My Newb Plasma Table Attempted Build

More
15 Aug 2020 04:37 #178232 by dvn4life1972
Then hopefully yours wasn't empty like mine is :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2020 07:51 #178241 by tommylight

What're you guys using for lube (grease) on your bearing blocks?

Car gearbox oil while testing, then same as Rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, dvn4life1972

More
15 Aug 2020 11:15 #178257 by machinedude
i used this Brand just because it was easy enough to get. Advanced auto parts stocks it and it was around 5 or 6 bucks for a tube. i seen it works for high speed bearing applications so seemed like a good fit. i'm not sure what kind of auto part stores are in your area but i would think any store would have some choices.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvn4life1972

More
15 Aug 2020 14:08 #178280 by dvn4life1972
I'm in Texas, so we have Advanced stores around.

More
15 Aug 2020 14:09 #178281 by dvn4life1972
I used silicone spray while testing...I'll grab some grease today for it.

More
20 Sep 2020 13:28 #182899 by dvn4life1972

Found that the latency is pretty horrible on the Gigabyte BRIX S PC that I got for the table. I just swapped it back to the older Dell desktop

Define pretty horrible please!

Remember that you are not running a base thread so latency requirements are much relaxed. Maybe < 200000 is still OK. Also the included wifi is awful so pull it and add a USB wifi dongle.

Rod,

Aren't you running one of the Gigabyte BRIX PC's? If so, which one? I've had a heck of a time getting my latency down to 200000 on it. Getting back to the 4.9.x kernel reduced it by half, but I can't fine-tune things in BIOS because mine is UEFI.

More
20 Sep 2020 20:27 #182953 by dvn4life1972
I've circled back and succeeded with making this BRIX PC work to control the machine. This is a good score for me because now I can easily fit all of my electronics into the new enclosure I had bought for the table retrofit.

Also, I now have my THCAD-5 so I can soon get on with the hypersensing. Just need to get the ohmic part for the wire to hook onto. That would make this a proper half-pint table then, wouldn't it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Sep 2020 21:02 #182961 by tommylight

I've circled back and succeeded with making this BRIX PC work to control the machine.

Glad you got it working.

More
20 Sep 2020 21:10 #182965 by rodw

I've circled back and succeeded with making this BRIX PC work to control the machine.

Glad you got it working.

Me too!

I never had any problems getting the BRIX to an OK latency. It makes me think that they must have changed something as I bought mine a few years ago.

More
20 Sep 2020 21:31 #182969 by dvn4life1972
Rod, I think the major change that is causing the hiccups is they ditched regular BIOS for straight-up UEFI. Had to depart from my old-school but familiar Debian Stretch, as there's no way to boot into it to get it installed on these now. Mint is nice though, definitely more modern lol.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds