3.5X1.5 Meters cnc plasma cutter

More
03 Nov 2019 15:30 #149496 by machinedude
only half as much as you it seems :) wish i was excited like you :) off to see what i can mess up today for a while on my junk. thinking since i have 8 leveling casters it might not be a bad idea to use them all rather than just a set in the middle while i'm back to the drawing board :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2019 16:54 #149928 by tommylight
Some progress:
Painted mat dark grey ( not my choice, but better than nothing)
Lettering on the gantry, both sides (despite me sending them an SVG with correct dimensions, they managed to mess up the dimensions! )
Pictures:
Front

Back

Been busy working on the small machine as i had to change it's designation from a plasma to an engraver, so i though it would be nice to add height adjustment and then also thought of making it motorised, so i keep complicating everything. Will upload pictures of that machine later.
Regards,
Tom.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
08 Nov 2019 21:36 - 08 Nov 2019 21:39 #149941 by thefabricator03
As always Tom, looking good.

The sign writing has come up well.

Did you use a single pack paint or a two pack? Enamel or acrylic?
Last edit: 08 Nov 2019 21:39 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Nov 2019 21:56 #149942 by tommylight

The sign writing has come up well.

Not really, the lower part, right side the lettering is smaller than the left side, they should have been the same, that is why there is a void between them now.

Did you use a single pack paint or a two pack? Enamel or acrylic?

Lettering or machine?
Lettering is adhesive foil, machine is some new type used here lately, i have no clue what or how as is stains a lot, like you can see fingerprints from 3 meters far !
Most of it is going to be covered by panels so eager to see how it looks at the end.
Thank you.
P.S.
Busy with this:
Attachments:

More
09 Nov 2019 08:28 #149969 by machinedude
looks pretty nice on both machines. paint is typical soft for a while even after it is dry. it takes a while to fully cure.

i can't even paint this time of year because it's to cold without heat. once you hit 65 degrees that's about the bottom limit for painting anything, metal temp is about 15 degrees below what it is outside so that complicates finishes as well.

i'm curious about the industrial enamel i'm going to be using once i get that far.hopefully it is something durable enough? I've never used the industrial grade before so hopefully it's not much different than the automotive type.

what ever type you have it looks good in a picture, hopefully it was used with some type of hardener? if you notice fingerprints getting in it that's soft paint which is normal for a while but if it still is something you notice after about 3 or 4 weeks then the paint could just be that soft in general and that would be something i would expect with no hardener in the paint system.

looks good regardless.

More
09 Nov 2019 14:31 #149985 by pl7i92
is this a fully asambled mashine or does it come as a Kit without welding

More
09 Nov 2019 16:05 #149990 by tommylight
This one can be disassembled and transported as a 4.5X0.85X0.5 M box.
That is without the material table.

More
11 Nov 2019 18:22 #150144 by tommylight
Some more work done while i am waiting for the cable management or energy chain to arrive and the side and front plate to be cut on a cnc. Now, if anyone has an idea what should be written on those sides and front, feel free to chime in. Had a bit of plastic left from the cover of Z axis so i made these covers for the sides:

Also notice the motors are changed, now 3MN Nema 23 at 110mm of length.

Regards,
Tom.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, thefabricator03

More
17 Nov 2019 01:44 #150501 by tommylight
This is the console for the machine, sans the bottom part and a swivelling arm, hopefully tomorrow.

And here is how far down the torch can go, all 280mm of it.

Still waiting on the bloody drag chain, after some failed attempts at ordering it. On Monday i have to visit a guy who shopud have some left, maybe i can score some.
Regards,
Tom.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
19 Nov 2019 05:51 #150610 by thefabricator03
Tom,

Do you have any experience using large stepper motors on a large heavy plasma gantry?

If so how did you find their performance?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds