Post Processor for LinuxCNC and PlasmaC

More
09 May 2021 15:18 - 09 May 2021 15:49 #208383 by sm2wmv
Right now the post for Sheetcam is a mix of using its own kerf compensation etc but still uses built in parameters from PlasmaC, such as THC voltage, cut height etc. Which feels a bit like needing to maintain two things. Of course I could always modify the post, which might what I end up doing.

Feels like it would make more sense to modify cut parameters such as kerf, cut speed etc. directly in QtPlasmaC and keep that library on the CNC machine instead of needing to change these parameters in the CAM software,generate new code and then run it again. I would really like to be able to adjust this on the fly at the machine.

How do you people do with this? Is it possible to do so that Sheetcam does "cut on line" but still do the lead in/out properly on the right side as if I would chose Outside offset, and have QtPlasmaC do the kerf compensation? So that two libraries does not need to be maintained.

I use Fusion 360 for most of my CAD work but bought Sheetcam after reading comments it is the best to use for this type of work. Also it is nice to be able to quickly CAD something up in QCad, quickly CAM it and run it directly at the Plasma machine console.

Edit: I found Les PP for Sheetcam that seem to work
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 May 2021 15:49 by sm2wmv. Reason: I found another PP which worked.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2021 17:05 #208395 by snowgoer540
Cutter compensation is generally not done at the machine due to the fact that certain features are not possible while cutter compensation is active. This is a LinuxCNC limitation and not due to QtPlasmac/PlasmaC.

Note the "IMPORTANT" note in this section: www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/..._cutter-compensation

More
09 May 2021 17:32 #208398 by sm2wmv
Aha, oh well. Then I guess I will try to adapt stuff so that it makes it as easy as possible to generate new code. I am happy that I found the PP that Les did because it worked pretty good so far from what I have tested so far.

More
17 Jun 2021 16:48 - 17 Jun 2021 16:55 #212283 by sm2wmv
;begin material setup
 T0 M6 (select plasma tool)
 G43 H0 (apply tool offsets)
 (o=0, ph=3.5, pd=0.5, ch=1.5, fr=3200, th=1, cv=110, pe=0, jh=0, jd=0)
 F#<_hal[plasmac.cut-feed-rate]>
;end material setup
That just gives me an error
Temporary materials was not loaded in a timely manner: Try to reload the G-Code file." and then Qtvcp error saying "Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 1529, in <lambda>
    self.materialTempPin.value_changed.connect(lambda w:self.material_temp_pin_changed(w))
  File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 2763, in material_temp_pin_changed
    with open(self.tmpMaterialFileGCode, 'r') as f_in:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/tmp/qtplasmac/PlasmaCNC_material.gcode'

The "/tmp/qtplasmac/PlasmaCNC_material.gcode" does not exist, but /tmp/qtplasmac/plasmacnc_material.gcode does exist with all lower case letters. If I copy that file and name it "/tmp/qtplasmac/PlasmaCNC_material.gcode" instead. Then I get this error,
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 1529, in <lambda>
    self.materialTempPin.value_changed.connect(lambda w:self.material_temp_pin_changed(w))
  File "/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtplasmac/qtplasmac_handler.py", line 2795, in material_temp_pin_changed
    self.w.materialTempPin.set(0)
AttributeError: 'VCPWindow' object has no attribute 'materialTempPin'

If I change the o=1 or o=2 it says,
"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./qtplasmac/qtplasmac_gcode.py", line 568, in <module>
    check_material_edit()
  File "./qtplasmac/qtplasmac_gcode.py", line 337, in check_material_edit
    if newMaterial[0] in [0, 1, 2]:
IndexError: list index out of range"

If I instead use the built in material in QtPlasmaC it works fine. However since I do the kerf compensation in SheetCAM I want to use the material parameters from that instead of needing to both update the library in QtPlasmaC and SheetCAM.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2021 16:55 by sm2wmv.

More
17 Jun 2021 17:24 - 17 Jun 2021 18:49 #212284 by snowgoer540
What version of QtPlasmaC are you using? It should be in the title bar.

EDIT: And/Or: Could you post the file you are trying to cut?
Last edit: 17 Jun 2021 18:49 by snowgoer540.

More
18 Jun 2021 05:52 #212311 by phillc54

self.w.materialTempPin.set(0)

You need to update, that pin name error was fixed on April 29
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
26 Oct 2021 13:05 #224393 by fernandosf
This topic is kind of old, not sure if it applies to QTPlasmaC, does it?

Also, I don't have latest version of SheetCam (mine is 6.0) and I see old PP distributed with it, where can I find a PP that works with newest QTPlasmaC + old SheetCam ?

More
26 Oct 2021 17:29 #224407 by bevins

This topic is kind of old, not sure if it applies to QTPlasmaC, does it?

Also, I don't have latest version of SheetCam (mine is 6.0) and I see old PP distributed with it, where can I find a PP that works with newest QTPlasmaC + old SheetCam ?

The PP that is being used is plasmac  in sheetcam. IT works for QTPlasmaC and plasmaC. Hoever the plasmaC PP does not come with the latest version of sheetcam for linux, it is provided in Sheetcam for windows. I had to download the windopws version to get it. Someone should post  and sticky it, cause every other day someone is looking for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fernandosf

More
26 Oct 2021 20:13 #224422 by rodw
The Plasmac post ptocessor is included int a beta release for linux you can download from here
forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8651

Using the Windows version in an airconditioned office and transferring files to the machine by FTP is my preference :)

More
26 Oct 2021 21:11 #224429 by bevins
I am usi g the windows sheetcam PP in linux sheetcam and it is working.
Is this a bad thing to do?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds