. I am using a 7i95 mesa

More
02 Aug 2019 17:03 #141204 by tommylight
There are two Z axis together for floating head, one with 10 - 20 mm travel for the switch, the other is the normal Z axis.

More
02 Aug 2019 17:08 - 12 Sep 2019 14:31 #141206 by Clive S

There are two Z axis together for floating head, one with 10 - 20 mm travel for the switch, the other is the normal Z axis.

Yes I understand that I thought I said that here:

What are the steps for this ie. Does the total Z axis (on the screw) move down until the torch hits the part then it keeps moving down until the floating head switch trips.

When this switch trips does it then does move the total Z axis up until the floating head trips again.

I have a separate switch already for the main Z axis fitted at the top.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2019 14:31 by Clive S. Reason: added link

More
02 Aug 2019 18:12 #141214 by tommylight
Sorry Clive, i was at a factory operating some new PET blow molding machine so i just skimmed through.

More
02 Aug 2019 20:41 - 02 Aug 2019 20:42 #141228 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic New Plasma build question
Clive, Good to see progress. I used seperate sensor for breakaway

I think if I did this again, i'd probably just notch the side side of the plate and place a microswitch or more compact prox sensor as it hangs out a bit at the back now.

My float switch. I added a steel plate to make sure the prox xensor triggered but it was probably not required.

I subsequently added a set screw on the other side so I could fine tune the amount of sensor hysteresis. All I did was drill and tap a hole thru the same part the sensor is threaded into, insert a flat headed countersunk screw with a lock nut from the underside. That way I could easilly adjust the sensor distance so the hystersis is at a minimum.

And yes, the torch hangs at the lower position while cutting. When I was using Gcode, I probed towards the surface and then probed away at a slower speed until it reset.. Then set the material height after allowing for any offset for switch hysteresis (which is why I made that adjustable). I think plasmac does the same thing.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2019 20:42 by rodw.

More
02 Aug 2019 21:04 #141232 by Clive S
Rod
Sorry I am still not sure I understand the logic. Looking at the last photo with the blue sensor and red micro switch is the plate to the right your floating plate? If that is so when probing that plate will move up towards the sensor OR is the sensor fixed to that plate so that the sensor moves with the plate away from the target.

What is the red micro switch for Is that your home switch.

You can see my home switch on my Z axis with a metal target. photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNUdw-6hGS_...SRapcTq-N4AMKs6eNIo9

Is this logic correct:-

Does the total Z axis (on the screw) move down until the torch hits the part then it keeps moving down until the floating head switch trips.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds