Fusion 360 post processor file for Plamac

More
15 Jan 2020 01:27 #154879 by CFE
Hi All,
we are currently upgrading our old linuxCNC EMC 2.5 plasma system to the latest Plasmac with a touch screen and torch height controller. We use Fusion 360 to create all our parts to be cut out on the plasma and post the G-code. We use a Hypertherm powermax85. Does anyone have a post processor file for fusion 360 that posts correct for Plasmac ? And does anyone have a material file for that suits the powemax 85 that i can use as a starting point.
I searched through most of the forums relating to post files and can only find sheetcam posts, but in the forum forum.linuxcnc.org/fusion-360/36870-fusi...or-for-plasma#137907 docwelch mentioned that he was working on a fusion 360 post processor
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou in advance
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2020 08:48 #154896 by rodw
There are Sheetcam tooltables for the HT 85 online. The easiest solution would be to convert those files using the plasmac materialverter.

I thought the F360 post processor had been shared on the forum

More
16 Jan 2020 01:21 #154988 by CFE
Thanks Rod, thankyou for the advice on the material tooltable. I have found where people are talking about finalising or making changes for a post processor for fusion 360, but i can find the uploaded file. if you can remember which forum it was posted on i will go through it again

Thankyou

More
19 Feb 2020 21:04 #157897 by docwelch
Sorry, work has kept me away and I have not had time to chime in on this forum for a while. I do have a post processor for Fusion360 that works - when Fusion360 CAM works correctly. I started with the basic LinuxCNC post processor and made modifications. The biggest issue I was trying to conquer was improvement in small hole cutting. Based on several forum posts, slowing down cut speed, starting at the center of the hole and arcing to the perimeter, and overcutting the hole with the torch off improves cut quality. In my testing, these modifications did dramatically improve the quality of the cut for small diameter holes (<35 mm). I was able to make all these things happen with my post processor but it requires Fusion360 CAM to cut the hole as a single arc. The problem is that it does not always create a single 360 degree arc to cut a small hole. Randomly, Fusion360 CAM will break that small hole into 2, 3, or more arcs. I've worked and worked on it and have not found a solution. I posted on the Fusion360 forum yesterday and have not had any helpful responses so far. The one response I got was that certainly Fusion360 should make all these holes a single arc and not break them up but there was no suggestion as to how to make that happen. I've had parts with only 2 small holes and it got one right and broke the other one up into 3 arcs. I redrew it, copied/pasted, etc. and finally had to just hand code the second hole to make it work. I currently have a project with over 200 holes and there's no way I'm going to hand code that. Trying to write code to make the post processor figure out that several arcs actually make up one circle might be possible, but it is not something that seems worth the effort at this point. I'm seriously considering giving up Fusion360 CAM unless I happen to get a solution on their forum. I've seen mention of others having this problem with Fusion360 CAM but no one has posted a solution and I do not see anywhere that Autodesk has acknowledged that they are working on this issue.

Because of this issue, I have never released the post processor.

Steven
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, thefabricator03

More
20 Feb 2020 05:57 #157935 by CFE
Thankyou for replying Steven, the small glitches with fusion 360 are disappointing, hopefully they can solve this error soon (and the glitches are reduced as the program evolves,) as it is good program in many ways and suits our diverse jobbing. We have had some issues upgrading and installing Linux CNC gmaccopy and PlasmaC but we are nearly there now. Small hole processing aside for the minute do you know what fusion 360 post processor is the best to start with in the mean time to work with PlasmaC?

More
20 Feb 2020 09:51 #157970 by thefabricator03
Steven,

For the mean time why not get a copy of SheetCAM and export your parts from Fusion as DXF or DSTV format?

I use everyday a very expensive 3d modeling software called Tekla Structures. when I create a part like a base plate or purlin cleat, I export the part in DSTV format and SheetCAM imports it with absolutely no issues.

Until you get your issues with the fusion post sorted it might be worth the small investment.

More
20 Feb 2020 11:45 #157986 by snowgoer540

Steven,

For the mean time why not get a copy of SheetCAM and export your parts from Fusion as DXF or DSTV format?

I use everyday a very expensive 3d modeling software called Tekla Structures. when I create a part like a base plate or purlin cleat, I export the part in DSTV format and SheetCAM imports it with absolutely no issues.

Until you get your issues with the fusion post sorted it might be worth the small investment.

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/36568-po...and-plasmac?start=90

Does that thread still have the latest SheetCAM post processor files? It's a lot to wade through, I think I found the latest, but I'm not too sure...

More
20 Feb 2020 11:58 #157987 by phillc54
I have a Sheetcam post here, I can post it in the morning if you like.

More
20 Feb 2020 11:59 #157988 by snowgoer540

I have a Sheetcam post here, I can post it in the morning if you like.

Sure, that would be appreciated.

More
20 Feb 2020 16:26 #158023 by docwelch
Tim,

I started with the LinuxCNC post processor. Sorry that I did not save any intermediate changes I made. As I remember it, it was not too hard to get it converted over to work with plasmaC. I think you will be disappointed with the quality of the small hole cutting but I'll let you decide.

In all honesty, if I were you, I would not waste my time with Fusion360 CAM at this point but would go with Sheetcam (as thefabricator03 suggested). That's what I am probably going to do. I have had no other responses to the Fusion360 CAM issue and doubt Autodesk is going to be anxious to correct the problem as this is an edge case. If the issue with Fusion360 is corrected, I'll happily put my post-processor out for others to use.

I have not looked at the post processors for Sheetcam that have been posted lately so I am hoping Phil will go ahead and post the one he has.

Steven

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds