THCAD

More
20 Apr 2020 12:19 #164835 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THCAD

I am looking at some document changes and I want to mention some practical options for users.

At the price point, nothing can compare to the THCAD. A friend costed some of the components on it and could not work out how PCW did it for USD $69!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2020 12:19 #164836 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic THCAD

I think the Arduino way would use serial and that would only be userspace wouldn't it.

Not really, with some clever programming arduino can output up to 1MHz on outputs, ESP can do more.
Using that output to a fast opto would be enough to wire it directly to encoder input. No serial.

More
20 Apr 2020 12:21 #164837 by tommylight

At the price point, nothing can compare to the THCAD. A friend costed some of the components on it and could not work out how PCW did it for USD $69!

Just the time to make any of the above would prove more costly, and the reliability and functionality would be nowhere near what THCAD offers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Apr 2020 12:22 #164838 by phillc54
Replied by phillc54 on topic THCAD
I would guess someone clever enough to go down that route wouldn't require connection instructions in the docs.

More
20 Apr 2020 12:25 #164839 by tommylight

I would guess someone clever enough to go down that route wouldn't require connection instructions in the docs.

Not really.
Times have changed, 30 years ago knowing electronics meant really knowing how things work and what everything does in a circuit. Nowadays, anyone who made the arduino LED blink thinks he knows electronics and programming !
:)

More
20 Apr 2020 12:29 #164840 by phillc54
I think I will stick with "readily available"
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Apr 2020 12:30 #164841 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THCAD
You keep coming back to encoder inputs. There must be other methods to get an analog signal into linuxcnc.

You might be able to use the GPIO on a Raspberry .

But we are not talking about done for you modules and you come back to the THCAD as the only viable option unless you are using ethercat. But if you go that way its not something for the hobbyist and you will want deep pockets.

And they definitely won't need your instructions.....

More
20 Apr 2020 12:33 #164843 by phillc54
I think the docs only need to be for practical off the shelf methods, anything DIY is out of scope.

More
20 Apr 2020 12:34 #164844 by tommylight
Every computer has at least two analogue inputs that can be used for that, albeit very limited in sensitivity! Audio inputs. They are usually +-1V PP, so a total of 2V usable

More
20 Apr 2020 14:08 #164859 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic THCAD
The real issue for THC is that for best performance you need an isolated sensor
this is because you want to measure the voltage between the work and the torch
The work connection is theoretically at ground potential but may differ by a few volts
DC and worse may have significant continuous HF noise and large spikes when the arc
is established. (due the the finite inductance of the ground path and the ability of the arc to generate very fast current steps)

In addition to measurement considerations, you really don't want the very dirty plasma source ground connected to the control system ground, creating a ground loop.

This is not saying you can not make a simple isolated measurement system, heck, you could use a 555 timer rigged up as a V-F converter and a low cost OPTO and have a
working isolated measurement system for less than $1.00. (though you still need an
isolated power supply and this is a bit tricky since this isolated supply may provide
a path for HF currents into the control system)
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds